Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vehicle Speedo correction issues E38/T43

Default Vehicle Speedo correction issues E38/T43

Hi Guys Ive searched high and low through here on this topic, and I read somewhere that speedo correction cant be done correctly
    I have a VF L77 and 6L80 in a VS Commodore ute.
    I can do what Im trying to do here easy when doing LS1 conversions and using LS1 OS
    It appears that I can only change the general VSS stuff and get the speed in the scantool to match my GPS, but the trouble is, when actual speed is say 80kph, my VS speedo only reads 30kph. I can change this globely, but obviously I need my ecu speed to be accurate for my gear shift points, and it seems the fine tuning doesnt work at all with this OS.
    I realise I can add an electronic adjuster to my speedo, but does anyone know how to adjust without that
    I have speedo set as serial data, which is the only setting it will work on, and flick shows the restClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Speed settings.JPG 
Views:	299 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	19182

Is there some way I can bump up the speedo output from the ecu to speedo, without upsetting the ecu speed... anybody know???
    I tried a Jayar speedo corrector yesterday, and at the max setting, I can now get it to within about 10%
    I realise I can change the global speed so that the speedo will show correct speed, but at the expense of the ecu speed being nearly doubled, which will mean a complete revamp of all my A6 trans speeds amongst other things.......
    Anyone got any better ideas or a fix please???

I'm not sure what to say here without criticizing someone or something, or whether its just me.....
    This E38 software has a lot left to be desired....
    The problems I'm having are a snap with LS1 stuff.....
    So here's where I'm at
    I reduced H0105 from 481 by 50% to 253 because I know this effects Scantool speed and actual speedo speed, so this combined with my speedo corrector set at 50% actually gave me a very close reading compared to my GPS, except the scantool was reading way high......
    I thought this would mess up my shift point speeds but they remained the same..... wtf..???
    So.... I thought this is pretty cool.... so I dropped H0105 another 20% and zeroed my speedo corrector, and bingo speed was now very close...... except, my scantool was even worse higher, and when it reached 160, I got speed cut, which was actually at 65kph....., so I changed this back to previous settings, and still got speed cut at 160kph although actual speed was now 80kph.... time to check other things
    Then I noticed Speed limiter comms failure H0131 is set to 160, so i will max that out and try tomorrow, as it is late now and a couple of rums to numb things....
    Blacky, Ross, Ian, Taz, am I barking up wrong tree????
    Is there a variable that splits scantool versus speedo (as does the speedo fine tuner in LS1), or is it part of the protocol, and the design of the E38 that prevents this??
    I know that the VR VS auto pcm has a similar issue where ppk or mph factor does not effect displayed speed, but changes shift speeds correctly, and you just have to live with that and work off you actual speed, similarly here....
    H0105 effects scantool and actual speedo, but has no effect on shift points, so you can still tune your shift points from your speedo or GPS, but cant log speeds with scantool.
    I can work with this if the Comms failure speed cures speed cut....
    I can test all this stuff for you, as this is the purpose of this exercise with the conversion of the VF L77 and 6L80 into the VS ute to begin with so that I can nut out most issues for others doing these conversions (which is huge) as I make the wiring harness conversions and tuning here in WA, and Im sure the eastern states guys are interested in this too......
    Cheers Al

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
    ... it is late now and a couple of rums to numb things ...
    Now that is funny - those years are far behind me.

No Holdens sold here - so I don't completely follow what you are attempting with the VF or VS references.

I believe the L77 was released in 2010 ?

I take it a VS is an older vehicle ? Did it originally use an LS1-B PCM ?

Are you using E38 and T43 tunes from the same vehicle ?

Post your tunes when you get a chance.

Hi Taz, I thought you may be Tasmanian....
    VF Commodore is latest and current model and sadly the end of production lines for Holden... thanks to GF meltdown.....
    VS ran from '95 to 2000 and was pre LS1 here in Oz....
    How do you attach files here??? duh...

VF is the latest model commodore, VS is pre LS1 engine. so it's OLD. it used ALDL comms.

On a slightly related topic, I'm planning on trying to put a e38/t43 combo in a vy ute. but i'll be using a vz pim module to translate can data into aldl signal for the dash cluster.

Would this be something you could try in the vs?

Yeah the VS used Uart serial data, but dash was not controlled by BCM, and is just old school.
    Interestingly I cant get Tacho to work either, Ive also had a remote tacho on it and also no go...
    I will have to scope X1-48 to see if there is signal.
    Now the update, Changing the speed limit comms failure H0131 to max fixed speed cut at 65kph ( 160kph on scantool), so i now have speedo spot on with H015 set at 200, but VSS on scantool is reading approx 100kph higher....... anyway the good news is, this doesnt effect A6 shift points
    I converted a Vz V6 to VZ Ls1 last year.... what a headf$%k... but i got it, and changed PIM modules, and even got cruise control to work
    As far as i know Im the only clown that has done this, by modifying (probably worked out a $2.50 per hour... lol).... others have done it by swapping whole body harness etc from complete donor car....
    VZ V6 has a Can bus PIM also ( I havent compared VZ E38 type to V6 yet)..., so I was concerned that the 2 different PIM's would output speak the same Class 2 serial data... It did so all was good... kinda like converting German and Swahili to English.... with maybe different meanings........ kinda like late friday nights at the local....

BTW, the lighter VS ute is awesome with the 6L80, fits right up to original rear crossmember using CAE front mounts and headers, and could have used original 5L 4L60e transmount as it was a perfect fit, but didnt have the safety tab, so I spaced up the VF mount as it does has the safety tab, and at that height the donut type tailshaft lined up perfect with the centre bearing, so this should work in the VY/VZ as well. If the VY/VZ 4L60e transmount is different to VS, you may be able to use yours.....
    I used 3.45 gears with Truetrac.... Im thinking now I could have left it at 3.08, as it is in 3rd gear within first 50m...., great for skidding, but doesnt put it down too well, but has great decel compression braking...

Lifetime Member

... VS ran from '95 to 2000 and was pre LS1 here in Oz....
    Were these OBD-1 ?

Or OBD-2 with some type of Black Box PCM ? Everything in North America had to be OBD-2 compliant beginning in 1996.

... How do you attach files here??? duh...
    When you log in to post - click the "Go Advanced" button - I believe the image of the paper clip is the file attachment button.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    VF is the latest model commodore, VS is pre LS1 engine. so it's OLD. it used ALDL comms.

On a slightly related topic, I'm planning on trying to put a e38/t43 combo in a vy ute. but i'll be using a vz pim module to translate can data into aldl signal for the dash cluster.

Would this be something you could try in the vs?
    Thanks Tre-Cool. The only North American vehicle that I can think of that may have used a PIM (Powertrain Interface Module) was the GTO - but these were only sold in the USA - have never worked with one.

Do you only need the PIM in your future conversion project to translate CAN Bus communications to Serial Data communications, or do you need it for other functions ?

The E67 (with a Trailblazer, H3, or Colorado calibration) will output Serial Data to the gauge cluster (IPC). Perhaps using an E67 in your conversion would alleviate the need for a PIM ?

Lifetime Member

... I cant get Tacho to work either, Ive also had a remote tacho on it and also no go...
    I will have to scope X1-48 to see if there is signal ...
    You will need to add a pull-up circuit to get it to drive the Tach. Lots of information on how to do this already on the internet.

... I used 3.45 gears with Truetrac.... Im thinking now I could have left it at 3.08, as it is in 3rd gear within first 50m...., great for skidding, but doesnt put it down too well, but has great decel compression braking...
    The 6L80/90 have a deep first gear ratio - they work well with axle gears in the 3:1 range - in lightweight Hot Rods or even in light duty two wheel drive trucks (as long as there is a 6.2L under the hood !).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast