Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beginner help with LML tune

Quote Originally Posted by Jud View Post
    What do you consider a mild tune?For more power your going to want to add some fuel and mess with the timing.
    Yes, that's exactly what I want to do. I made the changes for throttle position to Torque. Which tables do I use for timing and fuel?

The injection pulses is where you want to add fuel.Start with the bottom right of the table and don't add a lot.I would also find a timing calculator and use that to figure out timing.Is this the first diesel you have ever messed with?

Quote Originally Posted by Jud View Post
    The injection pulses is where you want to add fuel.Start with the bottom right of the table and don't add a lot.I would also find a timing calculator and use that to figure out timing.Is this the first diesel you have ever messed with?
    On my own, yes, my first. I've helped with some LLY and LB7 builds.

Quote Originally Posted by racintj View Post
    I recently purchased EFI Live and V2. I'm trying to find help on tuning a 2012 Duramax LML. I've read the LML tutorial, the FAQs, and any other post that I could find, but I can't find any information on where to start for tuning an LML. It seems that everyone is very tight-lipped about this stuff. Could someone point me in the right direction?
    Your end goal is to get 130mm3 (fuel fuel, or close to it) at WOT. Once you have that through the gears, you know you killed enough torque limits.

From that point, move on to timing. A quick look will tell you do 1000uS=10*, 2000uS=20*, 3000uS=30*. Interpolate from there...

Lml have a latency on turning the injectors off, so just in quick, add a extra 4* to everything and it will have you within the range. Don't go over 1550uS on stock cp4, it'll drain the rail. So 1400uS and 18* timing and it will run fine. These things peak around 36lbs boost. Only run as much boost as you need to clean it up and keep egts in check. Airflow and fuel make torque and power... The quicker and more efficient you can make it happen, the more it makes.

Good luck!
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    Your end goal is to get 130mm3 (fuel fuel, or close to it) at WOT. Once you have that through the gears, you know you killed enough torque limits.

From that point, move on to timing. A quick look will tell you do 1000uS=10*, 2000uS=20*, 3000uS=30*. Interpolate from there...

Lml have a latency on turning the injectors off, so just in quick, add a extra 4* to everything and it will have you within the range. Don't go over 1550uS on stock cp4, it'll drain the rail. So 1400uS and 18* timing and it will run fine. These things peak around 36lbs boost. Only run as much boost as you need to clean it up and keep egts in check. Airflow and fuel make torque and power... The quicker and more efficient you can make it happen, the more it makes.

Good luck!
    Dmaxink, I really appreciate the sharing of your knowledge. This is great stuff. Not that I can totally interpolate the full understanding of this yet, but it definitely gives me much more logic than I had previously. It's starting to make sense to me, but it hasn't totally "clicked" yet.

When you mention "tuning the injectors off", do you mean that they flatline, or they actually fall off? Does a lift pump help with this? And again, I'm assuming the lift pump will help with sustaining the cp4 (brand new as of last month) to keep from draining the rail...as bad?

Quote Originally Posted by racintj View Post
    Dmaxink, I really appreciate the sharing of your knowledge. This is great stuff. Not that I can totally interpolate the full understanding of this yet, but it definitely gives me much more logic than I had previously. It's starting to make sense to me, but it hasn't totally "clicked" yet.

When you mention "tuning the injectors off", do you mean that they flatline, or they actually fall off? Does a lift pump help with this? And again, I'm assuming the lift pump will help with sustaining the cp4 (brand new as of last month) to keep from draining the rail...as bad?
    Sorry, I meant from when the injectors are commanded to stop flowing after letting off throttle vs when they actually stop flowing. You can command 1500uS in the duration table, however, the injectors are actually staying on for longer than that.

1500uS without a lift pump is pushing it, some take more and some take less. Push on it and make changes by 50-100uS at a time.. Once actual fuel pressure starts falling from desired, then you know you are at the limits of the fuel pump.
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    Sorry, I meant from when the injectors are commanded to stop flowing after letting off throttle vs when they actually stop flowing. You can command 1500uS in the duration table, however, the injectors are actually staying on for longer than that.

1500uS without a lift pump is pushing it, some take more and some take less. Push on it and make changes by 50-100uS at a time.. Once actual fuel pressure starts falling from desired, then you know you are at the limits of the fuel pump.
    Ok, that makes sense. Thanks again. I'll make some changes and see what happens.

Don't forget though there is also a delay in the time it takes for the injector to begin to flow as well. not sure what it is for the LML as I haven't played with one yet to see, but the earlier non piezo type injectors had roughly a 90-100 usec delay in turning on. This means if you commanded 90 usec for the pulse width, it wouldn't actually inject any fuel due to the delay in the pressure differential to allow the injector to saturate the injector solenoid, create enough charge to open the bypass valve, and for the injector to pop and flow fuel.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Quote Originally Posted by THEFERMANATOR View Post
    Don't forget though there is also a delay in the time it takes for the injector to begin to flow as well. not sure what it is for the LML as I haven't played with one yet to see, but the earlier non piezo type injectors had roughly a 90-100 usec delay in turning on. This means if you commanded 90 usec for the pulse width, it wouldn't actually inject any fuel due to the delay in the pressure differential to allow the injector to saturate the injector solenoid, create enough charge to open the bypass valve, and for the injector to pop and flow fuel.
    There isn't nearly the delay in the electronic piezo injectors.

Didn't think there was, but haven't tried one yet to see. I know in theory the piezo crystal responds MUCH faster than an electro magnetic coil does.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast