Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: convert Diesel ally tune to gas Q's

Default convert Diesel ally tune to gas Q's

So I bought an 07 burb and an 07 classic dmax ally pullout to put in said burb. Right now I dont have ample $$$$ to rebuild the 6.6 but the trand in the burb is being a D%^K can I reflash the tcm with a gas 8.1 tune and just install it behind my 6.SLO ? If I have to rebuild any trans id rather it be the ally
    And does anyone have said tune file ?
    Been on the hunt for hours now. HALP
    1972 Chevy Blazer, Twin Turbo Duramax 6.6
    69 Maro TT 427 LSX, Wayne due Vett frnt sub,
    Lateral Dynamics 3 link rear, D 60,
    T56, 18X10' 18X12 Boze Forged Speedsters,
    13" wilwood 6 pot fronts 13" wilwood 4 pot rears,
    (all Still under construction)

Ummm, not to rain on your parade, but you do know thats not a direct swap right? 07 classic and 07 nbs are completely different trucks. They share virtually nothing in common with each other. You will have to convert it to an LMM to use it in the 07 burb. As to putting the ALLISON behind the 6.0L, I'm sure it can be done, but you'll need somebody with alot of knowledge regarding GMLAN and which tunes to make it talk to each other. Like I said, your working with 2 completely different data bus systems there, and the 8.1L 6 speed ALLISON tune used a unique carryover data com system.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

The gas torque converter is different from the diesel, so that would add to the cost also.
    2019 Sierra 6.2l
    2017 2500HD L5P
    2010 2500HD LMM (sold)
    2005 Harley Ultra Classic

What would you be planning on controlling the Allison with? The burb probably has either a T42 or T43, neither of which will run the Allison. About the only way I could see the Allison maybe working is if you got an ECM, TCM, wiring harnesses and such from a 8.1L/Allison gmt900 truck (if such an animal exists), retrofit all that to the 6L, and then tune the 8.1L ECM for the 6L. You're probably better off just getting the proper trans for the burb...... Not saying it CAN'T be done, but it's going to be FAR from plug-n-play and just reflash a TCM....

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    What would you be planning on controlling the Allison with? The burb probably has either a T42 or T43, neither of which will run the Allison. About the only way I could see the Allison maybe working is if you got an ECM, TCM, wiring harnesses and such from a 8.1L/Allison gmt900 truck (if such an animal exists), retrofit all that to the 6L, and then tune the 8.1L ECM for the 6L. You're probably better off just getting the proper trans for the burb...... Not saying it CAN'T be done, but it's going to be FAR from plug-n-play and just reflash a TCM....
    No such animal exists. The last 8.1L rolled out in 06, and used 01-05 data coms for the ECM to TCM since GM knew the 8.1L was going away. So even the 06 8.1L is a RARE duck. The gasser ECM's used a dedicated wire between the ECM and TCM to feed a dedicated torque reduction signal, and was not like the diesels used. I'm sure somebody could devise a high speed CAN BUS gateway to send enough data to the TCM to make it shift, but the cost wouldn't really be worth it. Then he's right back to having the wrong gen of engine to go into his truck once he comes to that point of the swap. The A40 TCm can be flashed by a dealer to an LMM CAL, but there is alot of worms in this can to be opened. It's doable, but will be expensive.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    No such animal exists. The last 8.1L rolled out in 06, and used 01-05 data coms for the ECM to TCM since GM knew the 8.1L was going away. So even the 06 8.1L is a RARE duck. The gasser ECM's used a dedicated wire between the ECM and TCM to feed a dedicated torque reduction signal, and was not like the diesels used. I'm sure somebody could devise a high speed CAN BUS gateway to send enough data to the TCM to make it shift, but the cost wouldn't really be worth it. Then he's right back to having the wrong gen of engine to go into his truck once he comes to that point of the swap. The A40 TCm can be flashed by a dealer to an LMM CAL, but there is alot of worms in this can to be opened. It's doable, but will be expensive.
    I can't tell if a duramax in the burb was the final plan, but a lmm swap into it MIGHT be almost as plug n play as a lbz into a 2003-2005 truck. The lbz alli will work fine with a lmm. The opposite is true as well, if you swap bellhousings to put the speed sensor back that the lbz used but the lmm did not.

I can't tell if a duramax in the burb was the final plan, but a lmm swap into it MIGHT be almost as plug n play as a lbz into a 2003-2005 truck. The lbz alli will work fine with a lmm. The opposite is true as well, if you swap bellhousings to put the speed sensor back that the lbz used but the lmm did not.
    Problem I see is he has an 07 classic GMT-800 donor, and a GMT-900 recipient. They are COMPLETELY different naimals as far as coms go. The TCm can be flashed to an LMM easy enough, but the engine will be a bit more involved. And the GMT-900 BURB swaps are NOT as simple as the GMT-800 pickups. It's taken Eric quite a bit of time to get them sorted out, and I know at least one guy is at his wits end trying to get his to shift right.

Problem I see is he has an 07 classic GMT-800 donor, and a GMT-900 recipient. They are COMPLETELY different naimals as far as coms go. The TCm can be flashed to an LMM easy enough, but the engine will be a bit more involved. And the GMT-900 BURB swaps are NOT as simple as the GMT-800 pickups. It's taken Eric quite a bit of time to get them sorted out, and I know at least one guy is at his wits end trying to get his to shift right.
    Yes,the GMT-800 & 900 are very different, but does he have a donor vehicle, or just the trans out of a LBZ? It SOUNDS to me like just the trans (of course, I could be wrong).

If you're starting with a GMT-900 burb, get the LMM harnesses, ECM, TCM, & GPCM and 'graft' them into the GMT900 burb (similar to a GMT800 LBZ into 03-05), why would it have any issues shifting? I have a hard time understanding what would need to be sorted out as long as all the electronic parts involved are from the same platform, similar to how the LBZ ECM & TCM have no issues talking to the 03-5 electronics (The only exception being the tap shift display because the older clusters don't have that programming). The only thing I could see would be if there's something in the BCM or other module that causes issues with something like the IPC with a gas > Diesel swap. But I still can't imagine what would cause it to not shift right as long as the harnesses were right and the ECM & TCM had no issues talking to each other.
    Last edited by Cougar281; September 3rd, 2015 at 01:39 PM.

Yes,the GMT-800 & 900 are very different, but does he have a donor vehicle, or just the trans out of a LBZ? It SOUNDS to me like just the trans (of course, I could be wrong).

If you're starting with a GMT-900 burb, get the LMM harnesses, ECM, TCM, & GPCM and 'graft' them into the GMT900 burb (similar to a GMT800 LBZ into 03-05), why would it have any issues shifting? I have a hard time understanding what would need to be sorted out as long as all the electronic parts involved are from the same platform, similar to how the LBZ ECM & TCM have no issues talking to the 03-5 electronics (The only exception being the tap shift display because the older clusters don't have that programming). The only thing I could see would be if there's something in the BCM or other module that causes issues with something like the IPC with a gas > Diesel swap. But I still can't imagine what would cause it to not shift right as long as the harnesses were right and the ECM & TCM had no issues talking to each other.
    The SUV's and trucks don't use the same exact code for the GMLAN is what I have gathered from talks with those who have done them. To do a GMT-900 DURABURB requires EFILIVE as there is no way to make the VATS work with the datacom differences. Disabling VATS will get one to stay running. Theres just alot more issues doing the newer swaps than older ones. I took from his first post he was doing a DYRABURB swap as he says he doesn't have the money to rebuild the 6.6 right now. As to the shifting issue, I think his problems are due to stabilitrak and some other issues causing traction control system problems. His BURB keeps losing lockup for no reason, won't even lockup in tow/haul mode. He tried the correct gen A40 TCM loaded with an early LMM file to match the engine and year range of the BURB, but ended up with an A50 to make it shift at all, but still has problems with lockup. He has a thread on DP about it, and everybody seems to be at a loss. He's even taken it to Eric at DURABURB which is who did the A50 TCM swap.

The SUV's and trucks don't use the same exact code for the GMLAN is what I have gathered from talks with those who have done them. To do a GMT-900 DURABURB requires EFILIVE as there is no way to make the VATS work with the datacom differences. Disabling VATS will get one to stay running. Theres just alot more issues doing the newer swaps than older ones. I took from his first post he was doing a DYRABURB swap as he says he doesn't have the money to rebuild the 6.6 right now. As to the shifting issue, I think his problems are due to stabilitrak and some other issues causing traction control system problems. His BURB keeps losing lockup for no reason, won't even lockup in tow/haul mode. He tried the correct gen A40 TCM loaded with an early LMM file to match the engine and year range of the BURB, but ended up with an A50 to make it shift at all, but still has problems with lockup. He has a thread on DP about it, and everybody seems to be at a loss. He's even taken it to Eric at DURABURB which is who did the A50 TCM swap.
    Interesting. If stabilitrak on the burb is causing them issues, I wonder if they've tried using calibrations for the ECM & TCM for a 09+ that had Stabilitrak?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast