Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Improving WB Tune: Large difference in Min/Max + Suggested Values for TC+TF

Lifetime Member

I've had a look at your log and it looks like it goes leaner as the IAT rises... that's heatsoak. You've got some KR activity in your log... the stuff at high load looks like real knock, the stuff around idle is most likely false knock. I think you might need to do a bit of work on your spark tables.

I haven't updated my software to the latest version yet so I can't look at your latest tune file right now, but I'll try to get that updated in the next day or two and then I'll have a good look at your tune file.

Post your latest/current tune/log files.

Lifetime Member

:UPDATED:

I think I finally graduated with a C- from the school of hard knocks today. The truck ran pretty good with minimal dipping of the idle or surging ( solved with the desired airflow and not TC TF!). I think I need to run RAFIG/PN again one more time just to be sure. It did stall one time but only at the very end of the file when I was reversing into the garage. WOW! I am not really sure how to fix that part. It seems the transition from D to N to R is getting some input that causes everything to fluctuate just enough to kill it.

I am still seeing some KR in the areas mentioned before even after reducing advance. I will try to reduce again and see if it still happens.

The puzzle pieces are coming together here. That is an exciting thing. Now if I could just find someone to work on my motorcycle. haha.

Yukon_0021_injector_mod_0008.ctz
    Log_0005.efi
    Last edited by 2002_z28_six_speed; August 12th, 2015 at 09:04 AM.

Lifetime Member

I tried pulling spark advance till the engine ran like a snail and the knock never went away.

My guesses are that it is mostly all fake knock due to the engine or burst knock shows up as KR as well? Not sure if burst knock does that but if it does it would always show up due to throttle movement.

Are you seeing KR in the logs or are you hearing knock as engine runs...?

If you see constant KR continuously then the knock sensors and their subharness may need replacement.

Lifetime Member

I actually have new knock sensors and harness! Yay for me! I finished up the engine rebuild about 3 months ago and it was a total refresh aside from breaking into the short block.

New oil pan gasket.
    New oil pump.
    LS6 Valley cover.
    new 5.3l heads.
    push rods
    cam
    intake
    various seals and gaskets
    electric fans
    oil cooler lines
    all new hydraboost lines

the truck has 191k miles on it. many parts are new.
    it was a fun project to work on. sorry i didn't invite you guys to help out. Remaining items are: I need to replace some stuff like the drivers window regulator and steering wheel buttons. I also want to tackle coil over AWD shocks. Someone on performancetrucks.net sells the kit. If I get really bored I will go for a 4L80E with stall or a rare 6 speed swap (ZF S60-650 NOT t56!!!) Wanted to turn it into a fun project before I had kids.

So I just tried desensitizing the knock sensors and man it was a day and night difference. The motor has a ton of power and I can't hear any audible knocking. It became more apparent that I need to do something about the spark in transition. EG pulling away from stop and some ramping. It could be smoother.

Log_0011.efi
    Yukon_0021_injector_mod_0014.ctz
    Last edited by 2002_z28_six_speed; August 14th, 2015 at 08:08 AM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345