Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Read HPTuners Tune with EFILive. 2 Bar

Lifetime Member

Can I tune the VE tables properly with the MAF already disabled? Remember, I haven' been able to keep the car cranked trying to re-enable the MAF.
    I'd rather be blown, bored... AND stroked!
    Now: 447 CID (Corvette 427) , ATI Procharger D-1SC Supercharger

Lifetime Member

When I grab the 12212156 OS from the Tune Library, does anyone know if it matters whether I grab the Camaro 12212156 PCM (there is not one for 4L60E Trans Am) or the Corvette 12212156 PCM? For instance, I'm wondering if the Corvette one would have any tuning benefits to getting my car started initially, compared to the F-body (that may not be logical, but I do have the question mark in my mind).

Thanks!

Did you get these sorted out:

Quote Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A View Post
    Plan to keep you guys up to date, so. Questions:

1. I was afraid I'd make a miss-step. There are 4 gray wires and somehow I pulled one pin over and miss-labeled. I tried to back-track and MAY have it right. But, being I did that at the worst possible scenario (4 wires of same color, GRAY at 1998 pins Blue 64-67), how can I isolate and verify those four gray wire to pin locations? I read somewhere if you had a scanner it could be easily done, but there was no explanation how.

<<EDIT: Since all four of these gray wire circuits are 5V references, is it safe to assume if I pinned everything back in and a pair of these were swapped, that it would not damage anything, even though I would get a code or some other unexpected indication?>>

64 GRA 416 MAP Sensor 5V reference Pin "C"
    65 GRA 705 EGR Valve 5V Reference Pin "D"
    66 GRA 474 AC Press Sensor 5V Reference Pin "B"
    67 GRA 598 Fuel tank Pressure Sensor 5V Reference

2. What does "TEST FIRST!" mean on this wire:
    "Red C1-36 DK BLU TO Red C2-38……………TEST FIRST! 99-02 PCM’S"
    Test how? Why this one?

3. What is the difference between
    "Red C1-24 BLK/WHT If present discard it and Blue C2-24"
    and
    "Blue C2-3 TAN delete"?
    Do the "discard" and the "delete" mean the same thing? Or is something else going on?

4. And do you just tape the un-used cables somewhere or can they be tucked away into an unused pin location?
    4. It would be better to tape off (with a note on the tape) and tuck into harness.

It took me about 30 or 40 minutes to get the PCM out of the car.
    (I actually fought with trying to get the PCM out of there until I created more wiggle room by unclipping the passenger-side cowl section and realized I should remove the bracket AND the PCM TOGETHER. Getting to the two bolts of the PCM was tricky being almost under the fender-well. I would not have wasted time there if I had just pulled the PCM up with it still in the bracket in the first place.)

ChipsByAl, I don't know if some of these experiences might help if you include them in your document.

Good point, it is easier to remove PCM and bracket as one unit, we should have said so and not assumed everyone knew.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Did you get these sorted out:
    No. Any suggestion as how to make sure I can verify my routing on these (1998 64-67 Blue) would be helpful.
    I still have have same questions about DELETE vs DISCARD.
    Same for "test first" on "Red C1-36 DK BLU TO Red C2-38……………TEST FIRST! 99-02 PCM’S".
    Test what? I don't understand what it is about this one I am testing or how to test.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    4. It would be better to tape off (with a note on the tape) and tuck into harness.
    Thanks!

I'll find out more about Delete vs Discard (I think they both mean Delete) and Test First (I think this means verify what is at the other end of the wire).

Also, I think we can benefit from 1998 and 2001/2002 wiring diagrams, I'll dig some up.

I read this:

I have a question about this process. (I did read the Custom OS tutorial.)

1. When the shop that did the initial tuning tried to crank the car, he tried to initially get it started with the MAF in place, but it would not run. He took it back to the SD tune the last guy tried when had the 422 and got it started with basic programming so I could break it in before the Dyno Tune.

I know 2002 OS 12212156 is suggested and the fuel segment from the 2002 Express Van OS 12212156.
    Being as my engine is from a 2009 Z06 LS7, are there any tables in the corresponding file for the 2009 ZO6 Corvette that I may need or can copy over to ease my initial tuning woes?
    Yes, all the injector tables, VE tables, idle tables, spark tables, and possible some others... do you have all these tables already in LS1A/LS1B form...?
    If not, the some of them will have to be interpolated (if you're using stock LS3/LS7 injectors, I already have those tables interpolated for LS1B).

Is your 1998 (LS1A) tune file already edited to run the LS7...?

( sure, a good tuner can make a 1998 tune file work, but I think you're much better off running a 2002 PCM to run your LS7 )

I'll have more comments on this later, need to know what we're starting from...

2. ALSO
    , being as how I want to use my '98 Trans Am's VIN# on this PCM, what is THAT process?
    Can I flash my current '98 Trans Am's VIN to the PCM BEFORE using up a license, so that I can license the final 2002 PCM with my original VIN?

Thanks!
    You can write your 1998 TA's VIN into the 0411 PCM using the V7 scantool: go Bidirectional->Change VIN.

You will also need to do a VATS Relearn (i.e. get BCM to talk to PCM), done with tunetool in similar manner.

Changing VIN does not use any licenses.

VATS Relearn does not use any licenses.

Do I take that to mean I:

1. License the new PCM
    2. Read the current program and save/back-up, and confirm OS number
    3. FULL re-flash of Custom Operating System to PCM
    4. CALIBRATION re-flash of the original saved program to PCM
    5. RE-read PCM again and save to new Program file
    6. Check and modify first segment in the Navigator (EFILive Custom Calibrations) as necessary to ensure "sane values" as laid out in the Custom OS tutorial.
    7. Copy last column from VE Calibration into the first column of the BOOST VE map, again into the LAST column, and increase LAST column by 300%, then perform a left to right linear fill (105-285kPa)
    8. Zero Boost Timing Calibration
    9. Set VE Multiplier to 1.00 initially, modifying later as necessary depending on commanded AFR at stable intake temp.
    10. Configure Commanded Fuel vs RPM per example in Tutorial
    11. Closed Loop Temp enable to MAX and STFT Idle Enable to Disable.
    12. Continue to follow Boosted Setup in Tutorial and use Semi-Open Loop to command Fueling.
    13. Set Torque Limiting parameters to Max Value
    14. Use Open Loop ECT Commanded Fuel Multiplier calibration to compensate for cold running conditions
    15. Save the Program to a NEW file as the Base Calibration and make a backup of it

Whew!
    #1 would occur when attempting to do #3... it will ask for a license, you tell it ok (and which license slot), it exits; you then attempt to do #3 again, this time it will proceed.

For #7 thru #15: mostly yes... we may want to put in "better" values since the tutorial was written (for example, use B3647 to control non-boosted fueling, and then use PE to control boosted fueling).

I know, this is a long process... no different than if you're rebuilding your engine or trans, being meticulous is important, don't rush it, check your work.

As far as tuning this T/A with the 427 (441 cid) and the D-1SC in it is concerned, when I watched the guy tune (after the issue the car had after discovering one of my dual-setup pumps was marginal and the SD implementation the last shop that had it years ago was incorrect/incomplete was fixed ), this guy's work with the VE tables went a long way. But, I can't peep what he did since I don't see full HPTuner tables.

Also, the car was going into some kind of limp mode if I did anywhere over about 35% WOT. Even after his initial tuning, I have that issue when I pour on the power (he couldn't duplicate the issue on the dyno. (Condition is it won't shift out of gear until about 3500 RPMs from gear to gear after going about 35% or more WOT. I have to shut it down an minute, and then everything is shifting normal again.).

I'm tired of spending $1000's of dollars and having incomplete results in the end. When I get the PCM wired in and flash it with the program and OS ChipsByAl and joecar references, since I have a wide-band O2 to install, I will use the VE calculation and SD tuning instructions you guys have posted and have a go at it myself. Wish me godspeed .... :-)

There are some MAP and TP sanity tables that have to be edited to allow for boost.

Which transmission do you have...?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar
    I think we can benefit from 1998 and 2001/2002 wiring diagrams, I'll dig some up
    Also, I have have the Shop Manuals for my car. and thanks for the feedback/advice.

Yes, all the injector tables, VE tables, idle tables, spark tables, and possible some others... do you have all these tables already in LS1A/LS1B form...?
    I downloaded all the tuning files I think you guys recommended

2002 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe Automatic LS1 5.7 Litre (12212156).ctz
    2002 Chevrolet Express (4L80E) Van Automatic L31 5.7 Litre (12212156).ctz
    02020003.tun Custom OS in bin folder (I understand this to be the OS for 2002 LS1 3-Bar)

I'm not sure what you mean about "... do you have all these tables already in LS1A/LS1B form?"

If not, the some of them will have to be interpolated (if you're using stock LS3/LS7 injectors, I already have those tables interpolated for LS1B).
    I purchased 85# Injectors that are in there. I have a boost-a-pump, upgraded braided fuel lines, two-intank pumps and stock LS7 fuel rail they say will handle HP up to 700+

Is your 1998 (LS1A) tune file already edited to run the LS7...?
    I have two tunes ... the inital one that let me crank and drive it (but I could not go into boost at all), and the current HPTuners 2Bar. Both are SD.

There are some MAP and TP sanity tables that have to be edited to allow for boost. Which transmission do you have...?
    I have a "built" 4L60E with the 6 Pinion Planetary that takes 1st/2nd hear ratio to 2.87/1.57

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast