Thread: How Do I Enable IAT with MAF Disabled?

Default How Do I Enable IAT with MAF Disabled?

Considering trying VE Tune. Trying to figure out how to provide IAT to PCM when MAF disabled. Car is 02 Corvette with 5 pin MAF!!

Disabling the MAF disables the MAF, not the temp sensor. Just follow the instructions and it will work fine. Don't be discouraged if AutoVE doesn't get you where you want to go. In my experience, it takes a lot of time and patience to dial things in with AutoVE.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590

Thanks. I think I became confused when the tutorial indicated to check with two forums for instructions on configuring 5 pin MAFS!!

Quote Originally Posted by dfe1
    Disabling the MAF disables the MAF, not the temp sensor. Just follow the instructions and it will work fine. Don't be discouraged if AutoVE doesn't get you where you want to go. In my experience, it takes a lot of time and patience to dial things in with AutoVE.
    ? "takes a lot of time and patience" please explain how that works I've found it to be quick and easy. And the IAT probe is located in the MAF so disconnecting the MAF would disable the IAT sensor and he is trying to read the IAT.

You'll need a seperate sensor to plug or splice in. You should be able to dial your SD tune in within a hour and 3 or 4 flashes if your doing it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by MN C5
    ? "takes a lot of time and patience" please explain how that works I've found it to be quick and easy. And the IAT probe is located in the MAF so disconnecting the MAF would disable the IAT sensor and he is trying to read the IAT.

You'll need a seperate sensor to plug or splice in. You should be able to dial your SD tune in within a hour and 3 or 4 flashes if your doing it properly.
    If I don't have to disconnect the MAF, and with the MAF disabled by changing high frequency fail to 1 MZ, can I assume that the IAT can still be read by the PCM? This seems to be my understanding. 5 pin MAF's do not have to be disconnected, correct?

I put a 3 wire conector on the wires going to the MAF on my 5 wire MAF so I could just unplug the MAF part, and with just seting it to fail, I get the same BIN numbers whether it was pluged in or unpluged, so you should be fine seting it to fail and leaving it pluged in.
    01 ECSB 1/2 ton 4x4 Forged 5.7 LS1 GMC

Custom KBracing front mounted, BW S480, intercooled turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Chalky
    If I don't have to disconnect the MAF, and with the MAF disabled by changing high frequency fail to 1 MZ, can I assume that the IAT can still be read by the PCM? This seems to be my understanding. 5 pin MAF's do not have to be disconnected, correct?
    You don't need to physically disconnect the MAF provided the PCM throws any of these DTC's: P0101, P0102, P0103;
    the presence of any of these DTC indicates the PCM is ignoring the MAF and is using only the VE table ("SD" mode).

If the PCM doesn't throw any of these DTC's, then you need to physically disconnect the MAF; you can do this in several ways:
    a. using a pick, remove just the MAF signal wire from the 5 pin connector;
    b. cut the MAF signal wire and splice in an in-line switch;
    c. get a 5-wire MAF extension cable and cut the 3 MAF wires;
    d. get an adapter cable that already does this.
    (search the LS1tech for this).

When the PCM is ignoring the MAF, the PCM will still read the IAT.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    You don't need to physically disconnect the MAF provided the PCM throws any of these DTC's: P0101, P0102, P0103;
    the presence of any of these DTC indicates the PCM is ignoring the MAF and is using only the VE table ("SD" mode).

If the PCM doesn't throw any of these DTC's, then you need to physically disconnect the MAF; you can do this in several ways:
    a. using a pick, remove just the MAF signal wire from the 5 pin connector;
    b. cut the MAF signal wire and splice in an in-line switch;
    c. get a 5-wire MAF extension cable and cut the 3 MAF wires;
    d. get an adapter cable that already does this.
    (search the LS1tech for this).

When the PCM is ignoring the MAF, the PCM will still read the IAT.
    I agree 100%. I guess I have been lucky on the 5 wire mafs I have not had to do any of those other steps yet, I have always got the maf to fail. On my 02 vette Im running a custom os without my maf and its still pluged in with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MN C5

As has been posted, disabling (as opposed to removing) the MAF doesn't interfere with IAT. As for AutoVE, perhaps I'm not doing it right, but I just haven't had good results. When I look at the BEN map, the max values in most cells are above 1.0, the minimum values are below 1.0 and the average is somewhere in between. When I use the average to adjust VE, it always seems to get things further away from where they should be. I've had better and quicker results by just data logging with the wide band and using that data to adjust VE.
    DigitalEFI- EFILive US Distributor
    sales@digitalefi.com
    678/344-1590