Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 bar SD open loop idle rich and hard start cold

Well did some more messing with it. I was reviewing my IAC (spark and fuel/air) tables with one from a stock 2002 camaro and did see some significant differences (but then again mine was based from a 1999 camaro so there could be some differences). So I pretty well copied all of the stock Camaro values over, then I also adjusted the throttle body. Cracked it 3% then reset the TPS and IAC so the TPS is reading 0 %. It did seem to want to fire much easier. Died as soon as it idled down a tad. I then added 10% to the B4343 Startup Friction airflow Decay which seemed to fire quicker but the car was just started 5 minute previous. This cold start is tricky because you don’t get very many changes before its already a bit warm. It was successful enough that I didn’t have to even get in the car and throttle it to keep the car alive.

So then I took a look into the fuel pressure. I must have set my fuel pressure last year with the reference hooked up so it was 42ish psi with the vacuum line on and around 50 psi with the hose off/kinked ( I based all of my injector rates for 43psi base). As soon as I kinked the vacuum line and started bringing down the pressure to 43psi no reference the car leaned out and stalled. So now I’m basically starting over with my VE and cranking VE. It ended up being around a 20% change in fuel pressure. Started with adding 10% to the entire VE and it ran okay but still a tad lean and sounded like it wanted to die and chugged a tad. AFR was around 16.5-17.00. So I just added another 9% to the entire VE (in theory this should bring be down to around a 14.7-15.00 idle afr). I feel I am getting closer, and my VE is looking more like a normal VE. In the 40-50s in the lower map idle ranges vs 30s like it was. If all is good I will toss an Auto-VE tune in the car tonight and take it out for a good hour or so. We are supposed to get some spring like weather today.

I will test again tonight. It was getting late and the wife put a stop to it lol.

Jay

Lifetime Member

Are you going to run the fuel rail unreferenced now?

Nope it is still referenced, so running it actually sits around 35psi idle 19-21in/hg vacuum. un-eferenced it is 43psi.

Lifetime Member

Is it a boost referenced regulator?

yes its a 1:1 boost referenced reg. Summit (aka Aeromotive reg)

Also here is the newest updated tune that seems to be getting me closer. I should add I havnt done any WOT or driving with this yet. Just testing idle. I will need to do an auto VE and clean up the VE for sure.

Jay
    Attached Files Attached Files

Lifetime Member

Do you have a MAF sensor fitted which you can enable?

No I do not. I wired the car for SD. Would make life much easier if I did though!

Progress is getting better. I fired it up dead cold yesterday and it fired immediately then stumbled after like 3 seconds and died. I was able to throttle it a tad to keep it alive. Before sometimes it would still stumble. I ended up going for a good 30min cruise and the throttle feel seems much more responsive and no longer sticks. IAC counts are down to about 85-90 warm idle around 800rpm. When I got home I adjusted the throttle body another .8% and reset it. I will try to get an autoVE in this weekend if the weather holds and see if it clears any other issues up.

Jay

Lifetime Member

Try adding a little bit more start up friction airflow and reduce the friction airflow decay (maybe 20-30%) so it holds that extra airflow a bit longer.

I think I may have it. I did the throttle crack of 0.8% with no changes to the tune and it fired and died twice. Adjusted the friction and reduced the decay then also changed up the desired air flow a tad. It fired right up but I did just try starting it 5 minutes prior. The idle did seem to hang a bit...1400 start up, went down to 1100 then would hang around 1400 when i reved it and slowly drop back down. I saw around 850rpm but it wasnt fully warmed up yet (desired 750 but also have some rpm adders in the tune until its warm). So I may need to pull a bit out or the desired or adjust the blade a bit less.

Jay

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast