Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: will the V2 work as a J2534 Pass Through to allow acdelcotds.com CAN bus programming?

FWIW, when I added the backup camera to my 2010 CTS, I just got a 3 day subscription and reprogrammed the radio, selecting the calibration that included the backup camera. Easy as pie. The camera was not an option in 2010, but the same radio was used until 2013, so the programming is available.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    ......snip........You are right, plenty of cheapish options on the market and it isn't as easy as you might think. Pretty sure it is some sort of scripting type language that is used, I don't think we'd have room left in the V2 flash to implement it.
    Thanks for at least considering making V2 available as a J2534 pass through...and editor of CAN controllers. Editing of the HMI and radio and dash display would add a new market of customers for me and for you. No need to go to GM for the updates and the ability to give customers custom logos on their radio display and or custom parameters on the dash and other things like window roll up from key fob etc.

There is one company that sends a small dongle that plugs into the ALDL and auto tunes the CAN HMI or Radio module (as if the factory was doing it). It is fascinating!
    https://youtu.be/5hDvOjPOAkM (at the end of the video)

No work-around. Elegant plug and play and Factory fresh.

Maybe one day EFILive can add select or limited CAN module editing?
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    95 impala SS running on an old Speed Pro PCM (Budget 355 LT1)
    Customer cars:
    96 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Stock LT1 PCM
    96 impala SS, LT1-399ci, 4L60E, BP Harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components
    95 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Re-Pinned stock harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    FWIW, when I added the backup camera to my 2010 CTS, I just got a 3 day subscription and reprogrammed the radio, selecting the calibration that included the backup camera. Easy as pie. The camera was not an option in 2010, but the same radio was used until 2013, so the programming is available.
    Cougar281 thanks for that info. Please tell me...what passthru device did you use (Tech2?) and how did you select the programming? Did you insert a 2013 CTS VIN in the lookup?
    I am contemplating going this route but I need to buy a J2534 passthru and then the $55 3 day subscription.
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    Customer cars:
    96 impala SS, LT1-399ci, 4L60E, BP Harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components
    95 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Re-Pinned stock harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components

Quote Originally Posted by Ellwein Engines View Post
    Maybe one day EFILive can add select or limited CAN module editing?
    Ahhh no, isn't going to happen.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Cougar281 thanks for that info. Please tell me...what passthru device did you use (Tech2?) and how did you select the programming? Did you insert a 2013 CTS VIN in the lookup?
    I am contemplating going this route but I need to buy a J2534 passthru and then the $55 3 day subscription.
    I used my Tech2 w/CANDi module and no, didn't have to use a different VIN. I just selected the radio for reprogramming and when it asked what calibration to flash, I told it the one with the camera. I'm not sure of the current address, but calid.GM.com used to allow you to enter your VIN and see what calibrations are options for the modules under your VIN.

It was similar when I reprogrammed the original headunit in my truck from 'premium' to LUX for the LUX amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar281 View Post
    I used my Tech2 w/CANDi module and no, didn't have to use a different VIN. I just selected the radio for reprogramming and when it asked what calibration to flash, I told it the one with the camera. I'm not sure of the current address, but calid.GM.com used to allow you to enter your VIN and see what calibrations are options for the modules under your VIN.

It was similar when I reprogrammed the original headunit in my truck from 'premium' to LUX for the LUX amplifier.
    Thank you very much for that info. It validates what I was thinking. I did look up the latest calibrations and options at www.calid.gm.com and my VIN does have radio and backup camera tune and HMI and backup camera tune. Very helpful info sir. thanks. Karl
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    Customer cars:

not exactly EFILive related but here is the info (if anyone is interested) as to how to have the GM programming available for your vehicle to do things like activate the back up camera, (if it was not originally equipped).
    As someone mentioned in this thread, you basically call ACDelcoTDS and ask for authorization. They put you on hold and they talk to GM. Then even though the backup camera was not purchased as part of an official GM accessories package they still make the HMI module reporgamming available. The AC Delco guy on the phone said it would cost an additional $50 (as well as the SPS subscription). The SPS programming was quick and easy. I selected the HMI programming and it flashed the HMI in about 5 seconds. So apparently they authorized my account to have that programming. Otherwise it would not work as I tried to do this last week and it only recognized that my HMI was up-to-date and it would not program it.
    Karl Ellwein
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    Customer cars:

Lifetime Member

My apologies ... when I described the process earlier in this thread, I neglected to mention that unless you have a programming authorization code (which is included with some Chevrolet Accessories kits), there is a $50 fee to update / release the programming.

Nicely done ...

not exactly EFILive related but here is the info (if anyone is interested) as to how to have the GM programming available for your vehicle to do things like activate the back up camera, (if it was not originally equipped).
    As someone mentioned in this thread, you basically call ACDelcoTDS and ask for authorization. They put you on hold and they talk to GM. Then even though the backup camera was not purchased as part of an official GM accessories package they still make the HMI module reporgamming available. The AC Delco guy on the phone said it would cost an additional $50 (as well as the SPS subscription). The SPS programming was quick and easy. I selected the HMI programming and it flashed the HMI in about 5 seconds. So apparently they authorized my account to have that programming. Otherwise it would not work as I tried to do this last week and it only recognized that my HMI was up-to-date and it would not program it.
    Karl Ellwein
    Thanks, good to know.

Is this a one-time deal (i.e. do you have to do this each time you want to flash a unit...?)...?

Thanks Taz and joecar, Taz...very much thanks for your advise. joecar, it was a one time deal and it seems that if I were to do this again for another car they would require me to get permission again.
    I'm glad it worked though. It was quick and easy after having permission.

karl
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    Customer cars:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123