Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a little input LQ4/th400/208

Post Looking for a little input LQ4/th400/208

Start off, thanks for having me on this forum, I will attempt to contribute where I can. I have lots of experience with the duramax and cummins OS. I enjoy the LS motor quite a bit and many other gas engines. Just picked up an LQ4, stock, 0411pcm 512kb, MAF is still there, no O2's, LC-1 wideband. It's married to a mild TH400 with a reverse pattern valve body and a np208, its all now in my tube chassis 82 cj-5 on 2.5ton rockwells. I have been fooling a bit around with an 02 Camaro manual transmission tune for it, just due to the th400. I do plan on running a bottle down the line and eventually once I get the rest of the parts for the build I will put a blower on it. My question is what are all of your thoughts on the OS, should I just start with a COS or just build off the original tune. Should I retain O2's, keep the MAF, toss the MAF, thoughts, anything to keep the juices flowing here!

GM-Josh, welcome to the forum

I would say build on the current (original) tune for now.

What is the OS id of the current tune.

Greatly appreciate the reply!
    Current OS ID: AB
    Using the truck tune just setup up the transmission calibration to read as a manual instead of a 4l80e. Used an 02 Camaro manual trans tune as a reference. Set the VE tables and timing, may still have to play with the MAF sensor due to the MAF being in the cab, I have the intake flipped on the motor. I may turn it back or re-route the intake elbow and MAF.

Lifetime Member

Did you copy the Camaro tables, Full flash a Camaro tune, or segment swap it? If you're using the stock LQ4 + 60E/80E segment you'll need to segment swap a manual Transmission and Transmission Diagnostics segments in. Super easy to do especially with that OS. Copy/pasting parameters won't do it, there's a lot behind the scenes that is only updated via segment swap.
    ~Erik~
    2013 Sonic RS Manual - 1.4L I4T E78, tuned, turbo mods, etc.
    2008 TrailBlazer SS 3SS AWD Summit White - LS2 E67/T42, bolt ons, suspension, etc.
    2002 Chevy TrailBlazer LT 4X4 Summit White - 4.2L I6 P10, lifted, wheels, etc.

+1 whhat Erik said on segment swapping (Trans and Trans Diag Segments).

At first I did a Camaro full flash, than compared maps, a lot of differences. Than I went to a segment swap for the trans diagnostic and manual trans(I know sounds silly, I got excited thats all I can say). Still in build phase but had it out in the yard and did some pulls, still seems a bit laggy of the jump. Still should play around a little more obviously. I think having the intake flipped is the MAF sensor, which again is still there.

Lifetime Member

Sounds like a fun project a Josh.

If the intake plumbing allows for a MAF I would run it. Sounds like it won't see the street much, so you may not need the O2's, especially with a wideband. The 156 OS is a great one for the swaps.
    00 Silverado Z71, LQ9 w/ LS3 heads, BTR cam, Whipple 2.9@8#, 4l80E

Lifetime Member

We all have very different opinions on how things should be. Personally I am not a MAF supporter, I would not want a single customer to rely on a something that can be altered by simply a dirty filter. If you want to delete it, do it. If not, dont. Just make sure everything is totally tuned. With the off road type stuff, be very aware of your worst enemy... RF. Radios, rewire, alternator...... In rigs and conversions not much thought is put into this.

Little example. Was out tuning a rig, L92 with a cam, E38.. Nothing special. It was running a MAF on a horrible MAF only tune from the previous "tooner". It would run decent then freak out, back fire or over fuel, hell, shoot flames randomly. All fuel related. Everything was good fuel system and ignition wise. I get the wideband setup, disable the MAF, physically pull the wife at the sensor and notice on start up I still had a signal. Thought maybe the plug was wired wrong, so I pulled the 12v and ground for it. Still there. I even logged it...... Yeah with HP, reasons kept to me.

White is the ghost MAF signal.... MAF totally unhooked at the sensor.

Well, that shouldn't be there. Moved on, removed the pin at the ECM and the signal was gone. So what caused it? A horrible reworked harness with an intake flip. The place that reworked just coiled up the excess harness rather than cut it to length, then proceeded to wrap in heat tape.

The rig runs awesome now, no more spontaneous fueling. Video click

Another from the same weekend but this one runs a 0411 COS - video

In the end do what you think works best for you, your knowledge base, rig build and driving style need. All rigs, sports and styles are different. I found what I like. If you have any questions feel free to ask away.

One for fun...... 0411 COS running nitrous, electric 4l80, 440 stroker and doing a little 4 wheel drifting for tv at LSfest West, yes it was in 4wd. video 1 video 2

Lifetime Member

Default Looking for a little input LQ4/th400/208

Cool rides 208, looks like you get to work on some cool toys. I was thinking the MAF being in the cab would see some clean or cleaner air. I think the issue with signal is an exception and not the norm, but I see what you are saying. You can have interference on any signal. Buying a good harness and having anple grounds helps on the swaps.
    00 Silverado Z71, LQ9 w/ LS3 heads, BTR cam, Whipple 2.9@8#, 4l80E

Lifetime Member

Thanks! Still with it in the cab, unless you are out front, you eat tons and tons of dust and dirt. Open element filters are being crushed from vacuum after single heats in some situations. We are seeing the need for dual and triple chamber elements now. Its getting crazy, big engines need air. LOL.

I tune, wire, build engines for about half the cars in the field... Even got on Top Gear this year, wish the big 3 were still there :(

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast