Thread: first cal-flash

Default first cal-flash

i want to flash in a tune for the first time. 2000 c5. the following warning comes up:

"the efilive v8 software is not yet capable of detecting etc tables that are out of range."

shoud i be concerned?

"please ensure that you have opened and resaved this file using the efilive v7.5 software prior to flashing it into an ls1 controller."

here im confused. dont want to do anything wrong. i have opened and resaved the file im flashing in many times. do i have to do it again now, or what does it mean exactly?

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

The short answer is, if you've sved the file using the V7 software. then its ok to flash using the V8 software. If you've just read the tune file from the PCM using V8, you should re-open the tune file in V7 and resave it, just to make sure the throttle tables are ok. Especially, if you've read a non drive-by-wire PCm and intend to flash it into a drive-by-wire PCM.

The long answer is:
    The LS1B tune files contain throttle tables and backup throttle tables that are used by the PCM to cross reference its drive by wire throttle controls. If the main throttle tables are modified and the backup throttle tables are not updated in sync with the main tables (or if the backup tables are not populated, in the case of non-drive-by-wire PCMs) then the PCM will go into limp mode. That's because the PCM detects what it thinks is a fault in the drive by wire system, when if fact its just non-synchronized tables in the tune file.

The V7 software is designed to resynchronize the backup tables whenever the tune file is saved. So once a file has been saved using V7 then its ok to be flashed using V8.

Once the tuning features are added to V8 and v8 is able to verify/resynchronize the throttle tables itself, then that warning will no longer be necessary.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.