Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cummins regeneration issue

Default Cummins regeneration issue

I'm new to EFILive and have only just purchased autocal from ATP. I have successfully installed my csp5 and tuning, using the autocal. My purpous for installing EFILive was not to increase power, but I was hoping the EFILive would rewrite my ECM programing eliminating a glitch when the ECM goes into regen. Also, if it didn't get rid of the glitch then I could data log trying to find it. Also I would like to add, I hate using windows, so it complicates things. I'm asking for help setting up my windows laptop to record on the fly, any input is welcome. I need to zero in on any PID that will change when in regen.

Thanks
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by RVTRKN View Post
    I'm new to EFILive and have only just purchased autocal from ATP. I have successfully installed my csp5 and tuning, using the autocal. My purpous for installing EFILive was not to increase power, but I was hoping the EFILive would rewrite my ECM programing eliminating a glitch when the ECM goes into regen. Also, if it didn't get rid of the glitch then I could data log trying to find it. Also I would like to add, I hate using windows, so it complicates things. I'm asking for help setting up my windows laptop to record on the fly, any input is welcome. I need to zero in on any PID that will change when in regen.

Thanks
    Steve
    What glitch are you describing?
    -Kory

I'm out of ideas? Nah trick... When in doubt, 0xFFFF it out!

http://www.PPEI.com/

After a OEM update on the ECM by the dealership in 2009, it started to seem like the throttle was sticking, so the TPS was replaced under warranty. At intermittently periods of time the Exhaust Brake would engage when stopping at a traffic light, then as I would accelerate to leave, the engine would die for a split second then startup on its own and would cause a hard bang on my drive line. It did this very same scenario, but while shifting between 4th & 5th gear, to the point I started to look for the spot to pull over at. I took it immediately to the dealership, and we took it on a test drive with their computer hooked up and it did the surging and stalling as described. It turned out to be in regen, and every available update since then was performed, which mostly eliminated the stalling but it still surges under throttle.

So this is the pattern when in regen, under 2000 RPM I have no power while accerating, then when I hit the magic number (2000 RPM) it takes off like a bat out of hell and I can't get it to stop. If I engage the clutch, the RPM's race up to the limiter (3100 RPM) for what seems like an eternity, but is for @ second of time. If I just let off the throttle it still wants to take off on its own. This took out my clutch out on a 4% grade when accelerating, but at 23K GCW.

I have resorted to EFILive in the hopes it will help. Now that I have driven more miles with EFILive, it did go into regen and it still surged, BUT when I let off of the throttle, it responded properly, so time will tell. I still would like it not to surge under throttle even if the sticking throttle sensation is gone, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

After a OEM update on the ECM by the dealership in 2009, it started to seem like the throttle was sticking
    Steve, Dodge release a lot of ECM updates for these trucks, even 2009 trucks still get updates to this day, there may even be one to fix the issue you are describing (unfortunately they never say what the updates are for).
    If the problem is with the factory tune then unfortunately putting CSP5 over the top of that bad calibration probably won't fix it. However ATP may have already provided you with a tune with the latest updates from the factory which is why you might have seen some change.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

All available updates, up to current, verified with Witech software through a factory Rep's personal laptop last May. It may be that there was a recent update, but EFILive seems for now, has cured the worse part of the glitch. However I want to cure it completely, and the data recording may pinpoint the culprit.

Thanks
    Steve

You need to let it breathe.

What PID's should I target, the Factory rep was concerned with the VGT. He talked about actual VGT position vrs the commanded (lack of better words) position. And the reason for this thread, how do I set up the EFILive to see these PID's in windows, what are the names. I plan on contacting ATP for support, if there willing to set that up for me and then I could download that and record it during the regen period.

Thanks
    Steve
    Last edited by RVTRKN; December 30th, 2015 at 05:27 AM.

You need to monitor your commanded fuel rate, desired and actual rail pressure.

Your issue will not be resolved by EFILive. Tuning can not fix a broken truck. You have an issue with either a sensor a hard part. Any surging issues usually point to a failing Fuel Pressure Regulator or a Rail Pressure Sensor.

BTW, now that I've talked about the Factory rep, he validated my concern that it was not normal to have the glitch I was experiencing. He stated that there was never an update that would cause it, which would make me think there'll never be an update to eliminate it.

BTW, now that I've talked about the Factory rep, he validated my concern that it was not normal to have the glitch I was experiencing. He stated that there was never an update that would cause it, which would make me think there'll never be an update to eliminate it.
    But it only occurs during regen, and it happens just about every tank of fuel. (50gal)

What are the PID's called that I need to record?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast