Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: EFILive 2.8L Duramax E98 ECM Support

Lifetime Member

I understand the frustration, but in I believe every case except if there is a defect, once the COS/DSPx are publicly released, they aren't enhanced any further. They may be added to additional OS', but with the same features.

When Ross/et all go dig to find a new, unmapped table, they're looking through and tracing GM's code. They could even move code that isnt understood aka mapped around to create room for a COS/DSPx.

This is drastically different than building a COS/DSPx, to do this they're moving parts of (I'm assuming) GM's code and duplicating/creating new tables wherever there is room left in the flash. There's only so much flash space available to store everything inside the controller.

I'm not super familiar with digging through hex or building COS', so this is purely conceptual as to how I think COS' work:
    1. To be super basic, let's start with all the flash space available. 1=used, 0=unused: 1110110110
    2. Out of 10 pieces, 3 are free. Notice that there are used pieces (1s) in groups of 2 and 3, but all the unused is separate from any other unused section. In order to pull 2 unused sections together and put some meaningful tables into those sections, code must be optimized/moved/refactored. Let's say that the first step is to get them to align with the 1st unused space located in section 4. Due to code structure, it's actually better to move the code in section 5 to section 10 and not to section 7. We now have this: 1110010111
    3. Great, now let's say we can put 5 new tables into sections 4 and 5. 2=new code: 1112210111
    4. We now have 1 free section at section 7. I want to add a new table that requires 2 open sections. Unfortunately, I can't because I only have 1 free section. Therefore, I put a table that requires 1 section into the code instead: 3=new new code: 1112213111
    5. I now have all 10 sections populated with a fixed set of tables. If I want to change or add another in, something must be moved around. Maybe this table requires 2 sections, but the only piece I'm willing to give up is the last piece we added (ending with 1112213111). This simply isnt possible without making a sacrifice elsewhere.

Again, this is my conceptual understanding, and for all I know, it may not be possible to even move ANY of the existing code around. That'd make it even more complicated if you have insert each table individually into wherever free space exists.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    When Ross/et all go dig to find a new, unmapped table, they're looking through and tracing GM's code. They could even move code that isnt understood aka mapped around to create room for a COS/DSPx.

This is drastically different than building a COS/DSPx, to do this they're moving parts of (I'm assuming) GM's code and duplicating/creating new tables wherever there is room left in the flash. There's only so much flash space available to store everything inside the controller.

I'm not super familiar with digging through hex or building COS', so this is purely conceptual as to how I think COS' work:
    1. To be super basic, let's start with all the flash space available. 1=used, 0=unused: 1110110110
    2. Out of 10 pieces, 3 are free. Notice that there are used pieces (1s) in groups of 2 and 3, but all the unused is separate from any other unused section. In order to pull 2 unused sections together and put some meaningful tables into those sections, code must be optimized/moved/refactored. Let's say that the first step is to get them to align with the 1st unused space located in section 4. Due to code structure, it's actually better to move the code in section 5 to section 10 and not to section 7. We now have this: 1110010111
    3. Great, now let's say we can put 5 new tables into sections 4 and 5. 2=new code: 1112210111
    4. We now have 1 free section at section 7. I want to add a new table that requires 2 open sections. Unfortunately, I can't because I only have 1 free section. Therefore, I put a table that requires 1 section into the code instead: 3=new new code: 1112213111
    5. I now have all 10 sections populated with a fixed set of tables. If I want to change or add another in, something must be moved around. Maybe this table requires 2 sections, but the only piece I'm willing to give up is the last piece we added (ending with 1112213111). This simply isnt possible without making a sacrifice elsewhere.

Again, this is my conceptual understanding, and for all I know, it may not be possible to even move ANY of the existing code around. That'd make it even more complicated if you have insert each table individually into wherever free space exists.
    Finally somebody with real reasoning, aside from "no it's not gonna happen because I said so"

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    As a BETA tester since the beginning on the diesels the ecm has limited room for these COS, given that these are BETA tested, the final combination of the COS-TABLES is a compromise based on what is perceived as needed and what will actually work within the allowable space in the controller.

Ross does his best to accommodate the reasons why the testers want what they want, beyond that it usually gets no revisions or changes once tested/released.
    Tony is right, the programming and testing regime behind a custom OS means that custom OS's are FIXED once released publicly. The beta test group is ASKED to define their key tuning criteria, and then we have very robust discussions about the merits of each table based on available OS space, and tuning strategies employed by a variety of tuners. Early concept testing may see some table changes made, but once the table set are defined, that's it, no further changes will be made.

Quote Originally Posted by hacklerjason View Post
    Oh no you guys know the ins an outs... But don't sit there and tell me it was free, I paid the entire price of EFILive not because I own a shop, because I don't; not because I tune trucks for a living, because I dont. I bought EFILive with one very specific purpose. And with that, my dsp4 custom OS costed $899 USD... So I've paid my dues just like everyone else who has purchased the full v2...

Many other tuning companies charge extra to 'upgrade to a custom operating system'. EFILive does not, hence it's deemed a FREE custom OS.
    If you purchased EFILive for the sole purpose of DSP4, then the product your purchased has not changed - it still performs the same function as it did the day you purchased it. The function has not 'devalued' as you seem to be trying to make out. We are advising you however that it will not be enhanced.

The only part I wanted to be clear, was that they already found the tables as evidenced by them adding it to current releases

Your insight explains why new tables take so long to add, which I understand. But those requests went weeks before follow-ups at times. This one was a request to add a table that was already discovered and coded. Again I'm not a developer by any means. I just don't understand where that falls apart... I wouldn't exactly consider that the same as adding a 2 car garage to a two story house after it's built, but that's what you call it I guess that's what it is... I would think about it more like youre using an empty stall in the autostadt, but I'm being told that's not the case

Custom OS's cannot be recycled/edited/changed post release. Custom OS's flash to non-standard parts of the ECM and there is limited space available within the ECM. You can't add a table where there is no space - it means you have to remove a table to create space, then add a table.

Given the number of customers that utilize our Custom OS's, we cannot remove tables - the support requirements would be enormous, the ramifications for the customer who failed to read instructions would be enormous. For those reasons you will not find changes to Custom OS's. This leaves 2 options - 1, start a custom OS over from scratch and support 2 different forms of the custom OS's, or don't touch it. We've chosen option 2.

One message you posted here went unanswered, however when you brought that to our attention you received prompt attention. All other requests you've made have been answered promptly. After reviewing this thread and your posts; perhaps it's best for us to part ways. I don't think we'll ever be able to meet your expectation. Given your purchase was made solely for E98/DSP4, I'm confident that your device will be in good condition please PM me your purchase details and we can make arrangements for you to return it for a refund.

Cheers
    Cindy

Lifetime Member

To further that, I don't even use dsp4 haha... I got everything I needed the software to do, done already... Everything else is cool browny point stuff... Again I did say it would be "nice" to do said stuff... But you guys want to puff your internet chests up, I get to ruffle your feathers with my keyboard... So while you guys are all salty, I'm laughing

Lifetime Member

Oh no I'm good... I'll definitely keep my v2, as I am satisfied... I just think it's hilarious that because I request features, that you find me to be "unsatisfied" with my purchase, that is not the case. I am "unsatisfied" with the prick answer I get when asking legit questions

Lifetime Member

To further that, I don't even use dsp4 haha... I got everything I needed the software to do, done already... Everything else is cool browny point stuff... Again I did say it would be "nice" to do said stuff... But you guys want to puff your internet chests up, I get to ruffle your feathers with my keyboard... So while you guys are all salty, I'm laughing

Oh no I'm good... I'll definitely keep my v2, as I am satisfied... I just think it's hilarious that because I request features, that you find me to be "unsatisfied" with my purchase, that is not the case. I am "unsatisfied" with the prick answer I get when asking legit questions

You would love the feature, but would never use it...wow you must have a sad life if for kicks you like to make requests and scream and shout like a 3 year old when you don't get you way. Congratulations, gold star for you! Thank you for being so honest.

*edit* At Ross's request I have lifted your ban.

Cheers
    Cindy
    Last edited by cindy@efilive; May 15th, 2017 at 01:16 PM.

Anybody else wanna jump on the tails of the guy in front of you? The facts that you were beta testers really don't carry a lot of weight anyway... You tried software before anybody else could, yay! You risked your ECMs flashing with betas, pats on the back for everyone! Anything else you'd like to add to this no longer productive bash session?

yeah no stress bud...if it was only flashing an ECU! WOW! How many hours of testing do you think it takes to identify the tables, test they are switching and cure the issues with the can? How many hours you reckon it takes to make sure each of the tables is switching to where you are calibrating??

You bud need to sit down. You are demanding things from people that have told you they aren't doing it. You are claiming you aren't getting what you paid for....the description of the product is clear. You got what you paid for. But you want more....well that is never what you bought. And no one ever told you it was available.

move on hey? you aren't going to bully anyone into giving you what you are asking. It was never offered. you started the bashing when you started demanding things that were never offered. iam being polite here but i know what I want to post....

World is full of flogs and you get todays award....WOW! Can't believe you think you gain anything posting that!

Lifetime Member

Anything else? You guys got it all out of your system now?

Lifetime Member

And you guys can reinstate my ban of you like... The product isn't being developed anymore so I really don't need the forum anymore, now do I😁

Page 28 of 32 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast