Thread: in search of someone with 24X LT1 experience.

Default in search of someone with 24X LT1 experience.

I need someone to help me get on my way. Long story short, I need a basic start up base tune for this 24x LT1 that will get me started and on my way to the dyno. If you can please advise me to someone or point me in the right direction.
    This will be my first time doing this so I'm going in blind, just need a little push start.

I'll post anything you need to know in order to better help me.

If you happen to have a paypal I'll be willing to shoot you a little money for making things easier on me.
    Thank you in advance

I may have worded my post wrong, let me try again.

I just joined into this forum because I'm at a stand still. I've never done a 24X setup before but efi connection install sheet says a few things need to be changed and from what I'm hearing is the knock sensor is a pita to get lined out, so I have filled drilled and tapped the block to accept the ls1 ks.

What I would like is someone to set a base table to get me started. I've searched for some time now but I can't find anyone using the LS ks on a LTx

If anyone reading this could take a few minutes away to point me in the direction I need to go or give me a reference to whom I need to contact for help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for reading

Lifetime Member

My understanding of how knock sensors work is that engine knock causes a 'ringing' in the engine block and the sensor detects this ringing.

I've never heard of anyone fitting an LS knock sensor into an LT engine. The LT block is iron while the LS block is aluminum, so they probably ring at different frequencies. You can adjust the detection frequency in table {B6226} Knock Sensor Frequency, but you'd need to know what frequency the LT block rings at. You'd probably also have to adjust some of the knock sensor multiplier tables.

The LT has a different firing order to the LS, so you need to modify your wiring harness to get the correct spark firing order and fuel injector firing order. If you're going to run the engine in closed loop, you'll also need to adjust {B3704} Injection Bank Assignments.

Start with a base LS tune, with an OS suitable for the PCM you're using, and put in the injector data for whatever injectors you are using. If you have a larger cam fitted, then add a couple of grams to your desired airflow and bump up your Idle RPM to whatever is suitable for that cam.

That should get you running good enough to get you to a dyno.

Lifetime Member

HPTuners or Tunercats may have knock sensor data in their stock tunes as EFILive does not support the LT platform as far as I know. I forget specifically who actually does support the LT.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.
    1997 GMC Sierra K3500 7.4/4L80E, 411 w/COS 3, Whipple, small cam.
    2004 Corvette Z06 with longtubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Supercharged111 View Post
    HPTuners or Tunercats may have knock sensor data in their stock tunes as EFILive does not support the LT platform as far as I know. I forget specifically who actually does support the LT.
    Pretty sure only Tunercat supports the LT PCM, but I wouldn't look to the LT tables for guidance, that is an older generation computer so the knock hardware and software processing was probably very different inside the LT PCM vs the LS generation PCM's.
    What might work is the knock sensors and table values from an iron block truck LS motor.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Good call, I bet the knock sensor tables are apples and dogshit now that I think of it. One thing to keep in mind is that the LT sensors go near the oil pan on the block, whereas the LS sensors are in the valley pan. For best results, sanity check what you're using against dyno results. I want to say the car should flat line or nose over WRT timing advance before knocking. Boosted would be different, it'd get better then suddenly detonate.
    1998 GMC Sierra K1500 5.7/4L80E, longtubes, 411 w/COS 5, marine cam/intake, Whipple. 91 octane at 6000'.

I'm running the LS wiring harness and pcm on this built LT engine so please don't look at it as another LT operating system.
    Good point GMPX, I'll look into the iron block 5.3 knock sensor and also I've read that many people are using the knock sensor from a early 2000 model express van or 5.7 vortec HD truck since they were actually a standard sbc with a LS 411 pcm
    I'm probably going to try it a few different ways and see which has the best outcome and post my findings.

I haven't received much help and I also haven't found many in depth details of how-to guides on this subject. Hopefully I can be some help to others that are going this route and not just LT but standard sbc 24x conversion as well.

Lifetime Member

Derr, on that note look into the 5.7 Vortec tune from the 411 PCM. Same knock sensor location as LT.