Thread: DBW - DBC conversion 08 VE Commodore (E38 ECU)

Default DBW - DBC conversion 08 VE Commodore (E38 ECU)

Hi all,

Don't know if its been done before, but I am after information on if it is possible to swap from DBW - DBC in a VE commodore (E38 ECU), I am currently running a 4bbl 1600cfm throttle body via the DBW motor, but need to change intake due to air restriction and it would be easier to go DBC than stay DBW and finding a new way to mount the DBW motor.

Thanks in advance for the information

Can't be done sorry, there is no idle stepper motor control in the E38 software.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Thanks GMPX,

I thought so, but was hoping that someone had succeeded in doing it, looks like I continue with the DBW and find a new way to mount it with the change of intake.

Cheers

Lifetime Member

How about using the DBC TB and a remote DBW Motor to actuate it like they do with some ITB Conversions?

Hi IJ,

That's what I'm doing at the moment, but changing intakes to the Holley hi ram limits where I can mount it, I made custom housing, linkages and linkage arms to mount on the GM single plane but as its only 4150 and I'm running a 1600cfm 4500 flange TB, it's got a funnel and choke point into the intake.

Lifetime Member

Sorry Dazz I meant run a Cable from the TB down to the DBW Motor mounted low in the engine bay.

Hi IJ,

I'm running the DBW with custom linkage arm and an adjustable linkage to the DBC 4bbl, works quite well, just have to find an intake that will allow better airflow than the GM 4150 single plane.

Geez thats an interesting concept Dazz and IJ, Ive seen an aftermarket big cube twin throttle body "Hollywood" carbon fibre manifold that ran twin DBW throtts.... and thought pity this cant be done using E38.... I didnt think of remote mounting the DBW part, say under dash, and then operate cable to twin or triple throttles like my LS1 with Holley Hi Ram... this would then mean making the 6L80 more viable as well.
    What kind of load can the DBW pull.
    Have either of you done this successfully yet
    I would love to see a photo of setup

Hi gmpx / guys could you tps in to e38 and run a cable i understand the e38 has no drivers for a stepper motor but ie if its a race car etc wouldn't be a big issue ?

If you wanted no idle control at all then it might work, but I don't know that the E38 would really accept there is no throttle connected. You would still need to feed in the throttle sensor set up from an ETC engine, you can't get away from that.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.