Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Beginner help with LML tune

Quote Originally Posted by Dmaxink View Post
    Your end goal is to get 130mm3 (fuel fuel, or close to it) at WOT. Once you have that through the gears, you know you killed enough torque limits.

From that point, move on to timing. A quick look will tell you do 1000uS=10*, 2000uS=20*, 3000uS=30*. Interpolate from there...

Lml have a latency on turning the injectors off, so just in quick, add a extra 4* to everything and it will have you within the range. Don't go over 1550uS on stock cp4, it'll drain the rail. So 1400uS and 18* timing and it will run fine. These things peak around 36lbs boost. Only run as much boost as you need to clean it up and keep egts in check. Airflow and fuel make torque and power... The quicker and more efficient you can make it happen, the more it makes.

Good luck!
    Why do you recommend only running enough boost to clean it up? Why not just let it run as high as it'll go? Is it just the risk of blowing stuff up?

Default Beginner help with LML tune

Two reasons are heat and turbo efficiency. The right combination makes more power, last longer and is more fun to drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sonoma98 View Post
    Why do you recommend only running enough boost to clean it up? Why not just let it run as high as it'll go? Is it just the risk of blowing stuff up?
    Anymore boost pressure than what is needed is just wasted power use and actually REDUCES your power output. To make boost pressure you also have to add exhaust back pressure. Adding exhaust pressure decreases the engine's efficiency, and reduces the cylinders ability to exhaust the gases. So adding excess boost simply reduces the engines efficiency COSTING you power output.
    1995 GMC 2500 SUBURBAN powered by 01 DURAMAX/ALLISON, little of this, a little of that,
    DIAMONDEYE 4" exhaust, CORSA muffler, AFE stage 1 dry filter, custom tuning by me, KENNEDY single pump and pump rub kit.

What are all the parameters you guys end up changing for something like a 70hp tune for a LML

Pedal Position to torque, Injection Pulse, Injection timing? I made some modifications to pedal pos to torque, dont really have a dead peddle issue then made some adjustments to injection pulse made very very small changes but on first start sounded like a race cam when I started it I shut it off and changed back to previous tune I am assuming I need to adjust timing?

What are your guys starting points and procedure when tuning a lml that maybe you didnt have a tune for what the truck owner wants?
    if anyone is intested in helping me build a solid new tune for some cash then let me know im just trying to learn I think im on the right path just looking for tips

Not sure if I can post links or not. So I wont. But Starlight Diesel offers a great course for learning how to tune your Duramax with EFI Live. Don't bother looking to download it, that is impossible, but you really don't need to attend one of there courses either (depending on how you learn) their book covers everything.

I have took a class years ago and enjoyed it Zach was great and yes the book covers a lot of detail on making changes on earlier model set ups.

Then the next step (if you understand the core concept, and yes that is vague) but take a tune, that adds power, or does a delete, or is set up for towing, then compare to the stock tune, learn what they changed, and why. When you get into specifics about EFI Live and what the parameters are that you are changing, well that is where this forum is perfect. In all honesty the difference between a Tuner and someone that wants to get into tuning, is just the Tuner knows where to look to get the answers he needs. We don't know everything, and anyone that says they do, well I'm sure we could think of a couple motors to throw at them and see how they build a tune, or fail to do so. lol.

I dont have any modified tunes which sucks, wish I had just something I could look at just to see it would be really helpful like when it comes to the modes if some get modified or just duplicated or left alone I am able to see what some do in mode assignment and havn't been messing with regen modes and stuff like that until I know how much a parameter can be modified when the trucks in a certain mode.
    White 2015 GMC Sierra Denali LML Duramax: Basically Stock

White 2009 Ford F350 Powerstroke reg cab 14' flatbed Dually: Sct wDpf delete, S and B intake, Egr delete, fass titanium 150

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234