Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast

Thread: Head Cam Intake ls1 2002 trans am

I'm taking a closer look at your VE table.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    I'm taking a closer look at your VE table.
    ok sweet sounds good.
    Dont forget to look at my timing tables from an NA perspective!

Lifetime Member

Yhe PCM has to evecute exception case logic when it hits an out-of-range value... now while we trust GM's software engineering ability, it may be prudent to avoid hitting any exception cases.
    I tried putting them in range and a0007,15,16 will not go away. Here is the tune.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    • File Type: ctz 7b.ctz (455.2 KB, 101 views)

You have to set them to max-1, save file, exit tunetool, restart tunetool, set them to max, save file.

Lifetime Member

So I finally got to do some WOT testing and the car runs great! Just some quick figures for yall.

I wanted to run rich to be safe so I made my VE tables a bit on the high side. At WOT my afr was approx 11.0.
    1. how much power can be had by leaning this out to an afr of 12.4-12.6?

I also went conservative with timing as my wot timing was approximately 22.5 degrees. I have since upped this to 24 degrees and added about a degree everywhere else.
    2. Will this have a noticeable effect?

Lastly, after recalculating my VE values with it running at the correct AFR(accounting for it running rich), I found my air flow rate to be approx 390-400 g/s using DYNCYLAIR instead of cylair as dyncylair calculates air flow based on VE values to my understanding. This is easily over 500 hp to my understanding. what do you guys think?

Quote Originally Posted by oreobadr View Post
    So I finally got to do some WOT testing and the car runs great! Just some quick figures for yall.

I wanted to run rich to be safe so I made my VE tables a bit on the high side. At WOT my afr was approx 11.0.
    1. how much power can be had by leaning this out to an afr of 12.4-12.6?
    Quite a bit... if you don't get any knock, you can go to 12.8-13.0.

I also went conservative with timing as my wot timing was approximately 22.5 degrees. I have since upped this to 24 degrees and added about a degree everywhere else.
    2. Will this have a noticeable effect?
    yes, you will increase TQ/HP... you may be able to go to 26-28* as long as you don't get knock, and keep an eye on AFR (watch that it does not get leaner)... if you do this on the dyno, if you don't see an appreciable increase in TQ then back it down to 24*, this gives you a knock safety margin.

Lastly, after recalculating my VE values with it running at the correct AFR(accounting for it running rich), I found my air flow rate to be approx 390-400 g/s using DYNCYLAIR instead of cylair as dyncylair calculates air flow based on VE values to my understanding. This is easily over 500 hp to my understanding. what do you guys think?
    Depending on your heads/cam, sounds about right.

Remind me of your cam spec (intdur/exhdur lda +adv)...?

Lifetime Member

yes, you will increase TQ/HP... you may be able to go to 26-28* as long as you don't get knock, and keep an eye on AFR (watch that it does not get leaner)... if you do this on the dyno, if you don't see an appreciable increase in TQ then back it down to 24*, this gives you a knock safety margin.

Depending on your heads/cam, sounds about right.

Remind me of your cam spec (intdur/exhdur lda +adv)...?
    I have cnc ported 243(ls6) heads from AI, cam is like 23x/23x for duration (forgot), .60x and .60x lift, It is in between a stage 3 and 4 camshaft(when looking at BTR or texas speed) and I think it is 112 LSA. I also have a fast 102 intake and fast 102 throttle body.
    I was talking more about does 400 g/s of air equate to 525 hp? or is there some correlation between the two?

Lifetime Member

I will have to watch for this. I think I will also stay at approx 12.5 for my AFR just to be safe.

I think I will just stay at 24 just to be on the safe side. Ive been reading about advancing timing is usually no longer beneficially after about 25-26 on ls6 heads because they are so much more efficient than ls1 heads.
    Last edited by joecar; September 6th, 2016 at 01:23 PM. Reason: fixed quote/unquote tags

( I took the liberty of fixing your quote/unquote tags )

24* is safe and it still makes good TQ/HP

( I don't have to say it: on the street you want to err on the side of safe )

Lifetime Member

I learned a thing or two about optimal spark advance a few weeks back on the dyno with my cars. I have to say I was surprised. My LS6 Z06, stock block, TFS 215 heads, Tooley Stage II cam, LS6 intake, LG pro headers,no cats, stock exhaust, made the most HP @ WOT with 17* advance. My stroked Camaro 383,AFR 205 heads, custom CamMotion cam, Kooks 1 7/8 headers, FAST 90, no cats, dual dual exhaust, made the most HP @ 28* advance. I already knew the Camaro liked more spark advance because I had had it on the dyno a few years back, but I was surprised at how much less spark advance the Z06 wanted.

With the cutouts opened up on the Camaro, it only wanted about 24* spark advance and only netted an additional 7 HP.

Unfortunately, moral of the story, you don't know until you spin it up on a dyno.
    Last edited by SOMhaveit; November 3rd, 2016 at 07:08 AM.

Page 41 of 44 FirstFirst ... 313940414243 ... LastLast