Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Speedo correction issues E38/T43

Here are the tunes
    Ive attached the originals as well so you can compare
    Ive done minimum mods yet as it runs pretty well as it is, and also I cant put on the dyno yet without having TUTD connected
    Im hoping to get this done later today
    Original T43 tune.ctzT43 tune_0003.ctzOriginal VF tune.ctzModified E38.ctz

Taz, the pim module is same as what they used on the gto models (both 5.7 & 6lt), for the local vt-vz range the dash (IPC) still used aldl comms (8192 baud) as i suspect due to holden wanting to keep the same body harness for the v6's which had the old comms stuff for the ecu still.

I think it's probably like the serial comms you guys get in the usa but old as hell. it's also used for the bcm/srs to talk to the dash & ls1 for check engine light/low oil pressure signals.

late vz models went to the e38 along with e40 (only in the hsv's and export gto's) so they used CAN but still had to talk back to the dash cluster in aldl. as such there is 2 types of pim's. 1 does ls1 serial? to aldl the other is can to aldl.

http://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=219

While the vt-vz dash clusters can have the rpm/tacho wired directly in from the ls1 ecu, you wont get coolant temp/oil pressure warnings and a bunch of other stuff. So for the sake of some additional wiring i've added bcm's & pims to both of my drag cars. it saves having to add additional sensors/gauges.

Hooter as for the tapshift, i've got one these but i havent used it as of yet.
    http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...px?ItemId=1050

Lifetime Member

Tre-Cool ... Thank you for the explanation - it sounds like Holden didn't do you gents any favours during the transition from OBD-1 to OBD-2 vehicles.

Hooter ... Thank you for posting the tunes ... what is the rear axle gear ratio and tire size (i.e. P235-75-15) in the conversion you are working on ? Once I get this information, I will post a new E38 tune for you to try - that hopefully fixes the Speedometer / VSS issue.

My Axle ratio is 3.45 and tyre size is 235/40x18
    Interestingly I changed my scantool over to read the T43 which is another (very frustrating) story in itself.... and the VSS speed there is correct, where in the E38 it reads approx 120% higher, but I have the actual speedo correct now.
    Also I put a 10k pullup resistor in the tacho input and that is now good, with the G1202 and 1203 both set at 8 .

Ive always had issues with my scan tool with E38 stuff, and often if I add certain PID's, I get really berserk data, usually with -40 CLT and -40 MAT, and to get it to read right i have to start the PID list and Dash page all over again from fresh.....
    Yesterday I kept getting an error report with $31 code, which I looked up and then selected Shift f2 and it fixed it, and it worked fine.... until I added more PIDs, so I selected Shift f2 again, and noticed it actually removes all the selected PIDs from the PID list, so now I have a situation where I cant unselect PIDs in any of my PID lists, as they have all disappeared including my LS1 lists...
    Am I missing something???

Lifetime Member

Attached is the modified E38 tune that you posted, with the Speedometer portion adjusted for your gear ratio and tire size. It should be close (usually within 5% of GPS speed). Use the Speedo Calculator to fine tune the speed - by adjusting the Tire diameter or Tire circumference as necessary.

I am using a newer version of the software (looks like you are using version 281), so you probably won't be able to open the tune that I posted. I also posted a PDF "how to" - so that you could do this for yourself.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that you should no longer need to use any type of Speedometer adapter / correction device.
    Last edited by Taz; February 1st, 2016 at 02:23 AM.

Thanks very much for that Taz, but although displayed vss on the scantool was close, the actual speedo was less than half the speed, similar to how I first began.
    Yes I did have the earlier version, so i risked an update, which thankfully all went well....
    The trouble Im having now is that I cant log any T43 PID's whatsoever as all are marked invalid.
    Ive posted this elsewhere here, and here is another screen shot... whats going on??Attachment 19218Attachment 19219

Lifetime Member

Sorry that tune didn’t work out … not really sure what is causing this issue … below are two more tunes to try. Be very cautious using the “Test 2” tune, as it could act unpredictably.

The goal of all of this is to avoid the use (and cost) of any type of Speedometer correction device in future conversions.

Please log SAE.VSS and E38.VSS_DMA (if it is available), and compare to GPS speed.

I have not reprogrammed a V2 in quite awhile. I recall having issues once with the Options.txt being empty - and this causing problems.

Thanks Taz, I tried your cals, but they resorted back to near correct ecm scantool speed reading, but actual speedo was less than half.
    With my H0105 set at 202, my actual speedo reads correct without a speedo corrector, but my e38 scantool speedo reads approx 100 kms faster.
    This isnt an issue so long as you have speed limiters set to max
    My T43 santool shows/showed transmission speed as being near correct also, so I am happy with the way i have it
    It would be good to have my e38 scantool reading correct, but it doesnt appear to be a big deal
    I have used the Excel shift point correction spreadsheets i found on here, where you copy and paste your shiftpoint tables in, and along with setting tyre circumference and diff gear ratio with Rev limit. You need to do this when you have changed diff ratio and or tyre size, as the recalculate speedo and shiftpoints aren't available with E38/T43 software (yet).
    The spreadsheet calculates along with each individual gear shift, the max speed (WOT) for each gear. For others reading this, its a very handy tool, as you enter these max speeds into the charts and then reshape both the normal upshift and downshift speeds to suit, and then copy and paste them back into EFI Live
    You also set your WOT shift points to these.
    I only wish I could get my Scantool to work, as all of my T43 PIDs have become unvalid, and some of my e38 and LS1 PIDs have as well, and Ive tried everything.
    Maybe my V2 has a problem.... although it flashes and retrieves fine.
    Anyone else experienced this??

Something I forgot to mention is, on our earlier VE Commodore models, up to approx 2013, there is no VSS output from pin 16 in the A6 transmission plug to pin X1-71 in the ecm plug, and I have seen many instances where in conversions where, with no Body Control Module and no ABS, that you actually dont get any speed reading in your Scantool.
    Whereas my 2014 VF does have this wired between the 6L80 and the E38...
    Do any of you know if the American models have this????
    Also our early Australian say VZ 2005 E38/T56 has an actual VSS (same as LS1), but the next model didn't have a VSS and the ecm got its signal from the ABS via canbus.
    Is this the same for USA???

So i got my vy ute running with the 6l80e and looks like i got the same problem. however i can change the ppl value in the dash from the stock 6200 to 3000 and it bumps it up the speed closer to ecu speed.

I'm just going to try something in the tune to see if i can get it closer.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast