Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: will the V2 work as a J2534 Pass Through to allow acdelcotds.com CAN bus programming?

Default will the V2 work as a J2534 Pass Through to allow acdelcotds.com CAN bus programming?

Before I go an buy the ACDelcotds.com subscription...does anyone know if the EFILive V2 will act as the Pass Through interface for the laptop-web based GM programming update service? The software is Tech II emulator.

I'm assuming I can update my truck's HMI or Radio via the CAN bus and the Tech II emulator software, but I need a J2534 compliant pass through device.

I'm simply trying to add backup camera programming for a 2015 Silverado with IO4 (and no backup camera).

Or better yet, can EFILive tuning software make changes to body modules and radio and or HMI modules?

Thanks, Karl Ellwein
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    95 impala SS running on an old Speed Pro PCM (Budget 355 LT1)
    Customer cars:
    96 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Stock LT1 PCM
    96 impala SS, LT1-399ci, 4L60E, BP Harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components
    95 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Re-Pinned stock harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components

Hi Karl,

No, it will not.

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Hi Karl,

No, it will not.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Lifetime Member

Hello Karl,

As a caveat, I primarily work with Hot Rods or custom vehicles. From time to time I will work with an OEM vehicle (usually as a courtesy to a long-term customer) that requires a programming update of some sort from GM. I have done wheel / tire upgrades, radio/nav/connectivity systems, cruise control, etc.

If whatever you wish to do comes as a kit from Chevrolet Accessories (and you purchase this kit), you will have fewer issues with getting GM to update the programming.

As an example, I have added cruise control to a Chev Cruze on several occasions. The "kit" from Chevrolet Accessories comes with an authorization number to have the programming updated (BCM and IPC programming need to be updated). If you have an authorization number, the process if reasonably straight forward. If you don't have an authorization number, it can be a real pain, and will depend greatly on the knowledge of the person who answers the phone when you call to get the programming updated.

GM dealers can call the GM Techline directly. If you use ACDelco TDS, then you must call ACDelco customer service for programming updates, who will put you on hold while they in turn call the GM Techline.

I have never done a rearview camera upgrade on a new pickup using GM components, so I don't know how difficult this may be, or what potential issues may arise.

It may end up being easier to install a rear view camera kit from the aftermarket (like Rostra).

Best regards,
    Taz

The general public can't call GM Techline right? Nor get their TIS subscription via that? I've wondered if the dealers are subjected to the same level of restrictions that TDS customers are.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Lifetime Member

Hello Ross,

The answers seem to depend on where you are located, and who you know.

In the USA, I believe GM dealers still do their own programming - and therefore have a GM SPS account. In Canada (at least in Ontario anyway) GM dealers no longer do their own programming - this function has been contracted to another business entity.

Non-GM businesses must deal with ACDelco (at least here anyway) for programming services and subscriptions.

If you have access to a GM SPS account (login) there is NO restriction on programming - you can still bench program anything and everything. If you have an ACDelco TDS account (login) then programming restrictions are active.

If you call the GM Techline they will immediate ask for your account - if you have an ACDelco account, you will be referred to the ACDelco customer service line. When you call the ACDelco customer service line to get programming updates applied, you will be on hold for a bit while they then call the GM Techline to get the programming changes activated.

Cheers,
    Taz

I live in Ontario Canada and work at a GM dealer. I replace and program all my own modules. The modules come blank and must have the vin programmed into them. And when I add an accessory like cruise control or remote start we have to call tech line as well, and give them an authorization code.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post

If you have access to a GM SPS account (login) there is NO restriction on programming - you can still bench program anything and everything. If you have an ACDelco TDS account (login) then programming restrictions are active.

Cheers,
    Taz
    What kind of programming restrictions does ACDelco have vs SPS?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gmcdenali View Post
    I live in Ontario Canada and work at a GM dealer. I replace and program all my own modules. The modules come blank and must have the vin programmed into them. And when I add an accessory like cruise control or remote start we have to call tech line as well, and give them an authorization code.
    Nice to know that some dealerships in Ontario have maintained in house expertise. Many use York Electric for programming work.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Road View Post
    What kind of programming restrictions does ACDelco have vs SPS?
    As of January 2015, ACDelco TDS will not allow offboard programming of 2010+ modules. Kind of funny when you think about it - GM use to market an offboard programming adapter.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast