Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low speed GMLAN (SWCAN)

Default Low speed GMLAN (SWCAN)

Just curious if the V2 hardware supports low speed GMLAN? The 33.3k single wire 29-bit CAN bus used on the interior stuff.

I see that pin 1 on the V2 cable is populated, but I was curious if the V2 had the hardware (or software) support for any SWCAN implementation.

Or maybe Flashscan V3 will have full SWCAN support?
    2005 Silverado, CC/SB, 4x4, LT, LILLY/Allison
    12.9s @ 108 mph

many thanks to Ross and Paul

It used to, the early black ones had the SWCAN chip but we removed it years ago, V3 won't get it either, sorry.
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by GMPX View Post
    It used to, the early black ones had the SWCAN chip but we removed it years ago, V3 won't get it either, sorry.
    Interesting. Yeah I just took mine apart (february 2006), sure enough it had a TLE6255 SWCAN transceiver on there.

Just out of curiosity, what was the original intent of having it on there? Were you guys doing it "just in case" because GMLAN was just starting to be phased in at that time and you werent sure where they (GM) were going to go with it?

Or was there something else originally planned like body/interior diagnostics?
    12.9s @ 108 mph

Is Flashscan V3 going to have support for any additional protocols? FD-CAN?
    12.9s @ 108 mph

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    Were you guys doing it "just in case" because GMLAN was just starting to be phased in at that time and you werent sure where they (GM) were going to go with it?
    Yes it was a just in case situation, but in the end we never found a use for it so when we transitioned to the blue V2's it was decided to leave it out as the chip was getting expensive too. yes it would be nice to send messages to the cluster but it is more a gimmick that necessity.

Quote Originally Posted by DURAtotheMAX View Post
    Is Flashscan V3 going to have support for any additional protocols? FD-CAN?
    FD-CAN ?
    I no longer monitor the forum, please either post your question or create a support ticket.

rather then post a new thread i'll jump in here as it's kinda related with the can discussion.

What would the chances be of supporting can based widebands? I know we can't plug directly into the v2, but wouldn't it be possible to plug into the obdi2 plug HS can lines for the data to be injected and then log pids into efilive scanner?

The reason I ask now is there is a guy modifying a firmware for some aem gauges on the hpt forum and they are wiring in to the can wires and reading directly into the hpt logging software.
    http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...-testers/page4

I'm not personally using the AEM gauges, but I do have some of the existing ecotrons units and they have a dual wideband can kit, which would be great to use instead of just the 1 sensor kits and you have already got the serial data working for me. :-)

ALM list their can data specs/formatting in this pdf.

If it's do-able i'll order 2 kits and ship you one for testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    What would the chances be of supporting can based widebands? I know we can't plug directly into the v2, but wouldn't it be possible to plug into the obdi2 plug HS can lines for the data to be injected and then log pids into efilive scanner?
    Currently no because EFILive only monitors for ECM and TCM CAN ID's to assist in software/hardware throughput, to add to that they are using 29bit CAN headers at 250K for their messages which we can't have mixed in with GM ECM/TCM 11bit ID's at 500K. It looks like you can configure the ALM to use something different to the default set up, but it could be tricky making it play nice on the GM CAN bus with all the other modules on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tre-Cool View Post
    firmware for some aem gauges on the hpt forum and they are wiring in to the can wires and reading directly into the hpt logging software.
    And Tre-Cool still manages to get in the obligatory HPT plug/link for every post he makes

Currently no because EFILive only monitors for ECM and TCM CAN ID's to assist in software/hardware throughput, to add to that they are using 29bit CAN headers at 250K for their messages which we can't have mixed in with GM ECM/TCM 11bit ID's at 500K.

And Tre-Cool still manages to get in the obligatory HPT plug/link for every post he makes
    They offer the option to go to 11 bit can id's as a customer specific requirement. Obviously that would help then?

As for the hpt plug, it's hardly that. I just keep my eyes open on what's going on in both platforms & While I have both, only efilive has my money for multiple stream licenses.

I actually found it quite ironic/funny that hpt users are raving on about being able to go to serial/can input instead of analog 0-5v considering how long we've had it with efi.

Yes it was a just in case situation, but in the end we never found a use for it so when we transitioned to the blue V2's it was decided to leave it out as the chip was getting expensive too. yes it would be nice to send messages to the cluster but it is more a gimmick that necessity.
    Yeah, makes sense.

FD-CAN ?
    Flexible-Data rate CAN. Works at speeds >1mbps, and up to 64-byte(!) message. Its the new encrypted CAN/GMLAN bus that GM will be moving over to within the next couple of years when they roll out the new Global-B electrical architecture to replace the current Global-A.

I suspect OBD tuning will basically end when they go to encrypted CAN. 5 byte seed/key stored in the cloud. :(

I dont blame them for going to encryped CAN though; Global-B will support over-the-air software updates and wireless diagnostics, so security pretty much HAS to be implemented on the bus to protect us from cyber attacks, etc.
    12.9s @ 108 mph

From what I understand it will be some time until the encryption portion will be actually enabled or implemented, even after the new bus is introduced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast