Thread: HELP - LMM with dsp5 wont start after three years of faultless operation.

Default HELP - LMM with dsp5 wont start after three years of faultless operation.

Gday to all,
    I am new to the forum and new to the tuning scene. I do look forward to learning more about tuning these engines and hopefully in the near future when my conversion project is finnished I will finally have a vehicle that I can start to learn properly with.
    With that said I will no doubt be on here scouring the forum picking up tips and tricks along the way. So Thankyou all in advance for your knowledge shared.

The reason for this post is a mate of mine is in a pickle with an 07 LMM.
    Three years ago when I first got my V2 I organised a DSP5 tune from a well respected tuner in the US ( I am in AUS) and flashed it into his truck with great results, and has been running without an issue until around a week ago.
    He went to start it one morning and there was a check engine light and the engine would not start. It logged a P062F code, which I have read requires a factory upgraded flash and I believe it has something to do with the VATS system faulting. (Please correct me if I am wrong).
    He is an auto electrician and has checked all batteries, wiring, tried different batteries, bridged the start solenoid with the ignition on and got the engine to crank over but not fire, you name it he's done it. When the key is turned everything seems normal but it doesn't crank.

The vehicle was taken to the local dealer (Holden) to take a look at it. They got the updated file that is supposed to go into the truck and tried to flash it, but the ECU would not accept it, saying there was a mismatch. I am assuming this is because of the dsp5.
    He asked them to disable the VATS system to see if it would make a difference, but they told him that the GM tuner didn't have the ability to do that and an aftermarket programmer such as EFILIVE would have to be used.
    To be honest I don't think they really know what to do with it, there aren't many of these vehicles over here and I doubt there would be even half a dozen within 500 km of where he lives.

Does anyone know if the upgraded file from GM for this issue is a patch for the standard file that the truck came with, in which case it would make sense why there is a mismatch with the dsp5.
    Or is it a complete new file that should wipe the dsp5 from the ECU, leaving him with a stock file. In which case I am confused as to why they couldn't overwrite the dsp5.

The other question I have is with regards to disabling the VATS. If I was to send my V2 to him (he is 1200km away hence why I can't have a look myself) so he can disable the VATS and see if the engine will start. Is this possible to do this when the tune is locked by the tuner or do I need to get the tuner in the US to open his file up and disable it for me before I send the tooling down to him to do a full reflash of the dsp5.

I know this is long winded and I thank you in advance for reading it. I just wanted to give as much info as possible so you would know what has already been done.
    Feel free to give any other ideas of what may be causing the issue.
    Cheers

There was a LMM operating system that had this problem. GM updated the OS to 12628594 which fixed this issue. GM dealer should be able to flash over the tune in the truck, or your V2 can do this. I'd contact your tuner and have an updated tune built off of the updated OS which should fix the issue. This is if, it is indeed, the old OS causing the problem.
    2013 LML, 550hp with factory emissions, stock cp4 and compound turbos.
    2002 LBZ, 4x4 (Max'd Out) 6000lbs 9.36 @ 154 mph NHRDA Champion and Record holder
    1965 El Camino, duramax 9.6 @ 149MPH

All EFI tuned by Adrenaline Truck Performance

The above post probably hit the nail on the head, GM did release a software update for the ECM for a no start...
    EEPROM Fix, DTCs P062F, P0633, replaces all previously released software.

Unfortunately Holden (well GM's system) won't flash over the DSP5 OS because it doesn't know what it is. Where abouts in Australia are you (or the truck)?
    When you get the fixed 12628594 OS in the tuck you will loose DSP5, so it might be worth while contacting the original tuner and see if they can provide you with a DSP5 tune based off 12628594.

Cheers,
    Ross
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

If you post the VIN# I will grab a TIS and a DSP5 of that TIS and post it up as a courtesy
    www.mscservices.net

Tuner of many, many Duramax and Cummins Diesels.

Thanks for the input everyone, greatly appreciated. I have spoken to the tuner and I was going to get him to turn the VATS system off in the current tune and see how it went, but with the advice you have given I will ask him if he can build a new tune off the updated OS.

Ill give my mate a call and see if he can get me the VIN and I will post it up.
    The vehicle is in Roma, Queensland. Inland from Brisbane somewhere.

Do any of you know what year model vehicle the update OS came out with from the factory, its just that I have a copy of the stock tune out of an 09 LMM at home and my tuner may be able to modify that one if it has the updated OS. I would check the OS numbers with the efilive software but I won't be able to access it for another two days.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by GMC-2002-Dmax View Post
    If you post the VIN# I will grab a TIS and a DSP5 of that TIS and post it up as a courtesy
    VIN is as follows:
    1GCHK23697F501923

Most definately a noobie question but what is the TIS and what is it used for?
    Thanks again for your help.

Just an update incase anyone else has this problem.
    Got the VATS turned off in the current DSP5 tune and the truck started straight up, so the VATS system appears to have been the problem.
    Will be putting the stock file back in the truck, taking to the dealer for the update and then get a new tune built up off the updated software.
    Thanks again for everyone's input.

Good stuff, the GM update should fix your VATS issues so you can re-enable VATS on the new tune if you wanted to.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.