Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody bored and feel like walking through a tune

Default Anybody bored and feel like walking through a tune

Here is the deal. I must be a slow learner. As you read in my first post I scanned a car and he blew it up because he did take the warning serious. Well I have a new friend that just moved here with a 98 C5 that he paid a shop allot of money to have them install heads, cam, intake, gears and a converter which he had removed because he didn't think he liked it. They charged him $300 for an EFI live tune. They didn't tune anything but gears from what I see. My car is broke so I can't learn on mine. He plans on driving this car to Texas for a professional tune from 21st muscle cars I believe. I would feel better making sure the car is good to drive that far first. We tried to find a shop to weld in a 02 bung but we were shot down by 4 shops so far because it's to low. So with all that said is anyone willing to walk through a basic tune using fuel trims unless it can be done installing the wideband another way.

Here is what he has Patriot stage 2 heads I think, 228/222 588/581 114.5 cam, LS6 intake, Vararam and shorty headers with 3.42 gears.
    During WOT it is in knock retard the whole time
    The one log during cruise we started off with it cold.
    And if anyone is curious no I'm not charging money or claiming great knowledge just trying to learn when the wife will give me a break cause I'm on the CPU. Hopefully Mr. Freeman will log on to this thread if anyone is up to helping. If not I understand, most on here have logged the time to learn this and I respect that.

Here is the 1st WOT log, sorry their short but the streets were kinda busy. also links to the other logs.
    http://f5.putfile.com/5/13319572935.png
    http://f5.putfile.com/5/13320011788.png

are you sure the knock is real knock? can you actually hear it? does it have the stock injectors? has it been on a dyno with a wbo2? do you have any idea what a/f it's running? have you tried pulling a couple of plugs to see how they are burning? tuning with fuel trims is a royal pita, i wouldn't recommend it. you could try to scale up the upper area of the ve table and see if it helps, it won't be spot on, but it will at least give you direction. get an lc-1, or something like it, and do the auto tune, it works great and is super easy.

if you are determined to drive down here, i don't see any reason you couldn't drive it the way it is, unless there is something mechanical causing the knock. 21st is right across the street from where i work, they have some awesome cars there and could definately steer you in the right direction.
    408,TH-400 manual shift, two stage NOS, 4.10\'s, blah blah blah

Looking at the screen shot the KR would appear to be real. You can see the "saw tooth" pattern of the logged KR... As the timing is being put back in you can see that it retards again because of renewed KR. Generally that is an indication of real knock.

False KR usually just gets logged and looks like a slope back to 0 it that makes sense.
    Andrew
    EFILive Crew

My guess is that its terribly lean
    as you havent got much timing in it.
    Oztrack
    EFILive Tuning Consultant

Worldwide Remote Tuning Service

2006 NSW Super Street Drag Racing Champion

www.oztrack.com.au

Thanks guys, I was wandering if being lean could be the problem. We really need to get the wideband on it. Is their any way to use one of the front 02 bungs.

My voltages are well over 0.900 even though i tune with a wideband and its steadily at around 12.5-12.8 afr. Much of the time the O2s just for comparison are 0.927v for a 12.6 afr. Im not sure that its very reliable car to car though.

Get it more than rich enough and see if that helps. Then wind more timing into it and see what happens.

So what would be the proper way to richen it up?

Quote Originally Posted by TLKSCHP
    Is their any way to use one of the front 02 bungs.
    You *could* install the WB in the front O2 position and go through the whole AutoVE thing. However, I agree with Terminator that you shouldn't need to fuss with it too much to get to 21st. After all he's not going WOT from KS to TX, right? About all I'd worry with too much (assuming he still has the gears and converter) is the gear scaling stuff and maybe misfire. Would be useful to have the tranny not being squirrely on the trip down. Unless you have reason to believe that things are seriously amiss in the operating regions it *must* to see to get down here (which does not include WOT), I'd be reluctant to change much - sometimes you don't pull the knife out of a stabbing victim right away.

He won't be going for almost a month. No he had the converter removed but plans on going with a 2800 yank now. He is going to have them do the install. I will have to go through all this on my own soon enough. Planning on a 224/228 581/588 112, I hope that cam will work with the heads i have coming, their milled .030 on a 98 casting.

Ho do most tuners like 21st muscle cars read the A/F, do they weld in a bung?

Until it's tuned, could just make the PE vs RPM table richer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast