Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: stabilitrak

Also, check you front hub assemblies. To do this, you'll need to pull off the tires and use a pry bar to loosen the brake pads from the rotors and have a 1/4 inch clearance if possible. Install your tires and try wiggling your tires up and down slowly with your hands on the front side of the tires, one hand at the 12 and the other at the 6. If you feel movement, those are worn, buy Timken replacements and that may be the cure to your problems. A skip in the pulse to the ABS module may not be enough to trigger a fault code, but can trigger the Stabilitrac.
    Mine2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, D/A. 4in MBRP exhaust, AFE Stage II w/Amsoil Ea air filter, ISSPRO boost/Pyro guages, PPE Boost Valve, EFI Live V2, Maximum OD Stage 2 Trans, Amsoil throughout, AirDog150, modded intake horn.

540HP/1056TQ
    Dyno'd Danville Performance
    April 5th 2011

Hers: 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali, Flowmaster 40 with a bullet style resonator in the back, EFI Live with the help of JoeCar and other great members here.

Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post
    Joecar, I am a slow typer so our posts overlapped. I am sorry that I take your post as a insult/blow-off and I hope thing go well for your father-in-law anytime a family member is hospitalised it is a strain on the whole family. my prayers will be with you and your family
    Thanks for the kind words.

I'm an engineer in my day job, so my writing can appear terse and pointed sometimes... but I can assure you I'm not very emotional (my wife comains about it)...

EFILive have their hands full with each new model year's ECM and TCM calibrations for a variety of vehicles... and considering not all ABS modules do Stabiltrac, you can see that even attempting to reverse engineer the many ABS controllers can be exponentially daunting.

The scantool can read trouble codes from some of the ABS modules, but I think that this is not sufficient for your troubleshooting needs, the IPC ond othe modules are also involved.

Also, ABS and/or Stabiltrac is a high liability topic, and while you and I would refrain from suing in case of misadventure, there are many who would not.

Quote Originally Posted by horsehaulin View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but Stabilitrac only comes on if the vehicle is in "Auto 4WD"? If so, make sure you are in 2WD and you should be golden.
    From what I have dug up stabilitrac functions in all modes. Most of what I have found online is complaints while in 4WD in an off-road situation (climbing a rough terain hill) with the stibilitrac turned off, when the vehical gets tossed around the stbilitrac coms back on even though it was turn off to accomplish the climb. I am not sure what all happens but, in vidieos it seems like the vehical goes into a limp mode of sorts and the climb is not possible (and in the vidieo it doesn't look like much of a hill)

from what I have read, stabilitrac was designed to prevent rollovers. it applies the brakes on individual wheel in a severe swaying/swerving situation plus in my situation it also seemed to de-fuel. while this is most likely agervating in an off road sitiation, it is a completely nerve racking experience when it happens while driving in s straight line at 70 mph in traffic.

Joecar, I know I have gotten codes from other modules and a DTC code would more than likely help my needs as I might be able to find and fix the problem to return my system back to the way the factory intended it to work. my post may have sounded like I wanted control over this system but I must first be concerened about my needs (properly functioning stabilitrac) over what I may want (full control over stbilitrac) and to look on a positive, I have learned that if I do get myself (or the friends and family who call while) in a bad off-road situation, although agervating I can get out pull a fuse and get through what is needed.
    as far as what I meant in hoping EFIlive might tackle this problem. I can not even guess what it would take to fill their shoe. as much as I love stuff like EFIlive I am still mostly a enduser and altough I am tring to understand how or what it takes to grasp control and reprogram even a simple program, I am still overwhelmed by what I can do with the software I do have, EFIlive and others. but, I do know if no one ask or shows a need for any product, no company will invest in a solution.

After reading what I posted as a "more professional response" a few more times and trying to see how it could be considered uncaring. with the proper punctuation and some emotions I can see it either way, and without emotions the internet is a bad place for my bad punctuations

P.S. I would like you to understand, I do realise the strain that family medical problems can put on the whole family no matter the severity. and multitasking in these situations can and does help. You and your family have my best wishes

Thank you

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by HLS View Post
    ... as far as what I meant in hoping EFIlive might tackle this problem ... I do know if no one ask or shows a need for any product, no company will invest in a solution ...
    That comment is an example of not taking the time to familiarize yourself with the Tuning Software marketplace. Your question has already been asked and answered a hundred different ways, on multiple forums. All of the mainstream tuning software companies solely support modules that control the engine or the transmission (or both in older platforms), and have no plans to expand this support to any other module.

The membership of this Forum are not paid employees of EFILive - we all volunteer our time and expertise to help others learn how to use the EFILive software, for altruistic reasons. Many of us work long hours, and have very little free time. When someone has made an honest effort to problem solve and self-educate, yet still require help, they will always receive help - typically from many different Forum members - as has occurred for you in this thread.

When someone has done very little, or nothing at all, to help themselves - then posts of this nature will often go completely unanswered. Had Joecar not acknowledge your thread, it is highly likely that no one else would have either. Seeing a post in a thread by Joecar is often enough to motivate other Forum members to jump in and help.

I have never met Joecar, we live in different countries separated by thousands of miles - but I greatly admire his sense of morality, decorum, and kindness.

Also, check you front hub assemblies. To do this, you'll need to pull off the tires and use a pry bar to loosen the brake pads from the rotors and have a 1/4 inch clearance if possible. Install your tires and try wiggling your tires up and down slowly with your hands on the front side of the tires, one hand at the 12 and the other at the 6. If you feel movement, those are worn, buy Timken replacements and that may be the cure to your problems. A skip in the pulse to the ABS module may not be enough to trigger a fault code, but can trigger the Stabilitrac.
    New Timkens were just installed at the same time differential (after the first insodent) was inspected. had just purchased them prior to the first insodent. one of them had a slight amount of freeplay so it got both plus I had new tires installed between the two occurrences. but, it is worth a double check. it wouldn't be the first new part failure I've had

Thanks

Thanks, I appreciate that, that means alot to me.

Group HUG!
    2005 1500 HD , Custom OS3 SD tune .
    2006 Trailblazer
    Dinosaurs and Plants gave their lives so that we may drive , long live fossil fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    Thanks for the kind words.

I'm an engineer in my day job, so my writing can appear terse and pointed sometimes... but I can assure you I'm not very emotional (my wife comains about it)...

EFILive have their hands full with each new model year's ECM and TCM calibrations for a variety of vehicles... and considering not all ABS modules do Stabiltrac, you can see that even attempting to reverse engineer the many ABS controllers can be exponentially daunting.

The scantool can read trouble codes from some of the ABS modules, but I think that this is not sufficient for your troubleshooting needs, the IPC ond othe modules are also involved.

Also, ABS and/or Stabiltrac is a high liability topic, and while you and I would refrain from suing in case of misadventure, there are many who would not.
    sorry, I didn't see there was a second page. I guess I am bit of an optimist. I feel as long as there are Guys (and Gals) Taking vehicals off roading somebody will answer the demands. I am not saying it will happen but, we know people are taking these things off-road.

It seems as if I have made an enemy of one of the forum members here. So, I would also like to asure you I didn't just have the problem yesterday and jion to start trouble because I was having a problem. My first occurrence was a couple months ago. it took me a couple weeks and the second occurrence to figure out it was the stabilitrac. pulling the fuse was buying me some time which I was using to search for a solution. my desperation came when I hooked up to the trailer and found the factory trailer brakes do not function without the fuse I had removed to dissable the stabilitrac. let me assure you I do have many hours of searching, I have owned EFIlive for a few years now, I spent many hours on this forum and many others before and after my purchase. this is the first problem (controle module related) I have not been able to find a solution by doing the rutine searches. I am a member on a very few forums, maybe do to my poor typing skills, I am not sure but, I am content with sitting in the background searching for my solutions and sometimes just reading what others have done or just have to say, I am just not sure because if you were to ask anyone who knows me, they would tell you if we all were to meet face to face that I would be talking from start to stop of the meeting. I have only joined forum boards for two reasons. if I can help someone who seems to be having a problem simular to one I have solved for myself or as in this case when I have searched until my eyes are bugging out of my head for to many knights in a row. it is easy to say the question has been answered many times and I have had problems myself looking for threads I know exist so I could post a link for someone who is asking a simular question. I may have just registered yesterday but I have been here for many years. my guess would be at least 3 maybe 4 or 5years.......well scratch that I just went back to my saved emails and found the one in which Andrew Jensen replied to my question about reading other modules which was dated 11/8/09 and I had already found solutions on this site and was the main reason I was tring to justify buying the flash scan tool for myself. bottom line, I myself couldn't say how many hours I have into this problem

Thanks

I am willing to bet you have a problem in your speed sensors that are causing this issue. The most common issue in our trucks that cause that are the hub assemblies, but if you replaced that already, then your problem may be in the rear sensors. A common cause for failures back there are typically they rotors rusting and the ring not reading against the sensor properly.

Are all the tires the same size, bought at the same time and same brand? Although tires may be the same size, a different brand and even the same brand but another model can be off size by as much as an inch! That could be another cause. I'm almost certain you have a hard part issue. If it's ok with staff here, I could recommend another site that focuses on Gm trucks only.
    Mine2001 GMC 2500HD EC/LB, D/A. 4in MBRP exhaust, AFE Stage II w/Amsoil Ea air filter, ISSPRO boost/Pyro guages, PPE Boost Valve, EFI Live V2, Maximum OD Stage 2 Trans, Amsoil throughout, AirDog150, modded intake horn.

540HP/1056TQ
    Dyno'd Danville Performance
    April 5th 2011

Hers: 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali, Flowmaster 40 with a bullet style resonator in the back, EFI Live with the help of JoeCar and other great members here.

I am willing to bet you have a problem in your speed sensors that are causing this issue. The most common issue in our trucks that cause that are the hub assemblies, but if you replaced that already, then your problem may be in the rear sensors. A common cause for failures back there are typically they rotors rusting and the ring not reading against the sensor properly.

Are all the tires the same size, bought at the same time and same brand? Although tires may be the same size, a different brand and even the same brand but another model can be off size by as much as an inch! That could be another cause. I'm almost certain you have a hard part issue. If it's ok with staff here, I could recommend another site that focuses on Gm trucks only.
    I have not checked rear sensors. as soon as I get my other truck off of the hoist I will bring this one back in and check and clean the rears and double check the fronts. I'm not sure but I believe my other truck (05) only has rear sensor in transfer case. can't seem to remember whats on the rears of the 09 even though I did the rear seals and brakes a couple years ago. All tires were bought and installed at the same time and I did doulbe check all tires because when I ordered them I specified load range E and got "C"s. so I double checked everything when I returned to get the correct tires. may even run a tape around them. I know the rear were worn more than the frounts, that may account for the first incodent but, new tires were installed before second.

I have been digging around on a couple gm truck sites but all I seem to come up with is people who are having trouble off roading and most seem to not even know you have to hold the traction control button in for about 6 sec. or until the DIC says it is off. there are a number of vidieos that prove the traction control will activate even when turned off and as far as I know there is no help for that problem either. I would call theirs a design flaw. mine I believe is like you stated a part failure and on early EFI vehicals I have found that most times when you have a problem and no fault code the ECM is useally the problem nowadays I'm not so sure, but I am already thinking about replacing the ABS module, its just that I'm not one to just start throwing parts at it and hope I get lucky. I kinda like to understand how it works

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast