Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Read HPTuners Tune with EFILive. 2 Bar

I know, there's a lot of frustrating stuff, we all hear you, and we thank you for sticking with us; I'm sure your 0411 swap will work out good.

(Condition is it won't shift out of gear until about 3500 RPMs from gear to gear after going about 35% or more WOT. I have to shut it down an minute, and then everything is shifting normal again.).
    This is very interesting (to me), do you know if any DTC's had triggered when this happened...?

If you have soldering skills the job should be able to get done in less than a day. The plastic bracket that currently holds your 98 PCM won't accommodate the newer PCM, not correctly that is. The fuel gauge is no problem. It's all done in the PCM.
    Al
    "Trash that carb and get Injected!"

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    I know, there's a lot of frustrating stuff, we all hear you, and we thank you for sticking with us; I'm sure your 0411 swap will work out good.
    This is very interesting (to me), do you know if any DTC's had triggered when this happened...?
    Thanks, joecar.

Since certain codes had to be disabled or certain mil condition (is my understanding) to delete the MAF and do SD, I did not try re-enabling them to see what codes would be thrown. I can't do it now without overwriting the Custom OS the tuner put in to extend the VE table. I'm stuck figuring anything out until I get the new PCM wired in.
    I'd rather be blown, bored... AND stroked!
    Now: 447 CID (Corvette 427) , ATI Procharger D-1SC Supercharger

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChipsByAl View Post
    If you have soldering skills the job should be able to get done in less than a day. The plastic bracket that currently holds your 98 PCM won't accommodate the newer PCM, not correctly that is. The fuel gauge is no problem. It's all done in the PCM.
    Al
    Thanks for this info. If my old back does not hold out, sounds like I can at least accomplish across a couple days. :-)

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A View Post
    First, let me say I'm not going to bash EFILive folk ... I appreciate their work, their innovation and dedication to developing their product. And look at my join date in this forum alone ... I've believed in and hung with these guys from their beginnings. But, I AM going to respond to a couple statements. (Not angrily ... just frustrated. I also appreciate you sharing your perspective, which, on one hand is perfectly valid, but I feel marginalizes me/(us '98 owners) as avid pro-EFILive customers.)

Really? For free? So, I supposed the V2 makes it $0 investment for me? LOL!

As for a custom OS, this 1998 thing has been a thorn in everyone's side from the inception. It's very cool EFILive doesn't activeate a license for 1998, if you use it for something else, I guess. I don't ... I am interested in MY vehicle. But, if this anomaly were accommodated as to at least give a 2-bar solution for the '98s, why not say if someone programs a custom OS, that THAT activates a license for the PCM that is programmed with it? It does NOT have to be "ROI of $0 on that PCM". :-)

I haven't seen any $50 PCM's. Usually it ranges from $80 to over $100, but that little niggly detail aside, it's not the money ... it's the anxiety of what else can go wrong when re-wiring nearly 160 terminal/connectors.

But, you know what ... I guess I gotta do what I gotta do. I ordered a 2002 PCM back on Monday. I just have to decide to dive into it sooner rather than later.

Again, I appreciate you took time to respond to my questions. And this forum community, the EFILive guys ... whom I love, and guys like joecar are always so responsive with suggestions and assistance, trust me ... I take it in a good spirit. I just feel it's inconsiderate to minimize how the situation has/does affect all of us with 1998 F-Body's.
    I know you're not, I'm not trying to call you out either. We've both been around for a few years...lol!

Yes, very true that the cost of the V2 doesnt go away. I was referring to the VIN licensing cost of $0 for 97-98 PCMs; so yes if all you tune are 97-98s you'll have to split the cost of the V2 over the cars as your licensing cost.

Once you get your PCM swapped and configured (that link by Al is fantastic BTW...), just follow the Calc.VET or Calc.MAFT turorials to dial your VE/MAF in. (links inline)
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Thanks, Scarab :-)

Lifetime Member

Exclamation

Plan to keep you guys up to date, so. Questions:

1. I was afraid I'd make a miss-step. There are 4 gray wires and somehow I pulled one pin over and miss-labeled. I tried to back-track and MAY have it right. But, being I did that at the worst possible scenario (4 wires of same color, GRAY at 1998 pins Blue 64-67), how can I isolate and verify those four gray wire to pin locations? I read somewhere if you had a scanner it could be easily done, but there was no explanation how.

<<EDIT: Since all four of these gray wire circuits are 5V references, is it safe to assume if I pinned everything back in and a pair of these were swapped, that it would not damage anything, even though I would get a code or some other unexpected indication?>>

64 GRA 416 MAP Sensor 5V reference Pin "C"
    65 GRA 705 EGR Valve 5V Reference Pin "D"
    66 GRA 474 AC Press Sensor 5V Reference Pin "B"
    67 GRA 598 Fuel tank Pressure Sensor 5V Reference

2. What does "TEST FIRST!" mean on this wire:
    "Red C1-36 DK BLU TO Red C2-38……………TEST FIRST! 99-02 PCM’S"
    Test how? Why this one?

3. What is the difference between
    "Red C1-24 BLK/WHT If present discard it and Blue C2-24"
    and
    "Blue C2-3 TAN delete"?
    Do the "discard" and the "delete" mean the same thing? Or is something else going on?

4. And do you just tape the un-used cables somewhere or can they be tucked away into an unused pin location?
    Last edited by Black LS1 T/A; October 26th, 2015 at 12:41 AM.

Lifetime Member

To address the Bracket difference issue raised, on mine, even though the bracket is not keyed to the 2002 PCM like it is to the 1998 PCM side-rails, I squeezed it in, and being it is wedge shaped, was able to secure it tightly, all the way to the back stops at the rear of the bracket. That was at least a mini-success story. I snapped a few photos:

1998 PCM in keyed location of bracket:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1998 PCM in Bracket Fit.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	227.0 KB 
ID:	18968

2002 PCM "Sqeeze Fit"

Name:	2002 PCM in Bracket Fit.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	272.1 KB 
ID:	18969

Pre-cut Labels ... (almost worked flawlessly. smh)

Name:	Labels System.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	18970

Ready to re-pin

Name:	Harness before re-pin.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	18971

It took me about 30 or 40 minutes to get the PCM out of the car.
    (I actually fought with trying to get the PCM out of there until I created more wiggle room by unclipping the passenger-side cowl section and realized I should remove the bracket AND the PCM TOGETHER. Getting to the two bolts of the PCM was tricky being almost under the fender-well. I would not have wasted time there if I had just pulled the PCM up with it still in the bracket in the first place.)

ChipsByAl, I don't know if some of these experiences might help if you include them in your document. Or maybe I'm just dumb.

Lifetime Member

I read this:

To make this conversion work you need to start with a 1999 up F-car tun file.
    The 2002 OS 12212156 (available from http://www.tunefiledepot.com//) is a good choice for the base file.
    I then used the fuel segment from the 2002 Express Van OS 12212156. (Available above )
    Since the fuel tank and sender are different, I then copied the fuel system parameters, fuel gauge calibration and Convert sender to volume tables back from the Camaro/Firebird base file.
    I have a question about this process. (I did read the Custom OS tutorial.)

1. When the shop that did the initial tuning tried to crank the car, he tried to initially get it started with the MAF in place, but it would not run. He took it back to the SD tune the last guy tried when had the 422 and got it started with basic programming so I could break it in before the Dyno Tune.

I know 2002 OS 12212156 is suggested and the fuel segment from the 2002 Express Van OS 12212156.
    Being as my engine is from a 2009 Z06 LS7, are there any tables in the corresponding file for the 2009 ZO6 Corvette that I may need or can copy over to ease my initial tuning woes?

2. ALSO, being as how I want to use my '98 Trans Am's VIN# on this PCM, what is THAT process?
    Can I flash my current '98 Trans Am's VIN to the PCM BEFORE using up a license, so that I can license the final 2002 PCM with my original VIN?

Thanks!

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A View Post
    2. ALSO, being as how I want to use my '98 Trans Am's VIN# on this PCM, what is THAT process?
    Can I flash my current '98 Trans Am's VIN to the PCM BEFORE using up a license, so that I can license the final 2002 PCM with my original VIN?
    So ... I found this response by joecar to someone changing their VIN:

to flash the tune file to the new PCM you will need to use a new license (licences are based on PCM serial number not VIN).
    Do I take that to mean I:

1. License the new PCM
    2. Read the current program and save/back-up, and confirm OS number
    3. FULL re-flash of Custom Operating System to PCM
    4. CALIBRATION re-flash of the original saved program to PCM
    5. RE-read PCM again and save to new Program file
    6. Check and modify first segment in the Navigator (EFILive Custom Calibrations) as necessary to ensure "sane values" as laid out in the Custom OS tutorial.
    7. Copy last column from VE Calibration into the first column of the BOOST VE map, again into the LAST column, and increase LAST column by 300%, then perform a left to right linear fill (105-285kPa)
    8. Zero Boost Timing Calibration
    9. Set VE Multiplier to 1.00 initially, modifying later as necessary depending on commanded AFR at stable intake temp.
    10. Configure Commanded Fuel vs RPM per example in Tutorial
    11. Closed Loop Temp enable to MAX and STFT Idle Enable to Disable.
    12. Continue to follow Boosted Setup in Tutorial and use Semi-Open Loop to command Fueling.
    13. Set Torque Limiting parameters to Max Value
    14. Use Open Loop ECT Commanded Fuel Multiplier calibration to compensate for cold running conditions
    15. Save the Program to a NEW file as the Base Calibration and make a backup of it

Whew!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast