Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 lmm

Default 2008 lmm

Hello, I'm new to diesel tuning and just have a few questions if anyone can help me out. We have a 2008 Sliverado 3500 lmm. I ordered the DPF delete and EGR delete with the EFI tuner. Is there anything else I need to do other than install the delete packages and plug this tuner in. It has the switch with 5 different tunes, the note that came with the tuner says; Tuning 1. Heavy Tow 40hp, 2. 70hp, 3. 100hp, 4.120hp, 5. 150hp. The truck is a commercial tow truck used daily. We're trying to get the most power and fuel economy out of that we can, Which setting should we put that switch on to achieve this and keep the MIL off? Any info for a newbie would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.

A lift pump would be a good addition. Be careful when installing the pins in the ECM connector for the DSP switch. There are some good videos showing how to do it I found when I did mine. An exhaust temp gauge would also be good to have when towing.

Jay
    2019 Sierra 6.2l
    2017 2500HD L5P
    2010 2500HD LMM (sold)
    2005 Harley Ultra Classic

Whose tuning is it? EFILIVE is a tuning tool that allows the end user to create tunes themselves. EFILIVE does not actually provide tuning, just the tool to be able to tune with. As to the truck, I would run a EGR blocker plate rather than a delete. I've read of to many people having problems with the delete kits leaking, or the up pipe breaking off because it isn't supported well enough. The exhaust from an 01-07 classic truck will fit just fine, so no need for a special delete exhaust. As to tuning, I wouldn't go much past a 50-60 HP tune for a truck used for heavy towing. Sounds like you bought the wrong tuning for your trucks intended uses from your description. There's alot of shops out there selling tuning now that isn't appropriate for the useage, and when a problem happens they do not provide service. It is ALWAYS a good idea to research your tuner BEFORE pulling the trigger. From your description it sounds like you got 2 useable tunes for your trucks uses, and it says nothing about if they are optimized for heavy hauling or not. Heavy haulers like things like a turbo brake, tunes set up with conservative timing to help balance EGT's VS engine temps, and all the while maintaing cylinder pressures in a safe range. EFILIVE is only as good as the tunes you bought, so if you get the wrong tunes, then it's not for you. Alot of peopel here lately buy tunes without researching, and then end up having there trucks retuned by another tuner to get what they needed in the 1st place.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

The tune was by ATP, Idaho Rob I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by lokutas View Post
    The tune was by ATP, Idaho Rob I believe.
    I'm surprised he would send somebody with a truck used for heavy commercial hauling tunes of that size.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by lokutas View Post
    Hello, I'm new to diesel tuning and just have a few questions if anyone can help me out. We have a 2008 Sliverado 3500 lmm. I ordered the DPF delete and EGR delete with the EFI tuner. Is there anything else I need to do other than install the delete packages and plug this tuner in. It has the switch with 5 different tunes, the note that came with the tuner says; Tuning 1. Heavy Tow 40hp, 2. 70hp, 3. 100hp, 4.120hp, 5. 150hp. The truck is a commercial tow truck used daily. We're trying to get the most power and fuel economy out of that we can, Which setting should we put that switch on to achieve this and keep the MIL off? Any info for a newbie would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance.
    The 40 hp will be a good safe tow tune anything over 40 hp could cause the torque converter clutch to slip and burn. Would have been better to have stock, fuel economy, heavy tow, light tow, and no tow. Might be best to contact ATP with your concerns though.

Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    The 40 hp will be a good safe tow tune anything over 40 hp could cause the torque converter clutch to slip and burn. Would have been better to have stock, fuel economy, heavy tow, light tow, and no tow. Might be best to contact ATP with your concerns though.
    Yep, sunds like you got the wrong tunes for your app. I like having an optimized stock, econ tune for when you do run empty, a hot tune, then 2 tow tunes, one with and one without a turbo brake. I tend to make the one with a turbo brake the heavy tow, and the one without the one for a regular tow tune. For a commercially used truck hauling, you will only use 1 of your current tunes if they are what you say they are. If you use anymore, your trans will hate life.

Thanks again for the replies. I did contact ATP and they said the 40hp tune has the turbo brake, the other tunes do not. So I'm thinking that one will be good when we're loaded and one of the others when the trucks empty. I guess we'll see how it works out. The switch does make me a little nervous though, the drivers will probably turn it to the highest tune and beat the piss out the truck!

Those drivers are going to do more than beat the piss out of the truck. Hope you have some deep pockets. Especially if those drivers rolling that smoke south of Atp border.

Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    Would have been better to have stock, fuel economy, heavy tow, light tow, and no tow. Might be best to contact ATP with your concerns though.
    That does sound like a good set up, I'm going to have to call them back and see if we can get different tunes. I def should have done some research on this before pulling the trigger but after this truck is done I'm going to do the 2010 Dodge we have so I'll have a little more knowledge for that job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast