Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moving up to FI

Default Moving up to FI

Well, after many years of fun tinkering with the tune and the car I decided to do a winter strip down and rebuild to replace all of those hard to reach wearable items - fortunately for me the body lifts off reasonably easily and gives great access to everything, and then scope creep set in

I picked up a Procharger P1SC from a buddy for a good price and fabbed up a mount for it, I'm putting the body back on next week so need to get my arse in gear and get the tune ready for it's first fire up.

I think I need to change 2 areas in the tune, MAP and Fuel Injectors -

First question (baby steps) - I've installed a 2Bar MAP from SFI and have the attached data for it - is the data relevant? all I can see is that I need to change C6301 to 190 (Double original value). Is there anything I need to do with C6302 (Offset)?

COS3, LS1B, OLSD,

Car as it should look!

Car as it is currently :-(

Data sheet for the 2 Bar MAP Sensor

I'll leave the 2nd question for later (Injectors) whilst I do some further forum reading

Thanks for any guidance

Regards

Jim
    2000 LS1 M6, No EGR/Air/PS/CATs. TR230 Cam, COS3, OLSD, LC1 Wideband fitted, Procharger P1SC, 2 Bar MAP, Siemans Dekka 60Lb Injectors.
    All wrapped up in a 2000Lb AC Cobra Replica

Hey Jim,

Nice car!

How do you read that datasheet...? Running down th2 2-bar column are those psi values...? Where are the voltage values corresponding to the psi values...?

Hi Joe,

Thanks, keeps me out of trouble :-)

Left hand column is Volts, psi is the column directly under the arrow (so 4.25 Volts is 13.43psi absolute (whatever that means).

I read it as:
    0.5V is -14.7psi absolute or 0 psi in the real world
    4.25V is 13.43psi absolute or 30 psi

I think!

Regards

Jim
    2000 LS1 M6, No EGR/Air/PS/CATs. TR230 Cam, COS3, OLSD, LC1 Wideband fitted, Procharger P1SC, 2 Bar MAP, Siemans Dekka 60Lb Injectors.

GD J1M_0011.ctzGD J1M_FI_001.ctz

Good day in the garage today and the car is starting to look a lot more like the first picture now!

I've had a good read through the forum (and LS1 Tech) and have arrived at what I hope is a reasonable starting point.

I've changed the following tables - anything obvious that I've missed? - I'm aiming for a starting point not the finished article :-)

A0009 Boost VE Table (Copied 105KPa column across from B0101)
    B3701 Injector PW Voltage Adjustment
    B4001 Injector Flow Rate
    B4003 Min Injector Pulse Width
    B4004 Default Min Injector Pulse Width
    B4005 Small Pulse Adjustment
    C6301 MAP sensor scaler

(Original NA tune ends 011, new FI tune ends 01)

Still need to read up on Boost timing levels and Boost AFR levels before I flash the tune in though.

Once I've set those up at a "safe" level I think my approach is as follows:

AutoVE <85KPa
    KR & Timing check
    ***sense check the logs look OK/back to normal following hardware swaps***
    AutoVE >85KPA
    KR & Timing check

Is that a reasonable "baby steps" approach?

Thanks

Jim

I'll look thru your file...

yes, sounds like a good start.

Also, measure rail pressure (with reference hose removed if there is one), make sure you know what it is.

Thanks Joe,

Now you mention pressure I remember that it has been nearly 10 years since I properly measured the rail pressure (FPR is not referenced)! I'll get that done now so I get a good run at this :-)

Tks

Jim

Getting there with the mechanical side of things, FMIC mounted and plumbing to one side finished, just waiting for a couple of more tubes to arrive to finish the other side, then hook up electrics & Dash.
    Bought a fuel pressure tester (cheaper than I thought they would be) so will do that once I have power.

Changed the last couple of things in the tune, current WOT timing is 19 Degrees so I've aimed for pulling out 6 degrees by where I think I will end up with boost (and then continued it a further 3 degrees in case I get it wrong a bit and end up with more boost than I plan for!). AFR now hits 11.8 without modifiers, PE under boost also changed to that value.

2 things I'm not sure on?
    1. A0014 IAT VE Modifier
    2. B3641 PE Modifier based on IAT

Both are currently at their default values (both currently add nothing) - any advice gratefully received (even if it's "leave them alone"), otherwise I'll keep reading.

Hoping to flash and fire up later this weekend if all goes well

Regards

JimGD J1M_FI_002.ctz

A0014, B3641: edit these if you want to go richer as IAT climbs, i.e. using the extra fuel for cooling... I think this provides some safety in case the intercooler is not going it's job.

I'm by no means a boost expert, so let me do some more research... please feel free to post any more info/knowledge that you may find, I'm open to learning new ideas.

Slow progress.

Chased my tail for a couple of evenings with zero fuel pressure and plenty of pump noise, turns out the idiot installer hooked up the fuel pipes to the regulator incorrectly, I've had a stern word with myself

Just under 60psi fuel pressure now which is close enough for me not to meddle with.

Did a Key on, engine off test with the original N/A tune and 1 bar MAP sensor 100kpa, loaded the new tune scaled to 190 for the 2 bar MAP Sensor....same Key on, Engine off and logged 100kpa as well - that feels like the easy bit done

Did a whole load of reading and ventured into the world of CAX files and loaded B9021 for COS3 and adjusted the pulse width down accordingly (a lot easier than I imagined it would be).

Failed to fire it up this evening due to a lack of power to the starter solenoid - I have a feeling Mr Idiot is at it again

Gremlin chasing tomorrow night, nearly there though!

Jim
    Last edited by Happy Jim; April 5th, 2016 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Jim, take your time.

Also, be careful to keep these isolated:
    - power source for charger for vehicle battery,
    - power source for laptop/PC (into which FlashScan is plugged into);

i.e. we don't want FlashScan or the OBD-2 cable or the USB cable to be the fusible link between two different ground systems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast