Thread: Dead ecm

Lifetime Member

Default Dead ecm

I got an 05 lly in and the customer wanted DSP5 put in. he had a tune from another shop in town but wasn't happy with it. so I pulled the tune and there was minimal changes made but I started with a clean stock tune. I drove the truck after I had downloaded the tune and scanned it to make sure it was healthy as it has 180k on it. everything looked good. got back tot he shop and went to flash it and put a switch in. I first pulled the fuses like we all do on LLY's and that's when I noticed he had changed out all his fuses and replaced them with some kind of circuit breaker. when I licensed the ecm (here is where I could have made a mistake) I was watching the messages and it said something like "searching" or "trying" and I noticed the data port cable wasn't connected. I connected it while it was trying to license it and it seemed fine and ,went ahead and licensed it, told me to cycle the key off and that was normal. but after that it wouldn't flash, would not crank, nothing..... I uses the scan tool to see if it would communicate and it seemed to. but when I selected the tool to get the OS number and VIN all of them said N/A

Now it gets better.....I thought maybe it just blew a fuse, I checked them and of course due to these stupid circuit breakers you can't tell. I checked for power at the ecm on the pink ignition wires and had none. then checked the 4 fuses that send the ecm ign volts and they didn't have power either ON EITHER SIDE OF THE FUSE. it burnt up the bus bar inside of the fuse block and has no power to either side pf those 4 fuses. (I've seen this before when a guy tapped the wrong side of the fuse for gauge power) I used a power probe to sent 12 volts to the 4 fuses and see if the ecm would talk or flash and NO GO. I happen to have a good used fuse block from a gas 2500hd and if looks like it will work but I don't want to burn it up again. I know

I will need an ecm. worst part is I had a good LLY ecm and sold it to a guy on Tuesday.

Did connecting the cord while it was trying to license it cause all this?
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E

Quote Originally Posted by catman3126 View Post

I will need an ecm.
    We have them in stock, new and used. PM or email beekiller@cox.net
    Michael, Systems Engineer 04.5 D-max LLY, Phoenix, Arizona Email
    Custom Tuning Services
    DURAMAX/CUMMINS ECM's TCM's for sale, all years, 20% wholesale discount available
    EFILive's first VGT "Software Wastegate Tune"

Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by killerbee View Post
    We have them in stock, new and used. PM or email beekiller@cox.net
    Bench harness flashed it and fixed it. But still doesn't explain the burnt up bus in the ubec.
    2015 3500HD crew cab long bed, 6" fabtech, slightly tuned, emissions intact.
    2005 dmax ccsb, EFI live tuned DSP 5 Full built motor, S471 billet single, More better built trans this time. and lots of other things.
    1984 CJ7 powered by a 2000 LS1. 4L60E.
    2012 Jetta TDI 6 speed manual, (yes the dirty the bastard haha)
    2003 Jetta TDI,
    1986 K10 LQ4/4L80E