Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vin Problems

we have tried it both ways checked and unchecked....just did it again same thing no change.

Anyone got anything to go on...I emailed efi live before i purchased it and specifically asked about this specific vin swap....they said no problem. This is a problem. Did i just get told what i wanted to hear to get a product sale? Now that we have emailed back and forth with them about the problem, they are not replying....never had this problem with hp tuners they are jonny on the spot with fixing bugs or odd issues and never just ignore you. Anyone else had this issue?

Lifetime Member

I'd start with the latest software and FSV2 firmware. I've changed many VINs with my V2 and haven't had any issues, what is the Infinity VIN you're trying to use?

Also, what PCM and what is the OS? I see 1"1:08:54.678: Operating system: 5120002" which isnt a valid OS I believe.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

Lifetime Member

Hi Erik,

It is a 2005 COS.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ProdigyAuto View Post
    Anyone got anything to go on...I emailed efi live before i purchased it and specifically asked about this specific vin swap....they said no problem. This is a problem. Did i just get told what i wanted to hear to get a product sale? Now that we have emailed back and forth with them about the problem, they are not replying....never had this problem with hp tuners they are jonny on the spot with fixing bugs or odd issues and never just ignore you. Anyone else had this issue?
    You realize EFILive is based in Australia and New Zealand .... bit a time difference.

If HPT was so good to you, why didn't you use HPT to change the VIN ? Oh, that's right, because they charge a huge amount of money to allow a VIN change - you need at least a Year / Model license to do this, or an unlimited license.

EFILive does not charge you anything to change the VIN - pretty nice of them.

So rather than whining, how about problem solving ?

I have used EFILive to reprogram the VIN on LS1-B PCMs, E38 and E67 ECMs, and T42 and T43 TCMs - without issue.

So ....

Is the PCM in a vehicle, or are you trying to change the VIN on a bench ?

If you are bench flashing this unit you have to use a key on power also. You just can't disconnect all power to the PCM when done flashing. You have to turn the 'key' off, wait 10 seconds or so, than disconnect the battery power. I got hung up on this one a while back trying to change the VIN on a LS1-B PCM.

BTW... the way you describe EFI Live staff here is the same exact way I was treated by the HP Tuners staff years ago. No one is perfect! Give them a chance.

Hope this helps.

Mike
    Current toys are as follows:
    1961 Chevrolet Corvair Monza, 145 H6/powerglide. 85 HP of raw fury.... slow and stock and staying that way!
    1969 GMC 2500, 4-53T Detroit diesel/Fuller 10 speed on late model 1500 HD frame
    1970 GMC 9500, 6-71 Detroit/Fuller 13 speed, not sure why I bought it, but it sure is noisy!!!
    1975 Ford F100 shortbed. Currently undergoing Crown Vic subframe swap and EFI 4.6!!!
    1975 Chevrolet Vega, 5.3/200-4R may finish someday, maybe...

Thanks for help. We will pull the computer out and make sure that its not dropping all the voltage with key off. FWIW its been over 48 hrs since the last email response, is this normal, and should we just search/post to the forum for all future issues?

Lifetime Member

I don't know for certain, but I have a sense that EFILive is a much smaller company than HPT. On the upside, EFILive has led a lot of innovation. They pioneered the Gen 4 VVE tables nearly 10 years ago - HPT is just adding these tables now. EFILive also discovered the Gen 4 Torque Model - which HPT added shortly thereafter. On the downside, with fewer staff it may take longer to receive email support - especially if any of the staff are away.

It is no secret that EFILive is my software of preference - it is rock solid stable, and I think has the most user friendly Scanner.

It can't hurt to send a follow-up email after a few days have passed - just in case the original got lost in the shuffle. The EFILive staff are also diligent in checking threads on this Forum and helping out when necessary.

OK ... on to problem solving ...

The VIN not being permanently changed could be a power cycling issue, a software installation issue, or an issue of incompatibility (doubtful).

As schwoch1 (Mike) correctly explained, the PCM saves the VIN after ignition voltage has been removed - battery voltage must be maintained during this period. With a Bench Harness the ignition voltage must be controlled with a switch (I use switches for both ignition and battery voltage). Battery voltage must be supplied to C1 (Blue) pin 20 (pin 57 could also be wired - but is not absolutely necessary). Ignition voltage must be supplied to C1 (Blue) pin 19 (pin 75 could also be wired - but is not absolutely necessary).

When I change a VIN (or Full-Flash a controller) on a bench, I follow this power cycle sequence: When prompted turn the ignition voltage OFF (for 1 minute) while maintaining battery voltage. Then turn the ignition voltage back ON for 1 minute. Then turn the ignition voltage OFF again for 1 minute. Then turn the battery voltage OFF (or remove the controller from the Bench Harness). This is not strictly necessary for all controllers, but it is a good practice to get into.

Initial software installation could also be an issue. With Windows 7 or newer, you must install the software as the Administrator. On the V7 (and V8) *.exe file, right-click and select "Run as Administrator". During the installation process check the "all users" box when prompted. Once the software is loaded, right-click on the V7 (and V8) icons on your desktop, and set the programs up to be "Run as Administrator" by all users.

The Infinity VIN itself could be the problem, but this doubtful. Your PCM currently has a Truck VIN in it - as a test, try changing this to a different Truck VIN.

If you want, send me a PM with the Infinity VIN, and I will try it here on a bench.

Lifetime Member

Sorry ... forgot to mention that you need to have made at least 10 posts for your PM account to activate.

With the LS1 style PCM (actually this applies to all) when the VIN is changed through the tune/scantool (or other means) the PCM only writes that new VIN permanently to the flash memory when the Ignition is turned off, but to do that it needs the +12V Battery connection as well. If you are doing this in a car / truck then that should be fine, however often with a bench harness people don't have a separate IGN switch / Battery +12V feed, if that is the case then the VIN will never update. This is usually the problem with a VIN change not sticking. Taz pretty much nailed it in his post above.
    EFILive does not care about the VIN, you can put your name in there if you wanted to.
    The clear DTC discussion within this thread relates to ECM's from about 2010 and later, it doesn't apply to the LS1 style PCM.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast