Thread: newbie needs some help with an a4 2-3 shift issue!

Default newbie needs some help with an a4 2-3 shift issue!

As the title states I would truly appreciate if some one could look over the trans section of the attached tune file. the car is a 95 firebird with an ls1 swap. it has a cam and yank ss3600 converter that we just put in. I used the search function and tried upping the line pressure and lowering the rpm but it still will not execute a 2-3 shift at WOT. Even the part throttle shift is very slow and sloppy. Thanks in advance for any help/guidance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Try the tune attached below ... to see if it shifts correctly up and down through the gears. If it does - then tune to suit your needs.

Also - you have removed (zeroed out) all of the upshift Torque Reduction (TR) ... this is not recommended with a 4L60.

Thanks so much. The trans tune was actually in the pcm when he got it. I will update with results tomorrow

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by outkast View Post
    ... The trans tune was actually in the pcm when he got it...
    Fair enough ... regardless of who did the tune (it has been modified from stock) ... removing the upshift TR on a 4L60 is a rookie mistake. The shifts can be made to feel quick / firm / crisp (pick your adjective) with upshift TR in place, which will promote transmission longevity.

Thanks Taz! The tune you posted made a marked improvement. It still seems to shift sluggish but it did execute the shift without hitting the rev limiter. I attached a log running the tune you posted. Is 2 sec a normal time frame to complete a shift?
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 second shift time is an indication of internal problems.

I didn't look at the log yet (on my phone) but I will later tonite.

thanks I would really appreciate any help. this trans only has 1500 miles on it but it doesn't feel right. I just noticed the above log show timing dropping off the chart too

The shift time is relevant only immediately after a shift (i.e. where the pid GEAR changes)... your log shows 0 seconds to complete most shifts...

you can see RPM drop takes about 0.2 seconds (when RPM starts to drop then then shift is already complete, otherwise RPM would not start dropping).

Quote Originally Posted by joecar View Post
    The shift time is relevant only immediately after a shift (i.e. where the pid GEAR changes)... your log shows 0 seconds to complete most shifts...

you can see RPM drop takes about 0.2 seconds (when RPM starts to drop then then shift is already complete, otherwise RPM would not start dropping).
    Thanks you for explaining that to me. Did you see the timing dips? I haven't seen them previously, I was wondering if it was related to the up shift tq management. The car has backfired during/after a shift a couple times