Thread: flashing compatable os on e 38

Default flashing compatable os on e 38

Ok noob question can I just do a complete reflash with a different os if they are compatible os systems
    according to efi compatabilty chart
    thanks
    Clarence

Lifetime Member

The Compatibility Chart is intended to assist with hardware (the ECM Service Number) and software (the OS) compatibility pairing. With the E38 / E67 no tuning software can completely flash the ECM - the throttle controller CANNOT be programmed with tuning software - this requires being programmed with a Tech 2 or equivalent device.

As an example, if you were to flash a Corvette calibration over a Truck calibration using tuning software, you would likely run into throttle control issues.

If the calibration in the E38, and the calibration you would like to flash, use the same throttle body and APP (gas pedal), then you may be OK.

the reason I asked I have a 2011 6.2 and the ecm was damaged in an accident . Scrap yard purchase to use in a stand alone set up for a rock crawler . We purchased a new ecm from GM using the original ser # and when I went to flash it it had a different os than the original . Both ecms are supposed to be for the same truck I would do a cal for the new one but it is saying that it needs to be programed and just flashing the mil . I am assuming that it needs to be programmed with a tech 2 first ? I did try to flash it today with the cal from the original ecm but it just said that the os were not compatible

Lifetime Member

A new ECM from GM does not come programmed for your vehicle - providing the parts person your serial number merely ensures that you will receive the correct ECM. It will need to be programmed with a Tech 2 or equivalent device.

Ok thanks that is what I figured . You would think they would have mentioned that when he purchased it.