Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginner help with LML tune

Default Beginner help with LML tune

I recently purchased EFI Live and V2. I'm trying to find help on tuning a 2012 Duramax LML. I've read the LML tutorial, the FAQs, and any other post that I could find, but I can't find any information on where to start for tuning an LML. It seems that everyone is very tight-lipped about this stuff. Could someone point me in the right direction?

No disrespect intended but you need a very good understanding of the previous versions in respect to tuning. That will get you somewhat started. You can then throw most if that away and start over if you know what I mean by that. Do you plan on just mild tuning or delete tune img?

Default Beginner help with LML tune

Quote Originally Posted by S Phinney View Post
    No disrespect intended but you need a very good understanding of the previous versions in respect to tuning. That will get you somewhat started. You can then throw most if that away and start over if you know what I mean by that. Do you plan on just mild tuning or delete tune img?
    I appreciate the reply and any help. I'm not sure how to get a good understanding of the previous versions, when I just purchased the latest (v7.5 & 8). I do plan on just mild tuning, but I do want to delete DEF and EGR. DPF regens are rediculous (happen too often), and the mileage goes to squat. Basically stock otherwise, I do want to add a lift pump to save the remaining life of the brand new cp4 (Bosch fuel pump). Will probably do a cp3 conversion in the near future as well. No plans for bigger turbo or injectors, or anything like that.

I do know my way around most software, and I get comfortable rather quickly. I'm an owner in a software company, so I'm used to seeing different User Interfaces and adapting quickly. Not saying I'm genius, but I'm sure that I can learn and I'm willing to put forth the effort.

Again, any help is much appreciated, even if it's just pointing me in the right direction. At this point, any tutorials that I've read have been a small help, at best.

Just buy a tune from one of the big tunes and be done. You might know other software but efilive is more than a software you have too understand what your changes that you are making are doing
    Also not everything is marked out like older generations so a LML is not a truck that you learn on anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by $chultz38 View Post
    Just buy a tune from one of the big tunes and be done. You might know other software but efilive is more than a software you have too understand what your changes that you are making are doing
    Also not everything is marked out like older generations so a LML is not a truck that you learn on anyway!
    I don't get it. I thought this was a forum for EFILive, a software that is sold, and used to tune vehicles. I would assume that the format of said forum would be to encourage as much activity as possible, as to increase the opportunity to sell more software, and/or VINs. In actuality, it seems that you only get discouragement on why you shouldn't use the tuning software that you just purchased...seems a bit counter-intuitive to me.

Please don't misunderstand or misinterpret this reply, as many electronic messages are misinterpreted. I'm sure that most, if not everyone, on here are much more knowledgeable than me on this product. As in my original post, I'm only asking for a little help...point in the right direction...and as of now, I'm only hearing why I shouldn't have purchased. When I mentioned that I know other software, it was only to note that a different UI doesn't scare me...as it does most people. It's just like a college education: you don't know anything, it's just to prove to your first employer that you were willing to put up with 4 years of crap...and you'll learn everything you need in that first year of "real" business.

I would gladly purchase a tune from someone, but only if it's unlocked. I will learn this one way or another; even if I scatter the internals all over the road.

I do have a 2007 L92 that I could practice on, but that ECM is an E38, and it's my understanding that's another beast as well. What'll I do?!

Nobody is selling unlocked tunes these days. It will take you many months time if not years to acclimate yourself in respect to tuning this truck. That's why I said you should know something to start with. I understand you have to start some place. That's what I did as well. That was six years ago. I tune trucks for guys as well. I don't push my tuning on people or market it as others do. I would give you some pointers but it is very complicated with this version truck. If you take care of torque management you will pick up a decent amount of power in itself.

Start with the peddle position to desired torque tables. Make small changes and test. This will help the dead peddle issue with stock trucks.
    2013 LML, 550hp with factory emissions, stock cp4 and compound turbos.
    2002 LBZ, 4x4 (Max'd Out) 6000lbs 9.36 @ 154 mph NHRDA Champion and Record holder
    1965 El Camino, duramax 9.6 @ 149MPH

All EFI tuned by Adrenaline Truck Performance

EFILIVE USED to be an open software exchange where everybody pooled together there knowledge to make better tunes than the canned tunes that were available. What happened from what I have seen is people started selling tunes to others who didn't want to tune there trucks, or gave up on trying to learn, and before you knew it it all became commercialized. People used to share there work and tunes with others to learn, but then others would come in and take those tunes, resell them as there own to make a buck off of somebody elses work, and claim how great a tuner they were when in reality they didn't know how to tune, just to steal others work. When I first got into this back in 09, it was still semi open to sharing your work, but getting commercialized and locking down. I know I lucked out and got some help from somebody else who was just starting out when others did like above and said buy a tune from somebody. Once I got a grasp on the tuning concept, I started tuning others stuff for them UNTIL I found out I had spent 2 weeks of my time helping somebody tune whta I THOUGHT was his truck, only to find out it was a customers truck that I had just helped him build a tune for. Since then I have been a bit more stingy with offering help to others. As to LML's, they are a whole nother ballgame to tune from what I have gathered, and after everything I have read, I decided to not get into tuning them. If you do try it out, be prepared for an EXTREME learning curve. Make SMALL changes, and keep track of what everything does. And as many have found, no 2 LML's seem to be the same as far as tuning, they all have there quirks.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

This is very true.

THEFERMANATOR and S Phinney
    Thanks for some honest help. I somewhat get it that people want to be protective, but the bad pills in the bunch take the fun out for the rest of us. I have no interest in doing this commercially. I have my own fleet of GM vehicles, along with my family's few. I want to be able tweak and play with the tuning. Nothing more.

I will heed the advice you've given and do a little digging in.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast