Thread: A40 vs A46/T14A

Default A40 vs A46/T14A

A40 OSes are incompatible with A46 hardware (and vice versa). 06-08 pickups all have both A40- and A46-specific cals, but no A46 cals exist for MD trucks. what is someone supposed to do for a new replacement TCM for an 06-08 MD truck now that A40s are discontinued?

We have not seen an A46/T14A to know if they will even work in the software, when did the A40 get replaced?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    We have not seen an A46/T14A to know if they will even work in the software, when did the A40 get replaced?
    probably around same time T14 came out, i.e., ~2010, maybe later? new A40s were still around for a while but good luck ordering a new one now. T14A = # 24256864. integrated bootloader. it's a Delco branded A46 with some default GM OS. i'm just wondering what people do when buying a new TCM for an MD truck, because A46 won't work and (afaik) new A40s are not available anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by vectorbundle View Post
    A40 OSes are incompatible with A46 hardware (and vice versa). 06-08 pickups all have both A40- and A46-specific cals, but no A46 cals exist for MD trucks. what is someone supposed to do for a new replacement TCM for an 06-08 MD truck now that A40s are discontinued?
    I have stock of each, both used and new.
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    so do i. for now. problem with new A40s is they will eventually be unobtainable. gonna have to figure out how to set up T14As with a MD cals. i have an idea how to do it. but no trickery should be necessary. there should be a standard OEM procedure for installing/programming a new TCM replacement in an 06-08 MD truck, with something other than discontinued A40. if there is, i can't get any info on it.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    Have you checked/can you confirm that they are a drop in replacement? and they work with the current software?

Cheers
    Cindy

they are, for pickups. i don't know what to do with MD cals yet, they only have A40 OSes available afai can tell.

i did a full read of some A46 pickup cals with EFIlive w/o issues other than some OS checksums come up as invalid. i can send some files over if you like.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by vectorbundle View Post
    they are, for pickups. i don't know what to do with MD cals yet, they only have A40 OSes available afai can tell.

i did a full read of some A46 pickup cals with EFIlive w/o issues other than some OS checksums come up as invalid. i can send some files over if you like.
    I think that the A40 full read option may throw invalid checksums, so perhaps the A46 is no different.

Can you please try a cal read? and send through both read files to cindy@efilive.com

Cheers
    Cindy