Thread: Z28 auto swap

Default Z28 auto swap

We have a 2014 Z28 that the customer wants to do a 6l90 swap. We have a takeout 6l90 from a ZL1. Is it possible to load a custom os that would "turn on" the ability for the e38 to talk to the t43 over the GMLAN? We are not adding the paddles. Shift points would be set with the tuning. Thanks

I would start with an E38 file that was already talking to a T43, and copy over the tables...

my $0.02

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 32vape View Post
    We have a 2014 Z28 that the customer wants to do a 6l90 swap. We have a takeout 6l90 from a ZL1. Is it possible to load a custom os that would "turn on" the ability for the e38 to talk to the t43 over the GMLAN? We are not adding the paddles. Shift points would be set with the tuning. Thanks
    That is a boat load of work, especially to a car that would have been under warranty until 2019.

There is a lot of wiring to sort out - GMLAN (CAN Bus) flows through the T43, Accessory Wake Up (from the BCM to the E38 and T43), Park-Neutral input, and Brake input - to name a few.

You are correct - you cannot add OEM style Paddle Shifters (TUTD) with a BCM that is programmed as a manual transmission vehicle. You could add a simple switch (like many custom vehicles use) - and program the T43 to activate TUTD via a hardwired switch.

Joecar's suggestion is probably the best option for most casual users of tuning software - it is a little labor intensive, but should be successful.

In a 2014 Camaro the BCM controls many functions, including Starting and Cruise Control. With careful rewiring, and appropriate reprogramming of the E38 - these may work correctly with a BCM programmed for a manual transmission vehicle.

The wiring is not an issue, and I tune many vehicles a week with efi live. I just need more specifics on what needs to be done as far as programming to get the e38 to recognize that there is now a tcm on the network. Would I need to load in a different os? Or if I just add in the wiring the network will just accept there is a tcm?

Lifetime Member

... The wiring is not an issue ...
    As long as the rewiring was meticulously completed, then things will likely be OK - this is the most critical component of your conversion project. The BCM may still be problematic (i.e. not allowing starting or inhibiting Cruise Control).

... and I tune many vehicles a week with efi live ...
    Nice to hear that you use EFILive frequently - it is a very user friendly tuning software. However, the necessary skill sets for a dyno (airflow) tuner, and a conversion (component compatibility) tuner are very different.

... need more specifics on what needs to be done as far as programming to get the e38 to recognize that there is now a tcm on the network. Would I need to load in a different os? Or if I just add in the wiring the network will just accept there is a tcm ...
    There is a little more to it than that. This is where knowledge of potential conversion issues comes into play. Your 2014 Z28 (LS7) used an E38 ECM with OS 12656198. The same E38 and the same OS was used by both L99 and LS3 Camaros in 2014. The LS3 was mated to a TR6060 manual transmission - just like your LS7. The L99 was mated to the 6L80 automatic transmission - so this tune is the resource that you will need to make things work. For Camaros, 2014 was the first year that the 6L80 and 6L90 TCMs used the same OS - so you are fortunate that this conversion project is a 2014 model.

Where do you go from here ...

I would suggest that you follow Joecar's advice from post #2. Obtain an E38 tune from a 2014 Camaro with the L99 engine - then copy over the relevant parameters from your LS7 tune into the L99 tune. This will not be perfect, but it should get you going such that you could then dyno tune the airflow models (MAF & VVE).

Another option is to swap in the relevant segments from the L99 tune into the LS7 tune - but this is not recommended for most tuners. There are several tables and parameters that would need to be adjusted after the segment swaps - which are not available in any tuning software.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    As long as the rewiring was meticulously completed, then things will likely be OK - this is the most critical component of your conversion project. The BCM may still be problematic (i.e. not allowing starting or inhibiting Cruise Control).

Nice to hear that you use EFILive frequently - it is a very user friendly tuning software. However, the necessary skill sets for a dyno (airflow) tuner, and a conversion (component compatibility) tuner are very different.

There is a little more to it than that. This is where knowledge of potential conversion issues comes into play. Your 2014 Z28 (LS7) used an E38 ECM with OS 12656198. The same E38 and the same OS was used by both L99 and LS3 Camaros in 2014. The LS3 was mated to a TR6060 manual transmission - just like your LS7. The L99 was mated to the 6L80 automatic transmission - so this tune is the resource that you will need to make things work. For Camaros, 2014 was the first year that the 6L80 and 6L90 TCMs used the same OS - so you are fortunate that this conversion project is a 2014 model.

Where do you go from here ...

I would suggest that you follow Joecar's advice from post #2. Obtain an E38 tune from a 2014 Camaro with the L99 engine - then copy over the relevant parameters from your LS7 tune into the L99 tune. This will not be perfect, but it should get you going such that you could then dyno tune the airflow models (MAF & VVE).

Another option is to swap in the relevant segments from the L99 tune into the LS7 tune - but this is not recommended for most tuners. There are several tables and parameters that would need to be adjusted after the segment swaps - which are not available in any tuning software.

That sentence should be a sticky on every forum about tuning. Tuning swaps is almost an art in itself and the newer the components the harder it gets. I tune a hundred plus swaps a year and this one would definitely rank up there on how hard it would be to make it work like factory. A lot involved in it for sure.

Ok, I stickied this thead