Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4l80e tcc wiring...again

Default 4l80e tcc wiring...again

Okay So last summer I was having an issue wih my 4l80e swap.

2005 5.3L
    411 Fbody PCM
    4l80e segmant swap.
    1997 4l80e
    HD2 kit
    Triple disk converter

What was happening is the pcm would not control lockup. I could manually lock up the converter using the DVT tab. The other issue I had was in 1st gear after around 145 degrees or so the trans would chatter only in 1st gear like the converter is locking up.

So I put this off until the end of the season and had my trans guy go for a ride. He was stumped and was a GM tech trans guy. Asked a few buddies and they came up with saying TCC must be locking in 1st gear. Gotta be wiring or the programming.

Currently I believe I have PIN S on the trans wired to Pin 33 on the blue connector. Wired to my brake pedal. I have verified this is reading correct as well.

I am not at all ends and debating doing route two for tcc wiring. How exactly would I wire the false relay if I decided to just go back to the 4l60e segment. I think my last test would be to pull out Pin S on the trans and drive it to see if I have any noises. I Almost just want to put a damn manual lockup switch in it!

Thanks

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jay_rich View Post

Currently I believe I have PIN S on the trans wired to Pin 33 on the blue connector. Wired to my brake pedal. I have verified this is reading correct as well.

I am not at all ends and debating doing route two for tcc wiring. How exactly would I wire the false relay if I decided to just go back to the 4l60e segment. I think my last test would be to pull out Pin S on the trans and drive it to see if I have any noises. I Almost just want to put a damn manual lockup switch in it!

What was signal Blue pin 33...?

Post your vehicle's wiring diagram (or rather, how your PCM is wired to your trans).

If you can manually lock the TCC from the scantool/DVT, then the problem is most likely in the TCC apply/release tables and/or a touchy/intermittent brake switch (seen by PCM).

Are you sure the PCM is not seeing any misfires...?

Are you sure the PCM is not seeing any "rough road" indicator from the ABS module...?

Sorry should have specified this is swapped into a 1987 camaro. No ABS

Basically I took the 4l60e wiring and switched it as per the swap guides. Removed PIN S and PIN U on the trans connector. Installed PIN U into PIN S and added the second VSS.

Im basically trying to find out which pin on the PCM PIN S should go to. Im wondering if I have it mixed up somehow. I wired the car a year ago and have been driving it, just dealing with this no lockup issue. But like I said it will lock up when I force it.

Ill try to trace the wires tonight if I have time

Jay

Jay,

What year/model/vehicle was the donor for the PCM...?

The PCM is from a 1999 trans am but I did a 2002 OS swap on it

Jay

it appears I have the pin from the trans hooked up to the correct spot. PIN 2 RED connector.

After doing some reading I noticed a few threads where it said if you have the trans diagnostics set to X not reported it could mess up lockup. So I compared it to a stock 2002 4l80e tune and mine is way off. I forgot that my base tune was from my buddies car which was a t56 car. Basically anything transmission related was shut off. I went through and copied the 4l80e setting them to C:NON-EMISSIONS.

Think this could have been causing the converter not to lock but would lock when commanded?

Im still stumped on my grinding noise. To me it sounds like the converter is locking in first gear at anything over 140 degrees F. Trans guy says its tune related. But 4l80e's wont allow 1st gear lockup. Only other thing I read was it could be a solenoid leak which is common? Its a fresh rebuild with an HD2

Jay

I think you should do another segment swap from a known 4L80E file with the same OS id...

post your tune file here.

It depends on which codes were disabled.

If converter is locking in 1st then I would do that ^ (1st line above).

Even if converter is locking in first, there should be no grinding sound.

Solenoid leak... IDK, let me look at a hydraulic schematic...

Here is a copy of one of my tunes from last summer. Camaro-1.ctz. This tune was based off a t-56 tune(diagnostics etc)

I also attached a copy of my newest which I changed all of the transmissions DTC Processing enablers to what a stock 4l80e tune has. C:non-emmisions.

Another thing I get a slam when going into reverse. Would altering D1505 help this. I currently have it set to zero. I assume a negative value would put less pressure going into reverse?

Im just trying to rule out all options as my builder thinks its tune related. Some threads online are telling me its a cross leak. I also heard the 4l80e has pressure issues as is and there is a modification places like jakes do.

Thanks

Jay
    Attached Files Attached Files

So after a year of figuring this issue out...im starting to get somewhere. Like I said about I had all the MIL's set to NOT REPORTED. Now that they are reported I beleive the trans is going into limp mode.

CODE P0713- Temp sensor
    CODE P0748- Pressure control solenoid.

Im thinking the internal harness may have some issues since it was reused in the rebuild.

Jay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast