Thread: 98 ls1a can't segment swap

Lifetime Member

Default 98 ls1a can't segment swap

I have auto tune loaded and manual loaded for comparison but the copy segment option is greyed out. What am I doing wrong?

I don't think LS1A allows segment swap.

Post screenshots.

Lifetime Member

I just used a 98 tune with manual trans from the Depot. As for screenshot the menu option for 'copy segment' was just greyed out even with cal loaded. Same os of course.

Quote Originally Posted by bubba68ss View Post
    I just used a 98 tune with manual trans from the Depot. As for screenshot the menu option for 'copy segment' was just greyed out even with cal loaded. Same os of course.
    Do you mean you just used a 98 tune from the depot, and where able to segment swap on that one?

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by oldwelder View Post
    Do you mean you just used a 98 tune from the depot, and where able to segment swap on that one?
    Sorry. I meant I started with a ls1/4l60e and wanted to segment swap to a manual. Couldn't do it with EfiLive so I just used a ls1/manual tune from tubefiledepot. Easy fix I guess. Just curious why ls1a can't do segment swaps within similar OS's

Quote Originally Posted by bubba68ss View Post
    Sorry. I meant I started with a ls1/4l60e and wanted to segment swap to a manual. Couldn't do it with EfiLive so I just used a ls1/manual tune from tubefiledepot. Easy fix I guess. Just curious why ls1a can't do segment swaps within similar OS's
    There is no segments, it is all one thing (from memory)
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    There is no segments, it is all one thing (from memory)
    GMPX, I have a question regarding this if you can take a minute to look it up. I know your busy

Is this something that was never finished?

I noticed when you open an LS1A File it only shows an engine calibration. No other info regarding segments.

Also the H0103 for the gear ratio/ final drive is not populated and is set by EFI live to 0. There for you can not use the calculator when changing gear ratios.

I find it odd that the old 98 Black box PCM has this info populated but not the LS1A PCM's.

I don't expect you to drop everything and fix it, I am just curious why that 1 specific application does not have that table populated as well as why it does not display the other segments.

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by 1FastBrick View Post
    ... I noticed when you open an LS1A File it only shows an engine calibration. No other info regarding segments.
    It is a single segment calibration - in other words, there is only one segment.

Also the H0103 for the gear ratio/ final drive is not populated and is set by EFI live to 0. There for you cannot use the calculator when changing gear ratios.
    The gear ratio (H0103) is NOT stored in the calibration. You can indeed use the Speedo Calculator, you just need to manually enter some values (like the gear ratio).

I find it odd that the old 98 Black box PCM has this info populated but not the LS1A PCM's.
    I find many things GM did odd.

I don't expect you to drop everything and fix it, I am just curious why that 1 specific application does not have that table populated as well as why it does not display the other segments.
    There is nothing to fix - see above comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz View Post
    It is a single segment calibration - in other words, there is only one segment.

The gear ratio (H0103) is NOT stored in the calibration. You can indeed use the Speedo Calculator, you just need to manually enter some values (like the gear ratio).

I find many things GM did odd.

There is nothing to fix - see above comments.

I am Curious as to where the Gear ratio was stored then. It seems like that info would be needed for shift points and so on.

I know it's an old platforum and it's only a 1-2 year thing. It was more of a curiosity thing is all.

I don't have the access or knowledge to look deeper into to the code and how it works. Although if someone would point me in that direction, I would like to learn more about it.

Lifetime Member

I am Curious as to where the Gear ratio was stored then. It seems like that info would be needed for shift points and so on.

I know it's an old platforum and it's only a 1-2 year thing. It was more of a curiosity thing is all.

I don't have the access or knowledge to look deeper into to the code and how it works. Although if someone would point me in that direction, I would like to learn more about it.
    As I stated in my previous post, the Gear Ratio was not stored in the LS1-A (1997-1998) PCMs.

It was stored in the LS1-B PCMS (1999 - 2007), but was only used for Torque calculations, not for Shift Speed nor Speedometer calculations.

The "Speedometer Wizard" was written to populate this value (if available in the calibration) for you - otherwise you simply enter this value manually in the wizard.