Thread: Would you buy a truck with this tune in it?

Default Would you buy a truck with this tune in it?

I took a look at a truck I'm interested in buying last night and of course the owner says it doesn't have a tune, never been beat on, etc. It had the the dtc light on so I pulled the codes and decided to pull the tune while I was in there. Looks like a bad #2 & #6 glow plug by the way and it most certainly does not have a factory tune. I haven't done much with diesel tunes So I'm hoping someone could take a look and tell me if it looks like a safe tune.
    Truck has 144k miles, banks intake, flowmaster exhaust. Judging from the tune the egr and dpf have been removed but it was dark and raining out so I didn't crawl underneath to confirm. Also has a "Rolling Big Power" custom gauge cluster. I don't know if this is part of a package or what the story is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

The truck obviously has a DPF delete, or did at one time. Also from the looks of the tune, I owuld guess it was tuned for oversized injectors. They raised the torque limits up to allow the ECM to go full fueling capabilities, but reduced pulse width which is normally only done when oversized injectors are installed. It's definately tuned like I said for no DPF and no EGR. So if it has a DPF on it, you can be assured it WILL plug it up QUICKLY with that tune. Not sure whos it is as it wasn't written with EFILIVE from the looks of the errors that popped up when I opened it. If I had to guess, I would say it was an H&S if I had to.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Thank you!
    DPF and EGR delete are not deal breakers for me.

Is there anything in that tune that would keep you from buying it as long as the injectors have been upgraded and the DPF has been removed? What kind of HP / efficiency increase would you guess that tune added?

I'll confirm the dpf has been removed and see if I cant identify what kind of injectors are installed when I get it up on a lift tomorrow. Is there anything else I should look for with the scan tool or on the truck itself while I have my hands on it tomorrow?

I don't want a hot rod, just something that has the power to pull my 22x8.5 enclosed trailer loaded down and improve on MPG, I love my AWD Express van but 10-13mpg is killing me and I know the trailer will put a quick end to the reliability i've had so far not to mention I'll probably be lucky to see 8mpg with that trailer behind it.

Like I said, it's an odd tune really. If he says it's not tuned, you can assure him he's full of it. None of that tables really stood out as dangerous, just odd they pulled so much pulsewidth out of the injector pulse while adding so much timing and raising the limiters. If it doesn't have oversized injectors, I bet it's one doggy truck when you really get down on it. It MIGHT have stock LB7 power levels with that reduced pulsewidth if it does in fact have stock injectors. Just written rather odd is all, but who really knows since it was done with another tuner it may be a custom OS, and you can't see everything in it correctly as is the case with several boxed tuners.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.