Thread: New to the game, any advise?

Default New to the game, any advise?

Hi there, I have had my efi v2 controller for about two years and I have only used it on my own truck to make some small adjustments, Now I have some spare time up my sleeve I would like to try to wrap my head around the tuning side of things and was wondering if anyone is willing to share a bit of knowledge. Just some basics would be nice like what are the main tables to modify for a bit extra hp. Any help would be appreciated, I am just wanting to learn and play with my own truck
    Cheers Tim

For an LB7, the biggies are pulsewidth, and timing. The hardest part for most to get(at least for me at first) is you cannot just command X amount more fuel. You can't just go in and change the table to go to 130mm3 of fuel since the tables max out at 100mm3 of fuel(a few tables go higher, but the fuel tables stop at 100 for LB7 and LLY). So to add more fuel, you have to increase the pulsewidth for the tables we already have. So if 100mm3 of fuel at 160MPA is 1407 now without pilot(keep in mind when the tune calls for pilot injection to be enabled it uses B0720, once it goes to no pilot according to table B0748, it switches over to the B0721 table. So I like to modify each proportinallly to each other), and you want it to fuel to 125, you will add 25% to that cell to achieve 125MM3 of fueling at max fueling. Also there are MANY limiters that affect tuning, this is where logging comes in. You have to log if your actually going to what you are commanding, and if your not you have to go in and find the limiter preventing it from doing so. MOST LB7's in stock form will limit out at 89mm3 of fuel due to the torque tables, but be VERY careful modifying the torque tables as small changes here make BIG differences. And even a small change in the wrong direction can rip your ALLISON apart if you have one. I wouldn't reccomend doing much to the torque tables until you get a good understanding of the fueling tables, and get a better grip on tuning. Once you get your fuel tables where you want them, smooth them out to try and avoid jumpy spots in the tune, then use the timing calculator to set your timing. I start at 50-55% at WOT, and go from there as to what the truck likes. For tow tunes I tend to stay down in the 40-45% range to help balance EGT's VS engine temps. More timing normally equals lower EGT's and reduced smoke, but it also equals higher engine temps and increased cylinder pressures. So start small, and data log your changes until you see what does what. Also I do not reccomend exceeding 60% for your timing at WOT, or 28 degrees of timing. I've run as high as 32 on mostly stock trucks, but only at high RPM's.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Cool thanks for that, I plan on having a go over the next few days. I am sure I will have a lot of questions on my first attempt but I am keen to learn. Do you think its a good idea to download a few tune files off the web and run a comparison just to see what the other tuners have modified?

You can, but keep in mind alot of the tunes you find online were written by people with not much more knowledge of tuning than you. So beware you could download a piston fryer. I have a few stock trans safe tunes I can try and email you if you would like. I need to get back on my desktop one of these days, and upload some more of tunes.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    You can, but keep in mind alot of the tunes you find online were written by people with not much more knowledge of tuning than you. So beware you could download a piston fryer. I have a few stock trans safe tunes I can try and email you if you would like. I need to get back on my desktop one of these days, and upload some more of tunes.
    Sure that would be great, my email address is tim-meg@westnet.com.au
    So if I use one of your tunes and compare it against my stock tune it will give me a good idea of what tables to play with
    Thanks alot for your help

how did the tune come out that he sent you? Thefermanator you have any tunes i can try? 04 lb7 stock trans with intake and exhaust.