Thread: Crate Engine ECM Custom Lock on Tune

Default Crate Engine ECM Custom Lock on Tune

I have a 2012 6.2L GM performance Crate engine that was purchased with the GM stand alone engine controller. I need to do some tuning on it because it isn't exactly what we need for rock crawling but the tune has a custom lock. Has anyone figured out how to get around this?

What ECM is it? The GMPP ones are normally tunable, sure it isn't a MEFI-5 ECM?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

I am not sure what the ECM is honestly. The only thing i have to go by is context clues from the rest of the build. I do know that the ECM doesn't control the trans unfortunately, and it has all the contents similar to GM Part# 19171935 including the fuse block and other undeniable similarities. BUT I cant see the ECM very well at all so i haven't taken a real good look at it to be able to describe it. What would be the process to tune a MEFI-5? I will go plug into the ecm and see if i cant figure out what it actually is and get a picture of it.

Lifetime Member

The MEFI-5 looks identical to an E67 with custom code on it (cant flash a stock OS) and not tunable with EFILive (or the other big-name suites), you have to go with a proprietary MEFI tuning suite. If it is a MEFI-5 and you can get all the functionality you want from a production E67, I'd highly recommend buying one and re-pinning a few wires so you can tune it with EFILive. The caveat is if you're using a DBC setup, no production E67 lets you control that...
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

How would I be able to figure out whether it is a MEFI or not?

I was able to figure it out. It is an E67 controller and I just guessed at the key and got it. The key was "0000" which is probbably very common but of course i didnt know it. A little ingnorance goes a long way with me haha. Thanks for all the help guys.

I have never had to enter a key on any of the ones I have done.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by twistedfab View Post
    I was able to figure it out. It is an E67 controller and I just guessed at the key and got it. The key was "0000" which is probbably very common but of course i didnt know it. A little ingnorance goes a long way with me haha. Thanks for all the help guys.
    Glad to hear, wonder if checking the "Try Alt Keys" option would have worked too?
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.