Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So lost on Calc.VE tuning

Default So lost on Calc.VE tuning

My brain is totally fried. For the last 2 days, I have been reading everything I can on the Calc.VE method of tuning. If I go to the main post and attempt to follow it, it is completely different than the PDF in the tutorial section. Which one would be the better choice to follow for a beginner like me? Also, neither reference is really clear on what to do if you are not using a WBO2 sensor.

I have a V1 with the most current scan/tune software. I am running a 0411 pcm with 12212156 OS

Somebody please walk me through this.

Jack
    63 Chevy II SS...5.3L powered!

Hey Jack,

Calc.VET was named differently than Calc.VE because it is different (it goes further).

Any pdf's you see are always out of date (yes, I'm slowly working on a new pdf).

Follow post #1 of the Calc.VET thread this is the Tutorial... follow any links in this post as needed.

You should be using a wideband... if you're not then you can't correct MAF (and can't calculate VE) for non-closed loop conditions.

If you have FlashScan V1 then you will need to edit the pid CALC.WO2BEN to use lambda from your wideband (I can do it for you)... which wideband do you have...?

Which year/model/vehicle do you have this transplant into, what does the MAF/filter plumbing look like (are you pulling in cold air...?)...?

I have been trying for a year and still can't get it to work
    2003 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 6.0L Automatic 4 X 4

Joecar, I was really hoping you would chime in! This is not a transplant, I have a small fleet (3) of ZR2 blazers with the 4.3L that I am trying to squeeze a few more MPG out of. My teenage kids drive them, and pay for their own fuel, so any help I can give them in the efficiency department is well worth the effort on my part. All vehicles are completely stock, minus completely new exhaust with magnaflow catalytic convertes, and Gibson catbacks.

I do not have a WBO2, which is a problem. I have read (others have claimed) that the CALC.VE procedure could be done without the WBO2. Is the CALC.VE tutorial found herehttp://download.efilive.com/Tutorial...20Tutorial.pdf not current?

Jack

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Babydeuce View Post
    I do not have a WBO2, which is a problem.
    Why have you chosen to tune without a wideband?

They are not exactly cheap, and couple that with having to have bungs welded into 3 different vehicles, it seems cost prohibitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirktdolman View Post
    I have been trying for a year and still can't get it to work
    Post a new thread, let start again from scratch...

Joecar, I was really hoping you would chime in! This is not a transplant, I have a small fleet (3) of ZR2 blazers with the 4.3L that I am trying to squeeze a few more MPG out of. My teenage kids drive them, and pay for their own fuel, so any help I can give them in the efficiency department is well worth the effort on my part. All vehicles are completely stock, minus completely new exhaust with magnaflow catalytic convertes, and Gibson catbacks.

I do not have a WBO2, which is a problem. I have read (others have claimed) that the CALC.VE procedure could be done without the WBO2. Is the CALC.VE tutorial found herehttp://download.efilive.com/Tutorial...20Tutorial.pdf not current?

Jack
    Hey Jack,

Without a WBO2 you can only tune Closed Loop (i.e. stoichiometric fueling)... i.e. you won't be able to tune for excursions away from stoich (e.g. PE).

So with NBO2 only you can correct some of the MAF curve, and then you would have to guestimate the rest of the MAF curve (luckily it is supposed to have a particular curve to it)... and then the VE table is calculated from this MAF.

The pdf is out of date... the most up-to-date tutorial is post #1 of the Calc.VET thread

They are not exactly cheap, and couple that with having to have bungs welded into 3 different vehicles, it seems cost prohibitive.
    If you get something like the LC-2 it provides an NBO2 signal for the PCM to digest, and at the same time it provides an analog WB signal and serial comms WB output...

you can wire it up with connectors in a manner that allows you to drive it from the vehicle's NBO2 harness (as long as the PCM does not do PWM on the power circuit to control heating of the NBO2), this allows you to easily move it between vehicles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast