Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bricking LS1B PCM by Changing VIN

Default Bricking LS1B PCM by Changing VIN

I am not on the newest update, using V8 build 276 and V7.5 build 282. I have bricked 4 LS1B PCM's in a row by FULL flashing them to a different year (works every time) then using the scan tool to change VIN. Once I change the VIN the PCM is bricked. You can't read it or reflash it. I am changing 99-01 PCM's over to 2002 usually. I have done hundreds of these over the years and never had an issue until within the last month or two. I tried a different laptop, a new bench harness, new cables on my V2 and it still does it.

Ok so in saying bricking are they totally non responsive or come back as locked? Technically bricking an ECM to the point of being non responsive by changing the VIN is impossible.
    Also are these just standard OS's or custom OS's?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Standard OS flashing to standard OS. Im flashing stock 99-01 PCM's over to 2002 12212156 usually. Today was flashing them to 2001 as a requested by customer. Once I full flash them I can read them back out or flash them again with zero issue. As soon as I take the Scan Tool and change the VIN to a 2002 or 2001 as in todays case I can no longer read or flash the pcm with efi or hpt. The pcm will also not run a vehicle either.

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    I can no longer read or flash the pcm with efi or hpt. The pcm will also not run a vehicle either.
    Ok, but what is the error that EFILive gives?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-11-19 at 2.46.45 PM.png 
Views:	305 
Size:	107.6 KB 
ID:	19037

I'll get that or bootloader rejected.

If I use V7 and check Try Alt Keys & Check Recover PCM I can FULL Flash PCM and it will take. So far got 3 of the 4 PCM's to work again using that method.

I'll do some experimentation here, though I am of course using the latest install so it is not a 1:1 comparison.
    I'll try going from 9381344 to 12212156. Regardless never heard of this issue before, absolutely bizarre.

I also tried to flash my LB7 truck and it says its locked with custom key (even though its not). I can not read it or write it. After trying for 20-30 mins it now shows pcm is unlocked but still wont read or write. I updated laptop to Build 283 and it did not make a difference. I have not flashed my tuck in a couple years but I still have the same V2 and I never locked it.

Also noticed on the bench harness after changing VIN and trying to flash or read pcm it says recovery mode instead of the normal boot loader then unlocking before it locks up.

I had some strange issues with two LB7 ecms this week as well........bricked two of them on Full Flashes.

With no way to downgrade the V2 firmware and go back to an older software version I will have to roll the dice and see if it was a fluke or if it is a issue.

If I brick a third LB7 ecm today then I know something is up.
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Thats definitely not what I wanted to hear. I was going to mess with mine more today but I think I'll wait now. I cant afford to brick my ecm and have my truck down right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast