Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 96 vortec 7.4 0411 swapped still needs a basic tune that works

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 96 vortec 7.4 0411 swapped still needs a basic tune that works

I have been reading for a long time now and I find several similar topics and they all just end with no resolution. I am committed here, I swapped my computer for a 0411. I must make it run as it is a needed vehicle. It stumbled when starting so I investigated and replaced the fuel pump, and fuel pressure regulator. It still stumbles when starting, and now it wont run when I put it in gear. It dies at tip in as soon as I shift it to Drive. I suppose a crank relearn is in order. What I am seeking is someone who has made a 7.4 Vortec run with a 0411 comp and a 4l80e. I am willing to pay for the help but I need to find someone who CAN help. I have worked on cars for over 22 years and I understand more than most newbs on these forums about how, what, when, where, and why fuel injection is not "The Debil" (waterboy) but I am just as stuck as the newest of the new.

If someone has made a 7.4/4l80e run smooth with a 0411 swap you are my guy, or gal, or Alien shade planet mechanic I don't care which one. Please I implore you, will you help me get on the right track?

Thanks to all who read this and don't turn a blind eye. Thanks to all the helpful people on here who teach so many so much. Thanks to EFILive for making this all possible.

So I kept reading and I think I have found some very helpful info. I am certain that I need to do a crank relearn (po1336), and I think I have the right link to figure that out now. I have tried to do a C.A.S.E. with my V2 and it keeps failing to start the procedure. Maybe I just need to get the computer to think the brake and trans signal are doing the right thing at the right time.

I have another problem however. because the engine is so badly out of time it coughs and sputters and runs like crap just trying to get up to 1200 rpm, then it will smooth out at about 3500 and race up to almost 6000 if I stay on the throttle.

I think I need a basic stock tune until I get a crank relearn to work. I can't tell if the trouble I am having is because it sat too long with bad gas or if the fuel or spark maps are wrong or what the problem is. I am trying to work through it all by the process of elimination. I thought I had a basic stock tune in it but it has been over a year since I last played with it. I found a few tun files that fellow Big Blockheads have posted for a starting point and I am going to try that next to see if my stumbling problem is the tables or the actual distributor position.

I am also going to try to keep putting my findings on here as I figure this out, because as I commented in another thread it seems like all the other posted 7.4 troubles get solved in private emails and forgotten about in the forums. I get it, your troubles are over, back to life in the real world. Maybe I just never found the right thread, I don't know.

Lastly, please don't take any of my posts as snide or intentionally rude. I have been frustrated that I can not solve my problem, but I know that no one else made it for me. If I come off as a jerk, I apologize, I do not mean to.
    Last edited by cmos2112; July 14th, 2015 at 04:25 AM. Reason: I hadn't completed that thought in writing.

So far today I have flashed 6 times and 5 of them would not even produce a spark. I have it on a running .ctz with injectors set at 20#. The stock injectors are 19# but the tune I am starting from had 24.33# set as default. I used a 5.7 van tune to start. I still have terrible cough sputter and stumble until launching over 4000rpm.
    1996 2500 GMC SUBURBAN 7.4 (L29) 4L80E
    WITH 0411 PCM SWAP
    2001 1500 GMC YUKON XL 5.3 (LM7) 4L60E
    BOTH TUNED WITH FLASHSCAN V2
    2010 DODGE RAM 2500 6.7 CUMMINS
    NEXT TO GET A TUNE, FROM A REAL TUNER.

Contact Caleditor
    http://www.pcmcalibrators.net/

There is a specific GM mexico OS that is perfect for what you want. Better than the VAN OS. I never ended up swapping mine so I dont have it but ask him for a starter tune on the mexican truck OS.

Thank you MobileProg, the site looks like some pretty great stuff. I will have to talk to them about a tune for this thing.
    WITH 0411 PCM SWAP

Lifetime Member

I generally keep pretty good track of who I have give wiring info to. I don't remember giving you any. I don't know of any tune related issue that would make it not have spark. Also, did you wire the EGR circuit appropriately for the 0411?

Jeff
    98 GMC RCSB 2WD, Internally stock 305 w/Twin T-3 junkyard Turbos,4L80e,Ramjet intake,42lb.inj., 0411PCM, COS3,4675LBS w/me in it. Best Time on 5 passes-13.01@110

Jeff it has been quite a long time but I did get my info from you to swap wiring in my 96 Suburban. You were very helpful. I got it running 2 years ago but it was never perfect. The ingeartiming tun file never worked for me. I was still using the basic 5.7 express van tune for the 4l80e. I had adjusted a few things but not much. It always ran a little rough and I just didn't have time or make time to sort it out. I figured as old as it was that the fuel pressure regulator needed replaced to fix the hard start. I also replaced the fuel pump and sock in the tank. I had to pull the distributor when I replaced the fuel pressure regulator. I did not start it before doing the repair, it had sat for a long time. When I got it back together nothing was better.
    At about 4pm today I finished reclocking the distributor to see if it would run smoother. Now i have no spark at all. I had it running yesterday, I have everything plugged in and I am confused as to why the spark is gone. I will figure that out today still.

As far as the egr wiring goes I will have to look again. I know I looked it over no less than 5 times when I first rewired it. I am very particular with that sort of thing. I wired the prnd switch at the cluster and I am sure I followed the instructions you gave for the egr wiring even though I planned to disable it.
    I will send you an email at the address you used 2 years ago. If you have some more insight I would appreciate the help.
    WITH 0411 PCM SWAP

Lifetime Member

sounds like the dizzy is too far off.

when it does run, have you put a timing light on it?

I have put a light on it. I had a light on it for the last few days trying to figure out if I could see the problem was timing, revving the engine with my son watching the light on the balancer. It seemed to just stay @ 20*btdc.

Life kept me too busy to figure out spark today, back at it tomorrow.
    WITH 0411 PCM SWAP

Lifetime Member

I remember setting up my brothers truck(he had Jeff's help as well) that getting the dizzy right was a pain.

crank relearn isn't going to make it run good or bad- it is simply for misfire and timing reduction for knock detection.

I believe you have a dizzy offset setting- and that setting was important to get it to run right.

I can probably provide you a basic tune from my brother that may get you running if you do think it is tune related. I think you have something mechanical wrong though.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast