Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: will the V2 work as a J2534 Pass Through to allow acdelcotds.com CAN bus programming?

We order radios and on star modules and clusters from york. But we program them when they get here. Any electronic upgrades that a customer wants such as nav, or backup camera they will come down and change parts and program for us.

Lifetime Member

I have a great relationship with my local GM dealer - and always try and purchase GM parts from them, rather than importing these. The dollar was trading at 68 cents US today - making purchasing locally that much more important to managing costs. I have no use for York Electric.

Quote Originally Posted by Gmcdenali View Post
    I live in Ontario Canada and work at a GM dealer. I replace and program all my own modules. The modules come blank and must have the vin programmed into them. And when I add an accessory like cruise control or remote start we have to call tech line as well, and give them an authorization code.
    GMCDenali, have you added backup cameras to customer truck/cars? (such as in my case where I have a 2015 Silverado LT with 4.5" screen and no camera and desire to add a backup camera) . I'm just wondering if so, then do you simply update the radio module with programming for a VIN that came with the camera or is the programming available using my VIN?

EFILive subject mater related to this...I think it would be awesome if the EFILive V2 could work as a pass through J2534 device too which would allow me to subscribe to the AC Delco tech line and upgrade customers to remote start and back up cameras and such.
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    95 impala SS running on an old Speed Pro PCM (Budget 355 LT1)
    Customer cars:
    96 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Stock LT1 PCM
    96 impala SS, LT1-399ci, 4L60E, BP Harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components
    95 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Re-Pinned stock harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ellwein Engines View Post
    GMCDenali, have you added backup cameras to customer truck/cars? (such as in my case where I have a 2015 Silverado LT with 4.5" screen and no camera and desire to add a backup camera).
    From the posts between Gmcdenali and myself, I came to understand that "add ons" to vehicles were done by York Electric, while maintenance (and programming) of existing components were done by GM Technicians.

I'm just wondering if so, then do you simply update the radio module with programming for a VIN that came with the camera or is the programming available using my VIN?
    In an OEM vehicle, using SPS, you can only program with the VIN for that vehicle. GM would have to update the vehicle's programming (based on the VIN) to activate the desired features. This is where an authorization code from a GM kit will expedite getting the vehicle's programming updated.

Hi Taz, thanks for the reply and info.
    Just pulling this thread a little further, I see that from the GM Tech line and using my VIN there is HMI and Radio software for backup camera, (even though the factory did not install it). So the "CVN" is 0001EB5 and part number is 23159645 (for example). I am now assuming if my dealer flashed that CVN or part number then that would tell my radio or HMI to toggle to the video input during shifter in reverse signal.

EFILive guys...have you thought of expanding to get into the various control modules such as the HMI so that we can custom tune them, (put our company logo on the Radio video screen for example)? (and turning on camera input functions or navigation).
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    Customer cars:
    96 impala SS, LT1-399ci, 4L60E, BP Harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components
    95 impala SS, LT1-395ci, 4L60E, Re-Pinned stock harness to 0411 PCM and 24x EFI Connection components

Lifetime Member

... I see that from the GM Tech line and using my VIN there is HMI and Radio software for backup camera, (even though the factory did not install it)...
    The GM Techline is a telephone number, that connects you to a service representative. I think you are referring to the VIN / CVN database from the TIS2WEB service website.

However the vehicle is currently programmed, is the only way that a GM dealer can program it. There is often optional programming available, but this requires the staff at the GM Techline to update or "release" this programming.

Not all hardware "updates" require a programming change. The rearview camera may or may not require a programming change - have never done one.

It is highly doubtful the EFILive will ever offer a J2534 pass through device - there are many of these already on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    The GM Techline is a telephone number, that connects you to a service representative. I think you are referring to the VIN / CVN database from the TIS2WEB service website.
    Taz: I stand corrected. I am referring to the TIS2WEB service VIN / CVN database....not the GM Techline.

Let me ask another non-EFILIVE related question. If there are not any optional upgrade equipment software/firmware programming available via GM dealer then how do the aftermarket companies upgrade? That is basically what I want to do...change programming in my 2015 Silverado HMI and Radio.
    www.EllweinEngines.com
    Personal cars:
    Customer cars:

Lifetime Member

Aftermarket companies find "work-around" solutions regarding late model vehicles. Take a look at the Rostra website. For late model GM Trucks they offer an OEM looking backup camera system. The camera is in the tailgate release handle, and they replace the OEM windshield mounted rearview mirror with one that displays the input from the camera. They also offer a cruise control system that inserts in-line with the APP (gas pedal) - I would never use one of these - but that was their work-around.
    Last edited by Taz; January 16th, 2016 at 05:55 AM.

As of January 2015, ACDelco TDS will not allow offboard programming of 2010+ modules. Kind of funny when you think about it - GM use to market an offboard programming adapter.
    Yes that and on anything outside of the USA they have a lot of checks before it can be programmed. Eg, you can't return a Holden to stock, it will not allow a write if the segment numbers match up to what it is about to download. Makes me wonder how Holden dealers do this? Korean and Opel cars forget it, they all need TIS approval numbers.....how does a non GM dealer get that? Crazy stuff.

While I'm complaining about TIS, the service area is rubbish too. GM have really dropped the ball on this. We also subscribe to Chrysler/Dodge Tech Authority, the service data area on that website is amazing, blows GM out of the water with the best wiring diagrams and layout I've ever seen.

It is highly doubtful the EFILive will ever offer a J2534 pass through device - there are many of these already on the market.
    You are right, plenty of cheapish options on the market and it isn't as easy as you might think. Pretty sure it is some sort of scripting type language that is used, I don't think we'd have room left in the V2 flash to implement it.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

As of January 2015, ACDelco TDS will not allow offboard programming of 2010+ modules. Kind of funny when you think about it - GM use to market an offboard programming adapter.
    I don't know ant dealers that are bench flashing anymore. Should be the other way around but I am guessing GM is keeping programming out of the parts supplier's hand by doing this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast