Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP: ECM DEAD after CSP5 Upgrade!

Took the negative batterys cable off the truck. Turned the key to drain the ecm. I will let it set overnight and see what happens. Thanks for helping!

Battery reset did not work. I tried to flash with smarty jr but it didnt work. Also tried efi live but failed

Well I suppose the ecm is dead. Anyone know where i can get a CM2100A for cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel View Post
    Well I suppose the ecm is dead. Anyone know where i can get a CM2100A for cheap?
    Dang smarty. Did you start with a known good file?

Sure did. Got the clean file off tune file depot.

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayDiesel View Post
    Sure did. Got the clean file off tune file depot.
    So the stock file programmed but the DSP5 failed?

Yes I was able to flash stock and modified from file tune depot all day (at least 10 times) same base file 'ok to flash' but with upgraded csp5 conversion it failed. No errors were given before during or after the flash. Wait for countdown. Turn ignition on to start and it is completely dead

Lifetime Member

Hi Justin,

I answered your PM, however I have understood the sequence of events between this thread and our PM to be different. I got the impression that the truck had a smarty on it, you returned it to stock and then converted that file for CSP, and flashed it into your truck because it said 'Ok to flash'

But I get the impression here you used a file from the tune file depot to convert to CSP rather than your smarty 'stock' tune.

The CSP document says

If the truck has had a different tuner on it in the past (i.e. not EFILive) then the conversion process may fail. EFILive highly recommends Customers source a good known base file for CSP5. This may involve either a dealer flash, or obtaining a suitable file from your chosen tuner.

EFILive cannot always detect the presence of other tuners in files, if a situation occurs where EFILive's modifications 'clash' with other tuners modification it might result in a bricked 'brain dead' ECM that cannot be recovered.

I think I'm going to change the document to add NEVER convert a base file that may contain traces of a previous tuner. ALWAYS start with a clean base file.

Your ECM is dead - dealer software will not recover the ECM. You need a new ECM. If the new ECM contains RSA encryption, you'll find the patch files in your software installation in the directory C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Installation Defaults\Tune\CMC

Cheers
    Cindy

Lifetime Member

Justin, can you please email me the tune file that caused your ECM to brick.

We will download both OS 11551035 files from the tune file depot and compare the back end data to the file you submit.

Cheers
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by cindy@efilive View Post
    Hi Justin,

I answered your PM, however I have understood the sequence of events between this thread and our PM to be different. I got the impression that the truck had a smarty on it, you returned it to stock and then converted that file for CSP, and flashed it into your truck because it said 'Ok to flash'

But I get the impression here you used a file from the tune file depot to convert to CSP rather than your smarty 'stock' tune.

The CSP document says

If the truck has had a different tuner on it in the past (i.e. not EFILive) then the conversion process may fail. EFILive highly recommends Customers source a good known base file for CSP5. This may involve either a dealer flash, or obtaining a suitable file from your chosen tuner.

EFILive cannot always detect the presence of other tuners in files, if a situation occurs where EFILive's modifications 'clash' with other tuners modification it might result in a bricked 'brain dead' ECM that cannot be recovered.

I think I'm going to change the document to add NEVER convert a base file that may contain traces of a previous tuner. ALWAYS start with a clean base file.

Your ECM is dead - dealer software will not recover the ECM. You need a new ECM. If the new ECM contains RSA encryption, you'll find the patch files in your software installation in the directory C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Installation Defaults\Tune\CMC

Cheers
    Cindy
    Sorry for the confusion, please let me clarify

I ran a smarty jr for many years on the truck.
    Recently I purchased efi live.
    I returned the smarty jr tune on the truck back to "stock"
    Then I got a tune from tune file depot, changed the vin and loaded the tune (with some deletes)
    This past friday I got a CSP5 switch in the mail.
    I took the tune that I got from tune file depot that was "ok to flash" and had flashed ok, followed the CM2100A guide to converting the file to CSP5.
    Once converted I saved as to a new file name and closed efi live.
    Then I opened the newly saved file and flashed it to the truck.
    No errors were during the conversion of the file to CSP5, during or after the flash.
    I went to start the truck and it did not turn over, the truck sits dead in the drive way.

I have heard of people getting the dodge dealership to try and flash the ecm with no luck.
    A good friend of mine works as cummins and believes he can force the firmware onto the ecm but we will not know until a few more days.
    The dodge dealership uses handshaking methods to communicate to the ecm to verify it is the correct ecm that it is flashing, since the firmware is garbage or blank it cannot begin this handshake.
    I am told that the cummins way starts at the first address and keeps writing the data (including the boot loader) We have not tried this yet but we will know in a few days.
    The problem with this is that it will be the latest revison which will have the RSA encryption which you have told me that we can patch.

As a backup plan do we have a good source of CM2100A ecm's? I would like to have one as a backup in case this ever happens again.

I appreciate your help on this but unfortunately I do not have your email address. Do you want the base tune that I downloaded from tune file depot or do you want the CSP5 converted file?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast