Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: License removal and transfer to another V2?

Default License removal and transfer to another V2?

Is there anyway to remove a license from my V2 and transfer it to a different one?

I know in the past this wasn't possible.....has EFILive addressed this yet or is there too much interest in profiting from license sales to consider allowing transfers?

Thanks!
    Last edited by KB3MMX; August 1st, 2015 at 02:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KB3MMX View Post
    Is there anyway to remove a license from my V2 and transfer it to a different one?

I know in the past this wasn't possible.....has EFILive addressed this yet or is there too much interest in profiting from license sales to consider allowing transfers?

Thanks!
    Do you realize this will allow you to flash any number of ECM's using just a single license...?

Speaking for myself: how can you be trusted...?

What do you do for a living...?

( sorry, not trying to rile you, just trying to get you thinking about it )

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Do you realize this will allow you to flash any number of ECM's using just a single license...?
    How do you figure? If you were to assume that the mechanism designed to move the license exported and removed the entire license from the v2 (the process moves license 'abc' tied to s/n '123' and '456' off the v2 to a file, so say for example you had 1 license on the v2, you now have 0).

If you were talking about 'divorcing' the licensed controllers from the license on the v2 that they're 'married' to, I can see your point, but if you maintain the bond between the license and the licensed controller(s), I don't see the issue.

One such use case I can think of is say I have a vehicle the I've been tuning with efilive, and I decide to sell it. The new owner has a v2 as well. What's the issue with being able to remove the license in its entirety from my v2 and give it to the new owner of the vehicle?

Licenses provide residual income for EFI-Live.

In order for them to spend the time and effort in mapping these new ecms and adding features like CSP5 and COS for the gassers that time needs to be compensated.

Selling a V2 or Autocal generates a one time profit for the company, a lot of sales and a lot of $$$$$ come from the license program, so although this person may be asking to reuse the same license on the same ecm only on a different device I still do not see that happening.

If I were in EFI-Lives shoes once that type of software were available who knows what hack might be tried then.

www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Lifetime Member

But you've already paid for the Licences, if your V2 dies or you decide to replace it for any reason you're faced with having to pay the licence costs again, not a huge issue for a single vehicle licence but if you've paid for model years it can be a huge cost..

If your V2 dies and you need to buy another one we offer a service that the replacement V2 can have all purchased streams and licenses put back on the new one.
    http://www.efilive.com/services/lice...covery-service
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    If your V2 dies and you need to buy another one we offer a service that the replacement V2 can have all purchased streams and licenses put back on the new one.
    http://www.efilive.com/services/lice...covery-service
    Didn't know about that, awesome thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    How do you figure? If you were to assume that the mechanism designed to move the license exported and removed the entire license from the v2 (the process moves license 'abc' tied to s/n '123' and '456' off the v2 to a file, so say for example you had 1 license on the v2, you now have 0).

If you were talking about 'divorcing' the licensed controllers from the license on the v2 that they're 'married' to, I can see your point, but if you maintain the bond between the license and the licensed controller(s), I don't see the issue.

One such use case I can think of is say I have a vehicle the I've been tuning with efilive, and I decide to sell it. The new owner has a v2 as well. What's the issue with being able to remove the license in its entirety from my v2 and give it to the new owner of the vehicle?
    Ok, I see your point, you're saying remove the married license from one V2 and add it to another V2 so this V2 can now flash that same ECM... good thought...

the problem I see (and I'm no expert) is when the license is in between V2's (i.e. on your PC, encrypted in a file) it is impossible to keep it from being duplicated (for example, copy the license file to a new PC and install V7/V8 software from scratch)...?

Currently, licenses residing on the V2 hardware is what provides a layer of security.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Ok, I see your point, you're saying remove the married license from one V2 and add it to another V2 so this V2 can now flash that same ECM... good thought...

the problem I see (and I'm no expert) is when the license is in between V2's (i.e. on your PC, encrypted in a file) it is impossible to keep it from being duplicated (for example, copy the license file to a new PC and install V7/V8 software from scratch)...?

Currently, licenses residing on the V2 hardware is what provides a layer of security.
    I think he means to totally delete it from V2 #1 before adding it to V2 #2 Joe so it can only be used on a single device at any one time, I can see the sense in this as the new owner doesn't want or need your old Licences, I ran into this back when I had HP, sold it then bought another so lost the original licenses..

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KB3MMX View Post

Thanks!
    Presonally, I 'd love to be able to offer that as an option. The problem is if we offer any way to "transfer" a license then as Joecar pointed out once a file exists on the PC that contains your license then that file becomes the focal point for malicious software crackers to try and figure out how to generate their own "license transfer" files. Once that gets cracked, we go out of business and our customers stop getting updates.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast