Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Read HPTuners Tune with EFILive. 2 Bar

Lifetime Member

He told me he did upload an OS that gave him twice the table size to manipulate.

I guess I'm just stuck with monitoring from my EFILive right now, since going with the two-bar and SD is my best solution right now.
    While tuning, we troubleshot fuel pressure dropping off at a little over 5000 RPM and discovered one of my pumps is only making 25 PSI, so it is failing.

(At little over 5000 RPM as fuel was dropping off, it made 551 RWHP/531 RWTQ).

He is going to replace that pump today and finish the tune and dyno. I'm anxious to see what it finally does.
    I'd rather be blown, bored... AND stroked!
    Now: 447 CID (Corvette 427) , ATI Procharger D-1SC Supercharger

Lifetime Member

If HP Tuners can create an OS for the 1998 PCM that at least allows using 2-bar SD tune, is there any testing or information that someone with a 1998 LS1 can give EFILive to overcome whatever obstacle kept them from developing a Custom OS for 1998's? There are a lot of us out there, and this has been a thorn in our side for a long time. What is the obstacle?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A View Post
    If HP Tuners can create an OS for the 1998 PCM that at least allows using 2-bar SD tune, is there any testing or information that someone with a 1998 LS1 can give EFILive to overcome whatever obstacle kept them from developing a Custom OS for 1998's? There are a lot of us out there, and this has been a thorn in our side for a long time. What is the obstacle?
    I'll let EFILive respond, but thinking about it from a business perspective, I dont see it as cost effective. EFILive lets you tune 97-98 LS1A PCMs for FREE. I.E. they never charge you for a VIN license for a 97-98 LS1A PCM. If they were to develop a COS for that PCM, it would just cost them $$$$ with a ROI of $0 on that PCM (retaining a customer base aside).

When you can buy a junkyard 99-02 512kb LS1B PCM for $50, it gives you inherently better table resolution AND EFILive has multiple COSs for that PCM that have been running stably for years, it makes even less sense. It's great that HPT offers an out of box solution, but I dont expect EFILive to do so considering that PCM is 18+ years old now and the business justification isn't there plus they have a solution that works with a simple PCM swap.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

If you decide to start tuning, do yourself a favor and switch to the 99-02 512kb LS1B PCM. The 12212156 w/ Custom Operating System is the way to go. The biggest problem will be finding a bracket for the PCM. My page is back online with the documents to perform the pinout.
    Al

http://chipsbyal.com/convert98/
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Quote Originally Posted by ScarabEpic22 View Post
    I'll let EFILive respond, but thinking about it from a business perspective, I dont see it as cost effective. EFILive lets you tune 97-98 LS1A PCMs for FREE. I.E. they never charge you for a VIN license for a 97-98 LS1A PCM. If they were to develop a COS for that PCM, it would just cost them $$$$ with a ROI of $0 on that PCM (retaining a customer base aside).

When you can buy a junkyard 99-02 512kb LS1B PCM for $50, it gives you inherently better table resolution AND EFILive has multiple COSs for that PCM that have been running stably for years, it makes even less sense. It's great that HPT offers an out of box solution, but I dont expect EFILive to do so considering that PCM is 18+ years old now and the business justification isn't there plus they have a solution that works with a simple PCM swap.
    No need for EFILive to respond, everything Erik said is why it will not happen, sorry.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl View Post
    If you decide to start tuning, do yourself a favor and switch to the 99-02 512kb LS1B PCM. The 12212156 w/ Custom Operating System is the way to go. The biggest problem will be finding a bracket for the PCM. My page is back online with the documents to perform the pinout.
    Al

Al, thanks for the link.

Lifetime Member

First, let me say I'm not going to bash EFILive folk ... I appreciate their work, their innovation and dedication to developing their product. And look at my join date in this forum alone ... I've believed in and hung with these guys from their beginnings. But, I AM going to respond to a couple statements. (Not angrily ... just frustrated. I also appreciate you sharing your perspective, which, on one hand is perfectly valid, but I feel marginalizes me/(us '98 owners) as avid pro-EFILive customers.)

...EFILive lets you tune 97-98 LS1A PCMs for FREE. I.E. they never charge you for a VIN license for a 97-98 LS1A PCM. If they were to develop a COS for that PCM, it would just cost them $$$$ with a ROI of $0 on that PCM (retaining a customer base aside).
    Really? For free? So, I supposed the V2 makes it $0 investment for me? LOL!

As for a custom OS, this 1998 thing has been a thorn in everyone's side from the inception. It's very cool EFILive doesn't activeate a license for 1998, if you use it for something else, I guess. I don't ... I am interested in MY vehicle. But, if this anomaly were accommodated as to at least give a 2-bar solution for the '98s, why not say if someone programs a custom OS, that THAT activates a license for the PCM that is programmed with it? It does NOT have to be "ROI of $0 on that PCM". :-)

"When you can buy a junkyard 99-02 512kb LS1B PCM for $50, it gives you inherently better table resolution AND EFILive has multiple COSs for that PCM that have been running stably for years, it makes even less sense.....
    I haven't seen any $50 PCM's. Usually it ranges from $80 to over $100, but that little niggly detail aside, it's not the money ... it's the anxiety of what else can go wrong when re-wiring nearly 160 terminal/connectors.

But, you know what ... I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. I ordered a 2002 PCM back on Monday. I just have to decide to dive into it sooner rather than later.

Again, I appreciate you took time to respond to my questions. And this forum community, the EFILive guys ... whom I love, and guys like joecar are always so responsive with suggestions and assistance, trust me ... I take it in a good spirit. I just feel it's inconsiderate to minimize how the situation has/does affect all of us with 1998 F-Body's.
    Last edited by Black LS1 T/A; October 22nd, 2015 at 01:49 AM.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl View Post
    Al
    Thanks, ChipsByAl ... I actually have your old docs from years ago and will check your updated links. I've ordered a 2002 PCM.

Just for estimate's sake ... can you ballpark how long a task (rough hours) this is for someone who has never done this, but has some experience soldering and some basic mechanic'ing?

I also heard my fuel tank gauge may not work, but didn't see that in your write-up before (I did see something about low-oil sensor and a couple issues for guys with manual tranny's.)

Thanks again ... and to everyone who chimed in on this thread.

Lifetime Member

You said there is an issue with needing a bracket for the PCM? That's the first I heard of that. :'(
    So no clue on what I can do or where to go for fitment of the later PCM?

Lifetime Member

As far as tuning this T/A with the 427 (441 cid) and the D-1SC in it is concerned, when I watched the guy tune (after the issue the car had after discovering one of my dual-setup pumps was marginal and the SD implementation the last shop that had it years ago was incorrect/incomplete was fixed ), this guy's work with the VE tables went a long way. But, I can't peep what he did since I don't see full HPTuner tables.

Also, the car was going into some kind of limp mode if I did anywhere over about 35% WOT. Even after his initial tuning, I have that issue when I pour on the power (he couldn't duplicate the issue on the dyno. (Condition is it won't shift out of gear until about 3500 RPMs from gear to gear after going about 35% or more WOT. I have to shut it down an minute, and then everything is shifting normal again.).

I'm tired of spending $1000's of dollars and having incomplete results in the end. When I get the PCM wired in and flash it with the program and OS ChipsByAl and joecar references, since I have a wide-band O2 to install, I will use the VE calculation and SD tuning instructions you guys have posted and have a go at it myself. Wish me godspeed .... :-)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast