Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After latest updates cannot load bootloader without checking "use alt keys"

Quote Originally Posted by zapp168 View Post

Reading and writing the tune
    "Bootloader rejected Reason: Controller has returned to normal operation please retry the operation.
    It shows "unlock not ready" several times, if I check "try alt keys" it says "unlock not ready" then "trying alt keys" and it goes through. Neither car did this previously and i don't want to flash anything else for fear that it is just going to mess something up.

Thanks
    Does it still say this after updating V7/V8/V2...?

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Does it still say this after updating V7/V8/V2...?
    Yes, after all updates it does the same thing
    98 WS6, M6, 02 PCM, CO3, SD 2 Bar tune, 416 D1SC Procharger, 73# Injectors, Patriot Lq9 heads, 232 int 240 exh. Lift .595 int .608 exh 115.. header, Intake, AEM WB.

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

There was a bug in a very old version of V7.5 that under certain full-flash conditions would accidentally erase the seed/key values in the PCM to 0000/0000. That in turn causes the PCM to appear to be locked to the EFILive software and only by using "Try Alt Keys" (which tries the 0000/0000 combination) can you read or flash the controller.

If that is the case it can be corrected by running the V7.5 tune tool and selecting the locking option (menu option: Flash->PCM Security...). Select the correct controller type and then click on the [Check Status] button, it should show up as "Locked with a Custom Key". You should then check the "Try Alt Keys" button and enter the key of $0000 (including the $ sign) and click [Unlock]. That should restore the seed/key in the PCM to a stock/standard GM seed/key pair.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    There was a bug in a very old version of V7.5 that under certain full-flash conditions would accidentally erase the seed/key values in the PCM to 0000/0000. That in turn causes the PCM to appear to be locked to the EFILive software and only by using "Try Alt Keys" (which tries the 0000/0000 combination) can you read or flash the controller.

If that is the case it can be corrected by running the V7.5 tune tool and selecting the locking option (menu option: Flash->PCM Security...). Select the correct controller type and then click on the [Check Status] button, it should show up as "Locked with a Custom Key". You should then check the "Try Alt Keys" button and enter the key of $0000 (including the $ sign) and click [Unlock]. That should restore the seed/key in the PCM to a stock/standard GM seed/key pair.

Regards
    Paul
    Will try that today and get back to you. Thanks!
    98 WS6, M6, 02 PCM, CO3, SD 2 Bar tune, 416 D1SC Procharger, 73# Injectors, Patriot Lq9 heads, 232 int 240 exh. Lift .595 int .608 exh 115.. header, Intake, AEM WB.

Will try that today and get back to you. Thanks!
    When I went into security the message was "PCM is secured with a standard key (NOT LOCKED) STATUS was a green check mark. However this time when I flashed it went through. I tried again and it worked, I tried to flash in V8 and got $054a boot loader failed to start, I have not tried again. The second car same thing happened.
    I did note that it scrolled "PCM reports not secured" then "PCM has been re-armed"

I have some adjustments to make I will post the results when I attempt to re-flash. Should I be using 7.5 or 8 to flash?

Thanks

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

When I went into security the message was "PCM is secured with a standard key (NOT LOCKED) STATUS was a green check mark. However this time when I flashed it went through. I tried again and it worked, I tried to flash in V8 and got $054a boot loader failed to start, I have not tried again. The second car same thing happened.
    I did note that it scrolled "PCM reports not secured" then "PCM has been re-armed"

I have some adjustments to make I will post the results when I attempt to re-flash. Should I be using 7.5 or 8 to flash?

Thanks
    I recommend using V8 to read/flash, V8 is more robust and stable than V7.
    After getting the $054A error (or any error) when attempting to read/flash with V8 can you please locate the trace file in the folder: \My Documents\EFILive\V8\Trace that matches the attempt that just failed and email me that trace file. Email it to paul@efilive.com.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12