Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cannot Purchase New Vin License - No Auth Code

EFILive Developer Site Admin Blacky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenpaiyomi View Post
    Paul,

I actually was able to contact my wife and guide her through everything over video call. You are correct, it is showing up without the appended 00, though it did copy with it. Applicable files are attached and I'll email you the htx trace.
    Thanks the trace shows that the serial number is not corrupt. Rather it is an old FlashScan device that was originally programmed with a 10 digit serial number. There are not many of those older ones left in the wild

For the generating an auth code, do I specifically need v7, or should it be possible with v7.5? I know in the v7.5 software, I have attempted to do licensing through it and it tells me that I must use the v8 software.

Regards,
    Eric
    Sorry my mistake, I meant V7.5. I had also forgotten that the licensing option has been removed from V7.5 so that is not an option you can use.

Which means until I get the next version released*, you'll need to order your VIN licenses without an Auth Code. It just means the order won't process automatically. It will only get processed manually first thing each business day in Auckland.

* hopefully the new version will be available in the next week or two.

Regards
    Paul
    Before asking for help, please read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    Thanks the trace shows that the serial number is not corrupt. Rather it is an old FlashScan device that was originally programmed with a 10 digit serial number. There are not many of those older ones left in the wild

Sorry my mistake, I meant V7.5. I had also forgotten that the licensing option has been removed from V7.5 so that is not an option you can use.

Which means until I get the next version released*, you'll need to order your VIN licenses without an Auth Code. It just means the order won't process automatically. It will only get processed manually first thing each business day in Auckland.

* hopefully the new version will be available in the next week or two.

Regards
    Paul
    Paul,

Beautiful, thank you for your assistance in this matter, and I'm glad I was able to help out in figuring out an issue that may have potentially plagued some other user.

Just out of curiosity, is there some general variance between the older V2 devices and the newer ones, or just a variance of serial numbers? Apologies for the general lack of knowledge, this is my first foray into the EFILive world

Regards,
    Eric

I have a really old V2 but the serial starts with 00, then 10 digits. Did EFI add 00 to the beginning of the serials later?

Quote Originally Posted by minytrker View Post
    I have a really old V2 but the serial starts with 00, then 10 digits. Did EFI add 00 to the beginning of the serials later?
    At some stage (many years ago) the serials changed from 10 digits to 12 digits. The V7 software was modified to always prefix 10 digit numbers with '00'. The V8 software does not have that prefix option. It was an oversight on my part, I thought the firmware had been modified to always add the '00'. Instead the USB interface in V7.5 was adding the '00'. That should have been done in V8 as well - it will be in the next update.

To check how your serial number is formatted in FlashScan's memory, use the on-board option F4->F3->F1.

Regards
    Paul

Just out of curiosity, is there some general variance between the older V2 devices and the newer ones, or just a variance of serial numbers? Apologies for the general lack of knowledge, this is my first foray into the EFILive world
    Regards,
    Eric
    There are two different FlashScan V2s: The Black ones and the Blue ones. The differences are:

1. Black has 4MB of onboard flash memory, Blue has 8MB of onboard flash memory. That's really only significant if you don't use an SD Card and only use the on-board memory for tunes and data logs.
    2. Blue has the ability to support the SCI protocol (for older Cummins diesels) - however EFILive has no plans to provide support for the SCI protocol.
    3. Blue FlashScan's have a different (more hardened) USB power interface to help prevent floating grounds and ground loops between the vehicle chassis and the laptop from shorting via the FlashScan USB connection. What that means is there's a 99% chance of blowing something up if you use a Black FlashScan connected to a laptop powered via power inverter from the vehicle's battery. The Blue FlashScan just makes that chance a little less. We still recommend to never use a power inverter to power your laptop if/when you are using a FlashScan/AutoCal connection between the laptop and the vehicle.

Plus there were a few minor circuit board updates but I 'm not sure exactly what they were. Mostly just part number updates.

Note: the 10 v's 12 digit serial number issue is not related to the differences between Blue and Black. The serial number change happened during the production of Black FlashScans, years before we updated to the Blue FlashScan's.

Regards
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
    There are two different FlashScan V2s: The Black ones and the Blue ones. The differences are:

1. Black has 4MB of onboard flash memory, Blue has 8MB of onboard flash memory. That's really only significant if you don't use an SD Card and only use the on-board memory for tunes and data logs.
    2. Blue has the ability to support the SCI protocol (for older Cummins diesels) - however EFILive has no plans to provide support for the SCI protocol.
    3. Blue FlashScan's have a different (more hardened) USB power interface to help prevent floating grounds and ground loops between the vehicle chassis and the laptop from shorting via the FlashScan USB connection. What that means is there's a 99% chance of blowing something up if you use a Black FlashScan connected to a laptop powered via power inverter from the vehicle's battery. The Blue FlashScan just makes that chance a little less. We still recommend to never use a power inverter to power your laptop if/when you are using a FlashScan/AutoCal connection between the laptop and the vehicle.

Plus there were a few minor circuit board updates but I 'm not sure exactly what they were. Mostly just part number updates.

Note: the 10 v's 12 digit serial number issue is not related to the differences between Blue and Black. The serial number change happened during the production of Black FlashScans, years before we updated to the Blue FlashScan's.

Regards
    Paul
    Good to know. I intend to use an SD card since they are so cheap, I don't have a Cummins diesel, and I don't intend to use an inverter, so the variances shouldn't affect me. Thanks for the clarification!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123