Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I start with? 07 TBSS, LS2, E67

Lifetime Member

Default What should I start with? 07 TBSS, LS2, E67

So I picked up a TBSS a few weeks ago and just snagged an LC-2. What tuning procedures should I be doing and in what order should I be doing them? I plan on camming it in the near future along with e-fans and maybe upgrading the exhaust. All this gasser stuff has got me all kinds of confused. Give me an LBZ and ill be just fine, LS2.... Ummm where do I start? I've been doing as much reading and lurking as I can but haven't found one specific thread that starts from the beginning and goes thru all the corrections and VE calibrations in an orderly fashion.
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

'06 LBZ/Allison 6speed, EC, LB, 1LT, Leather
    Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

465hp/1008tq---7/25/09---Dyno Day Fast Specialties Tuning by ME

Before you do anything do this:
    - read tune from ECM and save to file;
    - view tune file to familiarize yourself;
    - capture a few logs to see which pids work;
    - play with DVT to make sure all solenoids are functioning;
    - make sure powertrain is in good shape (no leaks, misses, faults);
    - connect LC-2 to V2 using serial comms (null modem).

Have you seen these docs:
    E38 VVE Setup Guide
    Virtual VE Tutorial

Use serial comms to connect the LC-2 to the V2.

For the BEN pid, use CALC.WO2BEN from the Calc.VET thread (post #1 is the tutoria).

Correcting the MAF is easy (disable VE, disable CL/LTFT/STFT, apply WO2BEN to MAF tables).

Correcting the VE coefficients takes a bit more work (disable MAF, disable CL/LTFT/STFT, apply WO2BEN to VVE surface, generate coefficients... but do read those docs).

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Before you do anything do this:
    - read tune from ECM and save to file;
    - view tune file to familiarize yourself;
    - capture a few logs to see which pids work;
    - play with DVT to make sure all solenoids are functioning;
    - make sure powertrain is in good shape (no leaks, misses, faults);
    - connect LC-2 to V2 using serial comms (null modem).

Have you seen these docs:
    E38 VVE Setup Guide
    Virtual VE Tutorial

Use serial comms to connect the LC-2 to the V2.

For the BEN pid, use CALC.WO2BEN from the Calc.VET thread (post #1 is the tutoria).

Correcting the MAF is easy (disable VE, disable CL/LTFT/STFT, apply WO2BEN to MAF tables).

Correcting the VE coefficients takes a bit more work (disable MAF, disable CL/LTFT/STFT, apply WO2BEN to VVE surface, generate coefficients... but do read those docs).
    Read the tune already. And it looks crazy compared to an lbz tune. Haven't logged anything yet because I'm still waiting on getting the WBO2 bung welded in. Speaking of which, any suggestions on where to place it? I'm kind of gathering that it might be best forward of the cat on the driver side.

Haven't connect the LC-2 yet to the V2. I'm skipping the whole null modem thing and making a serial cable instead. (Have the RJ-12 crimper and ends ordered and on the way) I'm going to make 5 just in case anyone here wants one.

I have read both of those tutorials twice. The first read thru I was seriously scratching my head and the second time it made a little more sense.

So, I should probably do the MAF correction first then VVE? Any other things I should look at to pick up a few ponies or mpgs?
    '07 TBSS, LS2, T42, 3SS, Black on Black on Black, Pretty much stock at the moment. EFILive will fix that

Current Mods: EFI Live/ PTO High Idle Mod/ Factory Exhaust Brake / BD Full Bore/ TransGo Jr./ TTS Twin Lift Pumps/ MBRP 4" turbo back/ Custom air box mod/ BullyDog Outlook Monitor

Place the WBO2 bung right next to the front NBO2 bung.

Actually, the LC-2 has an NBO2 analog output which can be used to drive the harness NBO2 signal.

Yes, incorporate the null modem function into the cable you're making (swap Rx and Tx signals), much cleaner and easier to poke thru firewall.

Yes, do MAF correction first.

Then after VE is corrected, look at PE table, it usually is over-rich from the factory; after this look at High Octane Spark table, timing may be safely advanced a few degrees if the air model (MAF and VE) and the fuel model (IFR, PE) are correct.

I forgot to say: measure rail pressure, if it is not 58+/-1 psi then you have to see what is going on.

Have a look thru here, the table id's are for the GenIII LS1/LS6 PCM, but the principles still apply to GenIV E38/E67 ECM's (I just haven't had time to make an E38/E67 specific thread yet):

Summary-Notes

in particular see posts #4, #29, #38

also take note in that thread is a calc_pids.txt that defines the pid CALC.WO2BEN that you will be using with LC-2 serial comms.

Lifetime Member

Welcome to the TBSS family! For efans, you'll have to change the settings either via flashing in a patched file or using another software. Let me know what you have, I have a few controllers here I could bench flash and send you a stock file with efans patched in, just let me know.

For tuning, start with a fresh, full tank of premium and log knock and spark advance. Once you get your WBO2 installed, you can see what the ECM is doing for fuel and watch fuel trims. I'd start by going MAF-only and getting the MAF curve dialed in, then going full SD and using the VVE tables to get SD fueling. Re-enable MAF and make sure everything looks good.

Transmission needs work, big time. Send me a PM and your stock TCM read and I'll throw a basic tune in it for ya.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm workin like a dog right now and will probably hit you up in and few days.

Lifetime Member

Here are my ECM and TCM stock calibrations. I uploaded my ECM just in case anyone want to look for kicks and giggles.

07 Trailblazer SS Stock TCM.ctz

Trailblazer stock ECM.ctz

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Place the WBO2 bung right next to the front NBO2 bung.

Actually, the LC-2 has an NBO2 analog output which can be used to drive the harness NBO2 signal.

Yes, incorporate the null modem function into the cable you're making (swap Rx and Tx signals), much cleaner and easier to poke thru firewall.

Yes, do MAF correction first.

Then after VE is corrected, look at PE table, it usually is over-rich from the factory; after this look at High Octane Spark table, timing may be safely advanced a few degrees if the air model (MAF and VE) and the fuel model (IFR, PE) are correct.

I forgot to say: measure rail pressure, if it is not 58+/-1 psi then you have to see what is going on.
    So are you saying that i could use the existing bung and replace it with my WBO2 and drive the ECM with the analog output from the LC-2 and the V2 with the serial WB at the same time? So, I wouldnt have to weld in a new bung???

Quote Originally Posted by bballer182 View Post
    So are you saying that i could use the existing bung and replace it with my WBO2 and drive the ECM with the analog output from the LC-2 and the V2 with the serial WB at the same time? So, I wouldnt have to weld in a new bung???
    Yes, correct (LC-2 analog output 2 to drive NBO2, LC-2 serial comms to drive FSV2).

Drive the NBO2 Signal Hi from the LC-2 analog output 2 (need to also connect NBO2 Signal Lo to LC-2 ground);

if you look at the LC-2's pre-programmed V:AFR function for analog output 2 (using LM-Programmer/Logworks) you will see that it is a steep reverse-step function, this is exactly how a narrowband O2 sensor functions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast