Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: stabilitrak

Been a while but thought i would update. Been running with ABS fuses pulled and will probubly put them back in as soon as the weather doesn't look like possible sno or ice. While searching for a way to test the steering wheel position sensor led me to do searches under "electronic stability assist" which for some reason brought up more than just searching under stabilatrac, But still no answers. Also my son took it to the dealer which found nothing. I'm wondering if it just thinks it was an incedent and thinks it functioned properly? anyone know if it does data logging and should have logged the incedent?

My plan was to plug it back in and if I have another incedent, I'll replace the ABS controller. now that I typed this I,m wondering if I'll have to have the dealer program this to the truck?

The main reason I was in such a painc over this was because of our snowmobiling plans which we use this truck for and the trailer brakes will not work with the abs fuses pulled.

I did have to replace the trailer brake controller (the part over the rear axil) a couple years ago because it would intermittently stop working and the new part gave more problems than the old one until we took it to the dealer and they did some sort of reprograming (the reason why i think i might need to do the same for the abs controller), I also wonder if trailer brake controler may be some part of the problem?

This may not apply to the trucks, but on my Corvette, I had the "Active Handling" light come on and it threw the C1286 code. I had the alignment set for autocrossing, was going to take a long trip and rest the alignment to stock. Finally had the vette realigned to the autocross settings. During this time the steering wheel got out of phase and threw the code and also messed up the ABS/AH on the car. I would changes lanes and it would shut off Cruise, activate the ABS and throw a code. Unloosened the front suspension and using a VOM reset the steering wheel position sensor and have not had any trouble in several years. Have you checked for any C codes after those incidences.

I am not getting any codes. but I could see how that could cause havik and I have replaced tie rods and took it in for alinement.

Well, its been almost a year so, I am sorry it took so long for an update. As I stated I was not getting any codes but the stabillatrac seemed to kick in with no cause which created a cause, I guess.

After Gordy M's post I bought a steering wheel position sensor. I'm not sure when I finally installed it but, it has been on for a while now and since install there has been no incedents.

I feel the problem is solved, but, if it does reapear, I will update

Thanks for all the help
    Harold

Harold,

Thanks for posting back.

( I corrected the spelling in the thread title to let searches find it )

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    ( I corrected the spelling in the thread title to let searches find it )
    Technically, GM does spell it/refer to it as StabilitraK (with a K).
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    Technically, GM does spell it/refer to it as StabilitraK (with a K).
    You're right, I'll fix that (and the missing i).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234