Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
Phillips/NXP AU5780A is what you're referring to. I think they might be available on Alibaba as chinese knockoffs/leftovers, but I havent been able to find a legit source for "real" ones yet.
Not quite what you want to put in to a commercial product

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
The good news is you can effectively do the same thing as the AU5780A chip with resistors, transistors, diodes, and a +8v linear regulator. Its just annoying because it makes your circuit much bigger and more complicated. And then you have to add your own external EMC/transient protection as well.
Yes it isn't the end of the world, but going from a nice 8 pin chip to a handful of parts to do something similar is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Chavez91 View Post
Looks like the ELM only supports 8bytes for transmitting. Doesn't support block mode transmits or 4x. Not sure if that could pose a problem. Not sure if the STN1110 or 1170 do either? I read that they have the 4x capability but wasn't implemented in the firmware? Do you know that answer Ben?
Block mode and 4x mode are only used for reflashing situations, if you just want to send simple messages on the bus then they aren't needed.