Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Cam Intake ls1 2002 trans am

Lifetime Member

Default Head Cam Intake ls1 2002 trans am

So I got done building my trans am last summer but because of school I have been unable to find the time to get back home and finish the car. Well the other day I figured I might as well learn how to tune my car so I bought efi live and im going to give this my best shot. I have been reading online for the last week pretty diligently about tuning so I have a bit of a grasp of what needs to be done but I definitely need some guidance. Here are the specs on the build

46 lb/hr fast injectors
    fast 102 intake
    fast 102 throttle body
    stage 3.5 cam, approx .605 lift on exhaust and intake and low to mid 230s on duration, I forgot exactly
    TEA 243 ported heads
    headers no cats and full magnaflow cat back

I have already started the car and it was a bit rough to idle but Im going to account for the bigger injectors tomorrow through the IFR table and through the other injector settings because apparently they are the base settings from a ls2 corvette injectors. Then I will attempt to set idle and go from there. Any help or possibly base tunes with a big cam and a fast 102 would be greatly appreciated for comparison!

Lifetime Member

First, the LS2 OEM injector is not 46lb/hr, so the table for that injector will not translate for your FAST injectors. The LS2 is approx 33 lb/hr. Second, you don't say anything about having a wideband O2 sensor, and you aren't going to get anywhere w/o one.

I don't have the data for your injectors, but that's what you need before you do anything else. Hopefully, some kind soul that has that information will share it with you.

Lifetime Member

Oh sorry let me clarify, all of the offsets are the same for the ls2 injectors and I will account for the different flow rates in the ifr table by multiply by the percentage difference between the flow rates.

Let me second that in injectors, tons of weird idle /driveability issues manifest from injector tables not being spot on. Sounds like your on top of it though.

A wideband 02 is the way to go. With that you can do CalcVet {is a sticky on forum), which will correct your MAF and VE at the same time. You just drive around and collect data and then paste in corrected values. For idle, the sticky labeled "base idle tips and tricks" well help you out.
    You may find that with that cam /TB, that you need to force open loop at idle only. This allows you to clean up AFR issues due to overlap. Hope this is the kind of info you were asking for ...

Lifetime Member

I think I did a pretty solid job on my injectors but if anyone has an identical set and does not mind sharing I would be greatly appreciative to that!

Also I started the car after I accounted for the bigger injectors and the big throttle body and It seemed to have no problems idling at 925RPM all day long. I also just drove it around in the driveway(car isnt insured) and it did great. I took a log and I will be posting it later to see what my next move should be. Also what type of wideband should I get? and if i just stick with the regular 02 sensors what method should I take to get part throttle operation down?

Lifetime Member

Here is the log I took earlier for anyone that has a chance to look at it. I ran it for approx 5 to 10 mins and i had 16 misfires which seems kind of high. Let me know if there are any other PIDS i should look into. I clicked on LTFT for the PID but nothing seemed to log.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I run the innovate ls2. The module and software are great. I had to replace the 02 after a year but that's cause I'm an idiot and ruined it.

Wbo2 seem to be a very heated topic. Some people are very firm on the ones they hate or love...

Glad to hear it ran well on first start.

Lifetime Member

I will have to look into that. What is the least amount of money I would need to spend to get a decent WB02? and is it completely necessary or can I tune pretty solidly off my stock 02 sensors? Also would I just replace the stock 02 with the WB02?

Also I noticed that my timing was all over the place at idle for my logged data, does anybody know why that is and how I would correct it? it seems low in the beginning and high at the end.

Lifetime Member

Also I plan on doing another log with different PIDs in a second and I hope to have the car insured so that I can actually take it for a drive and log some real data. Is there anything I should change before I do this, or am I in an ok spot?
    here is my tune currently, it is pretty stock with some adjustments.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: ctz 1.ctz (443.5 KB, 210 views)

Lifetime Member

Also I am looking at the Innovate Motorsports 3837 LM-2 (BASIC) Digital Air/Fuel Ratio Wideband Meter (1 O2 Sensor) and the aem 30-2310 wideband, which one is better/easier to install?

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast